Welcome to Hero Forum - Please Introduce yourself (especially Lurkers)

bluesguy

Handle name:

Original name was The Rose. That was inspired by my first Champion's character. Shortly after making him, I joined the forums.

My current handle is based on the characters I use for my name in Japanese: 出蘭. The second character is orchid and the first is used for "to put out", "go out", etc. So I thought Foreign Orchid would be a sufficiently poetic translation.

My first game:

DnD 3.5

My first time GMing:

DnD 3.5

Current:

Nothing for many years.

Foreign Orchid.

Threads like these make me realize how long I've been lurking, and I still haven't played HERO yet :) But it's nice to get a chance chance to introduce myself properly, so here goes.

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

Smoelf is an anglicized spelling of the Danish word for a smurf. Yes, I am a short person. Got the nickname sometime in middle school, and have used it as a username ever since for almost anything.

What was the first tabletop RPG you played?
Technically a Danish system I can't remember the name of, that I tried in 10. grade, but my first real experience was with D&D 3.5 (later moved on to Pathfinder), which a friend of mine introduced me to in (the Danish equivalent of) high school. We ran a couple of campaigns over the next five or so years, before our GM had to go abroad for an exchange stay.

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

I tried running a campaign a while back with Pathfinder, although it ceded after only a few sessions. Mostly because some people stopped responding to Doodles' for arranging a new session, but probably also because I wan't a particularly good GM. That stuff takes practice :)

What are you currently playing/GMing?

Nothing at the moment, due to a combination of our GM being abroad, and myself finishing up a one year-long exchange stay in the US. I do hope to get something up and running when I get back.

When did you start to play Hero?

As I mentioned, I haven't played HERO yet. For some reason I can't remember, I was made aware of HERO years back, and got the 6th edition core books, and some other material, but I think it was after our GM left, and I didn't know the system well enough to start GM'ing it, especially after my past experience. I still return to the books occasionally when I get a cool idea for a character that seems impossible to create with the D&D/Pathfinder system, so I'm still hoping for a chance to try it out :)

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

First Champions character I created and played.  It's also the oldest character I've played.

• What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

Star Frontier

• What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

Star Frontier

• What are you currently playing/GMing?

Nothing at the moment. The one game I was playing in was put on hiatus (probably permanently).

Hi! Our group is switching from ORE's Wild Talents to Hero 6th and we've started digging into the data to figure it all out. 

forum handle - it's just a name I've used for years. 

First Table Top - basic dnd

First GM - Basic dnd or maybe boot hill? that was a long time ago, so....

Currently playing - Vampire, Werewolf, Hero 6th, DnD5e 

• 2 weeks later...

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)

It's a character name from David Gemmell's Troy Trilogy

Basic D&D

Traveller (LBB version)

Currently playing in a Chivalry & Sorcery Campaign (30+ years so far) GMing a slightly confused and haphazardly assembled Street Level Champions Campaign (with Dark Champions outlook) I have titled it "Something Wicked This Way Will Come" although I haven't decided what that something wicked will be yet. :)

So here is my introduction:

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)? I have been a Star Wars fan since 1977, and I love the Dresden Files books by Jim Butcher.  SO... it is just a combonation of my 3 favorite things.
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you played? Oh WOW.  I remember the old d6 Star Wars by West End Games, Palladium's Robotech, and my friends FASA Star Trek game trough high school in the 80's.  After that it was 2nd AD&D in the early 90's.
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?  West End Games Star Wars
  • What are you currently playing/GMing?  Trying to figure out Monster Hunter International by Hero System right now.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)? Name of a D&D 4e character that I really liked and started using it as my online handle.

• What was the first tabletop RPG you played? Basic Set Dungeons and Dragons

• What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed? Basic Set Dungeons and Dragons

• I was first introduced to Hero with a short lived 6e Star Hero game.

• What are you currently playing/GMing? I'm currently running a Savage Worlds - Solomon Kane campaign (almost done after 6 years of ~monthly games). I'm going to run a Fantasy Hero campaign next in a homebrew setting that is heavily influenced by the Malazan Book of the Fallen. I'm currently playing a Pathfinder adventure path.

What's up, everybody? I don't know if I still count as "new" - I started with a flurry of posts - but I've definitely been lurking more since autumn hit. I'll chime in about play styles, rethinking various mechanics, and trying to be mindful of different viewpoints. Also, Papercraft.  :rofl:

Anyway!

• It's an alias that I've used, based on a V:tM character. I actually don't use it on the internet much; I went with it here because I was a little intimidated coming on to these forums, and didn't want a handle that I really use elsewhere just in case. This was incredibly needless - this is one of the most welcoming online communities I've encountered, RPG or otherwise - but by the time I'd realized that, I didn't want to change my handle and confuse people. 

• D&D 3.0, a Dark Suns campaign. It was kind of a toxic atmosphere, very "make fun of the new kid for not knowing the rules/rolling low," but I loved it anyway. I'd also been playing RPGs through LARP for a year or two by that point, so it wasn't really my first RPG experience.

• My roomate was running a Vampire: the Dark Ages campaign. He invited a bunch of people over for the first session, and then didn't show up. After waiting for an hour, he called me, gave me some sketchy details that I didn't write down, and said he'd be there soon. He was not there soon, so having very little idea what I was doing (I had not played any tabletop at this point), I gave it a shot. Went really well, much to my shock.

• I'm GMing a game set in the Mass Effect universe, based (loosely at this point) on FFG's Star Wars engine, that's been going for a little under 3 years, and wrapping up soon.
    • I'm GMing a 1-player game for my S/O that's nominally set in Numenera, with a custom system (as she loathed Numenera's) that's heavily influenced by Planescape: Torment, and the unappreciated Nier.
    • I'm about to start playing in an L5R game (again, with a custom system, as the GM has tried every edition, and isn't satisfied with any of them), and I'm super stoked for that.

Whoops, ignore the blank post please.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?  That's what my oldest and "main" character says when NPCs ask what an "Aether Cerulean" is.
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you played? D&D
  • What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed? D&D
  • What are you currently playing/GMing? None. I hope to play some Champions...

• 3 weeks later...

"Susano" was my first email address (susano@digex.com) and I've used Susano ever since. Susano was selected since I was a huge fan of the manga Orion, and my friend who created the account used the name of one of the main characters for my handle. I've used "Susano" for my net handle ever since.

Basic Dungeons and Dragons (i.e. the original blue book)

Advanced Dungeons and Dragons

Friday Group - Dungeons and Dragons 5E 

Saturday Group - Shadows Angelus (HERO System 6E)

Sunday Group - The Well of the Worlds (HERO System 6E)

I am playing in Friday and Saturday and am GMing Sunday.

Origin story:

"Short, round and hairy" and I channel various different Wombles as circumstances warrant.

First rodeo:

Basic D&D in about '78; player and DM.

Current gigs:

• D&D 3.5ed putatively fortnightly, but life is making it more like monthly recently.
  • King Arthur Pendragon, a campaign intended to run the whole "Great Pendragon Campaign" from Uther to Camlann a year a session, running monthly. We've managed 10.5 years in 12 months.
  • Another D&D 3.5 game an a biannual Con I go to.
  • Empire: a 4 x a year fest LARP.
It's not even like I like D&D, but it's the only game in town... I'm working on a Hero-based Shadowrun-alike, and a "What if the Trojans burned that horse (and all the Greek heroes in it)?" alternative Classical-period fantasy game.

I first played Hero system with Champions, possibly even when it first came out, in the early 80s.

Origin story:

"Short, round and hairy" and I channel various different Wombles as circumstances warrant.

First rodeo:

Basic D&D in about '78; player and DM.

Current gigs:

• D&D 3.5ed putatively fortnightly, but life is making it more like monthly recently.
  • King Arthur Pendragon, a campaign intended to run the whole "Great Pendragon Campaign" from Uther to Camlann a year a session, running monthly. We've managed 10.5 years in 12 months.
  • Another D&D 3.5 game an a biannual Con I go to.
  • Empire: a 4 x a year fest LARP.
It's not even like I like D&D, but it's the only game in town... I'm working on a Hero-based Shadowrun-alike, and a "What if the Trojans burned that horse (and all the Greek heroes in it)?" alternative Classical-period fantasy game.

I first played Hero system with Champions, possibly even when it first came out, in the early 80s.

If you're looking at Hero-based Shadowrun-alike, have you seen Kazei 5?

First Champions character I was satisfied with, based on Captain America

D%26d_original.jpg

Back in 1978

See above image

Tend to play only Champions with a slight smattering of Pathfinder

First Champions character I was satisfied with, based on Captain America

D%26d_original.jpg

Back in 1978

See above image

Tend to play only Champions with a slight smattering of Pathfinder

Wow. The Basic Set that came with the module In Search of the Unknown, aka Quasquaton. The reason I tell people I have actually never been to the Keep on the Borderlands because I got into D&D too EARLY for that module.

Lucius Alexander

That was be ore I had a palindromedary

Wow. The Basic Set that came with the module In Search of the Unknown, aka Quasquaton. The reason I tell people I have actually never been to the Keep on the Borderlands because I got into D&D too EARLY for that module.

Lucius Alexander

That was be ore I had a palindromedary

The Version of the Boxed set that I got didn't even have In Search of the Unknown. It came with Dungeon Geomorphs and Monster and Treasure Assortment I. So I was building my own dungeons from the beginning of my RPG experience. It wasn't until I started to play with slightly younger folk(people from the class younger than mine) that I saw Keep on the Boarderlands.

I also believe that Killer.Shrike also had some relevant cyberpunk-ish setting stuff on one of his websites. And with a quick look, it would seem to be named "Meta Cyber". It has been a very long time since I read through all that material but it was some great stuff. He had a variety of characters and equipment built along with some character creation guides. The last time I was thinking of running a game (many a year ago now), I was thinking of using his MetaCyber or 'Here there be monsters' setting - a setting where I even manage to contribute one (or two?**) characters to. All very good stuff! 

Speaking of K.S, is he active under another handle these days or just not active on the forums at all anymore? I can't say I have seen him around for at least a couple years and probably more. 

Soar. 

**I stand corrected. I made 4 published contributions. That said, KS did a lot of touch up work to make then better. ^^

• 2 weeks later...

I've been around (mostly lurking) since the start of the boards but I figured I would chime in anyway.

I earned my handle when I first went online.   

What was the first tabletop RPG you Played?  

D&D in the early 80's. 

D&D in the early 80's. 

What are you currently Playing/GMing?  

GURPS Fantasy alternating with GURPS Firefly. 

In the late 80's and early 90's. Champions of Course.

Cheers 

QM

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from the lurky shadows. :-)

I first started using the handle when I joined the EN World forums some years back. I was a bartender at the time and had the occasional drink while working (to stop from getting bored). For my handle I wanted something to play on "DnD" and decided DrunkonDuty came close enough.

What was the first tabletop RPG you Played?  

A mash up of AD&D 1e and Basic. I didn't realise they were different games.

A mash up of AD&D 1e and Basic.

What are you currently Playing/GMing?  

I'm running a 1 on 1 Pathfinder game for my partner.

But as I have just moved to a new city (Canberra, if anyone local happens to read this) I am on the look out for a new regular game.

Introduced to it back in about 89/90. It was 4th Edition IIRC. I remember I was quite dismissive of all the stats and having to build my own powers  and said the game was far too complicated to be enjoyable. I changed my mind.

How Did I Come Up With My Handle: Did A Personality Test And The Results Told Me I Was Like Johnny Appleseed and I Chose 98 because that is when my favorite movie "Saving Private Ryan" came out.

What Was The First RPG I Played: D+D Edition 3.5

What Was The First RPG I GMed: HERO Champions

What Am I Currently Playing: HERO Champions, Pathfinder, and Call Of Cthulhu

When I Started To Play HERO: I First Played HERO when I Was 11 years old.

As Words Die A New Challenger Approaches.

Speaking of K.S, is he active under another handle these days or just not active on the forums at all anymore? I can't say I have seen him around for at least a couple years and probably more. 

I corresponded with Killer Shrike a couple of months back over at rpg.net. I was inquisitive about FATE and he pointed me to his Pathfinder Fate Accelerated hack. As with all things Killer Shrike, he put a lot of creative energy and heart into fleshing out FAE into a really awesome resource. I got the impression that KS was a little burnt on Hero and was taking a break. He never explicitly stated as much, but context clues and all.