Welcome to Hero Forum - Please Introduce yourself (especially Lurkers)

bluesguy

Hi! Been a Champions nut for a very long time (1985, 3rd ed) but been quite inactive over the last decade and a half. Ran a lot of 3rd and 4th ed but skipped over Fuzion (ugh) and 5th ed. Champions Complete has recently fallen into my lap and the old juices are starting to flow again.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

I picked up a nickname as "The Missing Link" at my first proper job. Link is "Rinku" in Japanese which I was always a fan of. Nothing to do with Zelda - but because of Link from Zelda I got into the habit of sticking the "m" for missing in front to make a handle. 

• What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

1st Edition Traveller, circa 1980.

• What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

Ditto.

• What are you currently playing/GMing?

Playing 2nd Ed Space:1889 (Ubiquity version) with the old gang via Skype. Prepping to run Champions 6th after we finish that campaign.

Edit: Just added a profile picture. Never played Captain Third in a tabletop game, but he's appeared in City of Heroes, DCUO, Pirates of the Burning Sea and has a miniature (pictured). Probably I should have a picture of Robo-bushi or Dwarfstar who go back to my actual Champions playing days, but Cap started as a wargaming tournament in-joke and the first drawing of him was as a forum profile portrait, so hey.

• Ford is my last name, I was in the Army, and we used our last name + last four for all of our gear overseas. Made it to where I don't gotta fight too much for a handle. :)
    • D&D 3rd Ed.
    • D&D 3.5
    • Currently, nothing. Just purchased the BR and the 6E bundle, so hoping to dive into a game soon, or start one.

• 2 months later...

Name and middle initial. I know, creative.

Champions! the BBB

Champions

On hiatus from a group with System Attention-Deficit Disorder (Savage Worlds, Numenera, Dnd, Fantasy Craft, Shadow of the Demon Lord). A lot of false starts.

• When did you start to play Hero?

1990 ish. Think I ordered it from an American Entertainment catalog.

Guess I should introduce myself.

Let's see... I'm Era, a bit autistic (and thus quiet and shy), love computers, computer games, role playing, programming, and other things.

I learned about Herosystem (5E) back in 2005 when I was in Korea (military), and in 2006-2007 I came here to get into my first 5E fantasy game in Brightwood (and haven't had a chance to play since :()

Other than some posts years ago (commenting on powers and mistakes in the books etc) most of those seem to have been either archived or deleted...

So I've more or less not here or paying attention, But... I'd like to be here more now, since video games can't seem to keep my attention quite as easily the last year.

---

So I guess there's a few standard questions...

When I was on ICQ I wanted a way to differentiate myself so I was more searchable. So I decided on Era, then later while doing my paperroute the name Hawkeye came to mind (MASH), now of course I didn't want to steal that so I went to Crow, then Scarecrow.... yeah... not very exciting...

D&D 2nd Ed

D&D 2nd Ed (limited experience, but had one really good session!)

Looking... if there were a hobby shop in my town, I'd probably be gone 2 nights a week playing...

Otherwise playing video games trying to keep myself occupied.

How is it that I've never done this yet? Oh well, better late....

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

One of my Champions characters was exiled from a secretive mystical society; he used his talents (enhanced by a 'radiation accident' that also gave him super-strength) and became a superhero. His code name was Pariah. Also, it's a pretty good description of my life in high school--not quite "leper-outcast-unclean", but pretty close.

What was the first tabletop RPG you Played?  

Like so many others, Dungeons and Dragons. That would've been Christmas of 1981, or thereabouts.

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?  

Probably also D&D, though not more than once or twice. The first time I GMed on a long-term basis was when I thought my hometown gaming group Champions, the summer after my first year of college.

What are you currently Playing/GMing?  

Nothing. :( My gaming group is inconveniently far away, and I have class on the night they play.

When did you start to play Hero?  

Winter of 1986-7. Third edition.

When watching Superman 2 when I was around 10 years old, when Zod says "Jor-El? Our jailer?" and "Revenge! We will kill the son of our jailer!" I mis-heard Terence Stamp saying "our jailer" in his english accent and thought Jor-El's second name was Arjailer. I realised my mistake a few years later, but liked the name, so it stuck  :-)

Inherited a copy of Moldvay D&D Basic in around 1983 from a family friend who'd returned to Scotland after living in America for a while. I had no idea how to play it at first, but I was fascinated by it, so we bumbled through and eventually worked it out.

Probably around 1984/85 - a school friend got the Menzter D&D Basic and I started playing in his game.

D&D 5e with my sons (14 and 16)  We've been playing for a few years now, and they're finally getting to the point where they're starting to read the books themselves and take an interest beyond just "I hit the orcs with my sword".

A friend ran 1st edition Fantasy Hero, probably around 1989-ish. I liked the flexibility of the point-based system, and by the time I bought and started running F.H. it was the 2nd edition (with the Elmore snow cover). I've since got 4th and 5th editions (I tend to stick to fantasy and star hero), but haven't got 6th yet.

Edit: Turns out I did get 6th edition in a Bundle of Holding - guess I haven't read it yet though  :-)

Edit 2: Thinking of trying my kids with Hero after our current D&D 5e game is done - hence why I've started lurking around here again  :-)

Edited by Arjailer

I coulda sworn I'd done this already but the thread isn't starred for me, so...

My first Champions character was a powered armor type called Arsenal.  When I started playing City of Heroes, that name wasn't available so I took Armory.

AD&D, back in 1978 or '79.

Same answer.

Since my discovery of Champions in 1982, I have not played nor GMed any other RPG.  My current campaign has been running about 10 years with the same group of players, a current-day superhero game (I share a universe with two other GMs who each runs a separate team).  We're still using 5Er for that one.  The link to the Obsidian Portal site is in my sig.

1982, I think it was 2nd Edition (gray cover).  It was just me and a friend of mine, we both fell in love with it immediately.  He had already been trying to run a superhero game in AD&D; my Half-Elven thief PC had obtained a 'suit of the gods', enchanted leather armor that gave her all kinds of powers.  It was stupid, but we were 17 and new to the whole concept.  Champions and the Hero System were exactly what we were looking for.

• 7 months later...

Hello.

Totally new to Hero. I've had a copy of the Danger International boxset scored at a Half Price Books on my shelf for years and just now started to dig into it. Came from primarily d20 gaming, have a healthy collection of GURPS, and am now going down the rabbit hole of Hero.

Its a play on words from a lyric of a song from the Pixies

Star Wars d6. Then Top Secret/S.I. (mom was too scared of D&D to allow that satanic crap in our house)

TSR Marvel

In a strongly devoted d20 group playing Pathfinder.

I have yet to start. Looking at it as maybe the home system for my family.

Edited by Jeffrywith1e
answering the questions

17 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Hello.

Totally new to Hero. I've had a copy of the Danger International boxset scored at a Half Price Books on my shelf for years and just now started to dig into it. Came from primarily d20 gaming, have a healthy collection of GURPS, and am now going down the rabbit hole of Hero.

Its a play on words from a lyric of a song from the Pixies

Star Wars d6. Then Top Secret/S.I. (mom was too scared of D&D to allow that satanic crap in our house)

TSR Marvel

In a strongly devoted d20 group playing Pathfinder.

I have yet to start. Looking at it as maybe the home system for my family.

Oh man... Danger International is my single favorite Hero System product, and I've been playing since 80-81... whenever first Edition came out. But I didn't know there was a box-set? Really? I just went to RPG Geek to see if there was a listing for it. Do you have a picture you could post of this box set? I'd be fascinated to see it.

Welcome to Hero!

I don't think I ever did this. This thread wasn't here when the boards first began... what was that... 2003 or so?

RDU refers to my long running Champs campaign... begun in '87 and technically still has a game once or twice a year... ran pretty much weekly for 25 years. Neil refers to me. (Have used this handle online since '87 as well.)

AD&D... played the intro adventure from and early Dungeon Magazine (have to look in my collection, as I have the first 50 issues or so.) That original group moved to 1st Edition Champions (after trying Top Secret, Aftermath, Traveller...) and never looked back.

Again, AD&D after having played a while, wanted to make my own dungeon... a magical pyramid in the middle of the desert with a Lich ruling over all the traps and terrors and a rainbow bridge from the top where you had to battle the Kobold god to escape. Whatever... I was 14...

Currently running a bi-weekly campaign I call Secret Worlds using Hero. Think a combination of the Bourne movies with the X-Files... lots of martial arts, shoot-outs, conspiracies, Russian mobsters, Yakuza, weird science, ancient cabals, etc. Looking forward to a yearly get-together in July of some of my long term friends who have spread out over the land, and have a blow-out weekend of gaming back in my original supers campaign, mentioned above. (Well... blow-out weekend, is usually pretty tame for those of us now at a certain age where staying awake past 11pm is a hardship, but you know...)

15 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

Oh man... Danger International is my single favorite Hero System product, and I've been playing since 80-81... whenever first Edition came out. But I didn't know there was a box-set? Really? I just went to RPG Geek to see if there was a listing for it. Do you have a picture you could post of this box set? I'd be fascinated to see it.

Welcome to Hero!

Sure thing.

Here are images from the boxset https://imgur.com/a/u1qGRfS

7 hours ago, Jeffrywith1e said:

Sure thing.

That is totally cool! Except for the box, I have (or had) everyone of those pieces, all separately attained. The Adventurers Club I got as a single issue. DI itself I just bought the book. The hex map came with... something in 3rd Edition Champs, I think. That response card was in several products... heh.  Real throw back in time, seeing all that, but I'd never seen in packaged in a DI box like that.

A small RPG treasure there. Thanks for sharing.

On 5/7/2018 at 9:36 PM, Jeffrywith1e said:

Sure thing.

Thanks for sharing those - it's pretty neat to see such a relatively rare edition.  If you wouldn't mind, I have two questions about the actual Danger International book within the box:

• Is it perfect-bound or saddle-stitched?
  • What printing number and date are shown on the title page?

Thanks in advance ?

1 hour ago, rravenwood said:

Thanks for sharing those - it's pretty neat to see such a relatively rare edition.  If you wouldn't mind, I have two questions about the actual Danger International book within the box:

• Is it perfect-bound or saddle-stitched?
  • What printing number and date are shown on the title page?

Thanks in advance ?

It is perfect-bound. First Printing November 1985

20180509_220957.jpg

Well, managed to find this rabbit-hole of a place and get on, may as well give my piece!

That part is the easy one. The name came from Golden Sun Dark Age, the name of a supporting cast character. Considering their role was such a departure from the tried and true methods of the other characters, and that the original game holds a special place in my heart, I used the name online once or twice. Eight years later, seems to have stuck.

D&D 3.5, not far back for many, but off in 2011. Easy enough to learn, hard as all get out to master with all the ad-dons that came after the core. That campaign lasted about two years, and the birth of one of our player's child. After that, we moved away and only rarely chat. Far as they've mentioned, they still swing D&D about on the rare occasion.

D&D 5e, not a year and a half ago. A nice and pretty world, more ruled by underpinning conspiracy's and hired leaders quelling local rabble. Leaders of dying countries sitting atop their mountain of pride to rule it all into the dirt lest their name be marred. Learned hard and fast that your world is plenty fine and dandy until PC's make crazy ideas and you let them run with them. Also helps to figure out if the players are looking for Dungeon Delves or inner turmoil and bizarre lenses for examination of human conditions. Lessons more or less learnt. 

I'm currently playing in World of Darkness, the Chronicles of Darkness in nWoD, not the old Masquerade-eske set. Something struck between a dour mystery and a Lovecraftian tea-party. Where the fact one swallowed a key is equally important as where the werewolves are. Nightmarish convoluted, as these things tend to grow, but a fun and amusing sort. Been going on now for some year and a half, and only just pushing our GM to their limits. 

• When did you start playing Hero?

Considering I can count the number of weeks I've known about the Hero system on my thumbs, hate to say that I haven't! Lovely system from what I've been able to devour of it. Convoluted too, but not in the traditional extraneous rules way, but in what it lets the players and GM do in it. A less focused direction in any one point, but that's sort of the point now isn't it? To let it become what is envisioned in the world of Hero's and Villains and underdogs and monsters, ect... Required flaws, more than comprehensive skill, equipment, base, vehicle lists, and the ability to create something fresh and new, or rehash an old classic in a new way... Well, I quite enjoy the look of it, and am looking forward to seeing what experiences it might bring! 

I came up the name Cassandra Harbinger because it's perfect for a know it all.

The first role playing game I played was Supervillains, a early 80s game produced by Task Force Games.

I've never GMed a game.

I'm currently not playing actively.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 1:59 PM, Sveta said:

Considering I can count the number of weeks I've known about the Hero system on my thumbs, hate to say that I haven't! Lovely system from what I've been able to devour of it. Convoluted too, but not in the traditional extraneous rules way, but in what it lets the players and GM do in it. A less focused direction in any one point, but that's sort of the point now isn't it? To let it become what is envisioned in the world of Hero's and Villains and underdogs and monsters, ect... Required flaws, more than comprehensive skill, equipment, base, vehicle lists, and the ability to create something fresh and new, or rehash an old classic in a new way... Well, I quite enjoy the look of it, and am looking forward to seeing what experiences it might bring! 

If and when you get the chance to play Hero, I'd be fascinated to hear tell of how it works for you, what you/your group does with it, etc. Especially as your other comments make you seem to enjoy very character driven/world building type of games, and how you use Hero to make that happen. Examples of newbies playing, compared to all of us old farts that have been doing Hero since it was Champions in 1980 or so... I'd really like to hear your stories.

1 hour ago, RDU Neil said:

If and when you get the chance to play Hero, I'd be fascinated to hear tell of how it works for you, what you/your group does with it, etc. Especially as your other comments make you seem to enjoy very character driven/world building type of games, and how you use Hero to make that happen. Examples of newbies playing, compared to all of us old farts that have been doing Hero since it was Champions in 1980 or so... I'd really like to hear your stories.

Ha! I'd be glad to share what I find, when I find it that is! Fresh blood, new ideas, or at least old ideas rehashed in a different light. I'll make certain to do just that!

• it was the name of a Champions: New Millennium character that I made
    • 2nd Edition AD&D
    • starting a new street level Champions game this weekend
  • When did you start to play Hero?
    • it was the 90s, BBB, leather pants, angsty music...a different time ;)