Welcome to Hero Forum - Please Introduce yourself (especially Lurkers)

bluesguy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello there.

Z-man is a nickname I have had since childhood on account of my name being Zack, and the 42 is a reference to my favorite book series, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy.

My first RPG I played was also the one I GMd first: Dungeons and Dragons 4e. I enjoyed it until I started learning other RPGs at which point I realized that 4e is kinda dull.

I am currently running a supers Hero System game.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

Stelknecht was the first Mud character I made, on Medievia, about 20 years ago. I adopted it as an online handle, and (to my delight) have rarely found others using it. Often enough to be annoying, but not frequent. Never used it as a P&P character name, though. 

• What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

Red Box D&D, of course, which I just realized, almost exactly date checks every one of us who admits that. 

• What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

Same as above. 

• What are you currently playing/GMing?

A D20 Modern game based on Dies the Fire, by SM Stirling, and previously, a few pathfinder oneshots. I'm trying not to scare this new group before I gently try to introduce them to point buy systems, like Hero or GURPS, both of which I prefer vastly to D20 in any ramification (I just don't like the die). Hopefully a Hero system is a good intro; super heros are fun. Played a TON of champions back in the early 80's; was my go to for almost any genre. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Hello everyone!!

Let see... 

Long ago when I started in beta with Star Wars Galaxies online, i wanted a different name and came across Xanithra which was interesting enough so that became my account name.  And through the ages online for various things sites and games (WOW, Rift, SWTOR, etc), I have used it as my logins to sites.  

D&D Basic set first edition (1977ish) along with the AD&D first edition hard cover books (PH, MM and DMG) in 1977ish also.  Damn I feel old putting those dates there. 

AD&D and D&D Basic (Red box). 

Playing:  Arduin/AD&D  ,  Shadowrun 5E  

GMing:  Star Wars D6 WEG (first edition/second edition) (alternates with same players in our Shadowrun 5E game when the GM needs a break)

If you are new to Hero or run games and have players who are, and like fantasy, there is a thread here

http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/94641-problems-with-fantasy-hero-complete-and-newbies/

In the Fantasy Hero section of the boards, where we're trying to get your input.

We now return to your regularly scheduled introductions

Lucius Alexander

After a message from this palindromedary

Hi, all,

I've been here a bit but not introduced myself - apologies for rudeness.

My handle, Doccowie? My name's Andrew Cowie, I have a lot of friends called Andrew, they tend to call me Doc to differentiate.

First tabletop RPG? Holmes Basic D&D. A friend's American aunt bought it for him and he brought it back to London. Same one I GMd. So, that's, er 39 years ago...

What am I currently playing/DMing? Mostly 5E - I've been playing with the same group for 20+ years, and they ain't shifting from D&D.

Why am I here? Well, I see D&D as going out for pizza with my mates, it's great fun, and we love it - but that doesn't stop me experimenting with a gourmet rule system. When they change their minds - I'll be ready!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all:

I've actually had a HERO Games account for 10+ years but haven't posted to this latest incarnation of the boards.

How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?

It's the name of my most played Champions character (mostly as an NPC while I GMed) and the last I ever played as a PC.

What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

Dungeons and Dragons basic set (the one which included "In Search of the Unknown")

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed?

same

What are you currently playing/GMing?

Nothing (for a long time)

When did you start playing HERO?

I ran into someone who played Champions at a relative's block party (summer of 83, I think) and was invited into his group, a great bunch of players with whom I played (mostly Champions, some AD&D) for the next 7 or so years.

Mom gave it to me.

Three Book Dungeons & dragons in 1976

Dungeons & Dragons

Playing Pathfinder, Interested in possibly GM'ming Fantasy Hero (Home brew World).

I was one of the original "Doug's Thugs" for the Fantasy Hero playtest,  Also was one of the early Hero Games artist, back in the pre-5th edition days. Inow the system fairly well and would like to get back into it.

Hello, my name is Trentin and it's been WAY too long since I've played Hero...

:-D

I played the heck out of 5er, been a fan for a long time. Revisiting the 6th edition and really liking what I'm seeing. I'm hoping to create some digital tools for the game, and some adventure frameworks for "pick up and play". First I need to immerse myself in the game again and start GMing it. Looking forward to more discussions with the fans!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. New to the forum, brought in by the MHI game. In all my years of gaming none of the groups I have been associated with have even been remotely interested in the Hero system, so the rule set is totally foreign to me. Hoping to find out more before committing to the game.

But in the meantime, introductions.

- 1upus because Lupus was taken. And no, I do not suffer from lupus. Latin for wolf

What was the first tabletop RPG you played?

- first ever RPG was D&D, basic box, which I'm sure dates me

- in the 1980s, way before Star Wars d20, my gaming group of the day reskinned AD&D into a Star Wars RPG set around the classic trilogy. A long time ago before the prequels were even imagined by fanboys.

What are you currently playing/GMing?

- haven't GM'd for a long time due to a lack of preparation time.Current gaming revolves around John Wick's Blood & Honor. Relatively rule light and I live the collaborative fiction feel if the way the game runs.

Additional note: What brought you to the Hero System?

- as mentioned, I am a huge fan of MHI and only discovered recently there was an official RPG. Here to find out more.

I'm also a big fan of the GrimNoir stories amd am considering reskinning Champions to create a Grim Noir game.

• 3 weeks later...

• Hi I'm Illaden, The name was an inspiration from the Greece story illiaden not the Warcraft character illidan 

Been playing tabletop RPG since I was 11 so around 15 years now 

The first tabletop RPG I played was called EON a Swedish fantasy rpg 

The first Tabletop RPG I Gm:ed was also a swedish rpg called Mutant heir of the apocalypse (best translation I could find)

• Atm I'm playing loads of diffrent RPG such as Exalted, Heroes 6:th edition, Shadowrun and will start with Dungeons and dragons 5th edition soon

- 1upus because Lupus was taken. And no, I do not suffer from lupus. Latin for wolf

I keep reading your handle as 1-up-us as in "one-up-us", which may be putting unreasonable pressure on you to perform but sounds way cooler in my head than lupus. In any case, welcome to the HERO-hood.

My favorite Knight of the Round Table (Urien is either a Knight or an Ally of Arthur, depending on the saga). I liked the portrayal of Urien from Excalibur (1980) the most. A person who did not give his allegiance easily, but when he did, he was loyal to a fault. 

What was the first tabletop RPG you Played?  

Red Box DnD (Mentzer).

See Above

What are you currently Playing/GMing?  

Savage Worlds. Looking at getting into Fantasy Hero.

When did you start to play Hero?  

Early 90s 4th edition.

​Combination of one of my first Shadowrun characters, Ice and a nickname I had prior Hawke.

Don't recall if it was D&D or Champions.

Most likely D&D

Champions - GM. Occasionally Shadowrun, and a game of my own devising, Via Astrum.

Hi.  Remember me?  I used to be very active on these boards some years ago.  I remember some of you.  Hi.  I've been away a long time, and haven't been Heroing or RPGing at all.  I don't have the group I used to have to play with.  Then t'other day, the thought occurred to me to look up something I wrote on these boards way back when.  And thoughts have been going through my head of my old fantasy campaign world.  I don't know if I'll resume my former activity level here, but maybe I'll at least stop in to keep up-to-date.  I have the 5th edition (FREd), but not the 6th, and many of the 5th edition books (and some earlier ones, too - 4th, 3rd).

If you were around when I last e-roamed these e-halls, you may remember my avatar.  I probably should change it, since it's source is no longer relevant.  But I'll keep it for now in case it jogs your memory.

My parents came up with it, actually.

What was the first tabletop RPG you Played?  

Red Box DnD, like everyone else, followed quickly by 1st ed. AD&D.  It was the only game in town.

Module B1 - "In Search of the Unknown"  A rather generic title - couldn't any module be described the same way?  Was there ever a module called "The Place that We Already Know Everything About"?

What are you currently Playing/GMing?  

Not currently playing/GMing any RPGs, but if I could, I'd love to start GMing Fantasy Hero again, or playing Hero in nearly any genre.  I've been mostly playing board games recently, which I also greatly enjoy.

When did you start to play Hero?  

I guess it would have been 3rd ed. Champions in the early '80s.  Never went back to that previous system, except for a few isolated times when that's what they were playing, and it was deendee or nothing.

• How did you come up with your 'handle' (forum name)?  Originally my screen was Meadayon but I want to change my screen to something else.  My original screen of Meadyaon was the name of demigod I had created the Heroes Unlimited before I switch to Champions.  I then choose my new screen name to be TheNaga which is the name of my half human/half snake character with six arms.  My avatar picture shows you what my character my screen name is based on will somewhat look like when he is done mutating.

What was the first tabletop RPG you played? 2nd Edition D&D boxed set you could buy at Toy "R" Us

What was the first tabletop RPG you GMed? 2nd Edition D&D boxed set you could buy at Toy "R" Us

What are you currently playing/GMing? Nothing at the moment.