The People of Campaign City

Hermit

Excellent characterizations pretty much across the board.  I've copied all to date into a Word document, and plan to look for photos of people online to put next to each one, give me a simple visual to show the players when they run into them.  Because yes, I plan to use many of them.

As a GM, I appreciate characters who are unique and memorable; who could regularly interact with at least one and possibly more PCs; and have growth potential (in that their interactions with the PCs will cause them to subtly change over time, and ideally cause the PCs to similarly grow as characters).

That said, my favorites thus far are... well, I'm tempted to list all of them, but that wouldn't be very helpful.  I'll start with the Bail Bondsman, the Bartender, the Charity Worker, the Gambler, and the Military Commander.  All have good long-term possibilities for interaction with the heroes.

I think it would probably be more instructive to list one I'm not as fond of, and the reason why.  I like the character of the Artist, but other than as background I don't see a lot of potential uses for her.  Sure, she could maybe witness a criminal act and then, instead of reporting it to the police normally she paints it on the street or a wall, leading the heroes to seek her out for information they need to nab the perps.  But that would really only work once.

I hope all of that helps a bit.  Keep up the great work, Hermit.  A very worthy project.

Thank you, Bolo. This is just what I needed to help grant me another perspective. I like the photo use idea. It certainly would help my own players and I might do the same. Your criteria for your preferences makes perfect sense to me, and has reminded me of how I will want to keep long term usefulness in mind.

I see your point about the artist being more limited in her interaction but I'll confess, I half way expect one of the players in my games to take a shine to her. Not all of them are like this, but at least one has a habit of "I found an NPC I like, can we keep him/her?" :) 

It may not be Nydia of course. Part of the fun of PCs is they'll have their own views on my NPCs no matter how likable or not I try to play the latter up as.

The Police Officer 

Roberto Barrera is a rookie cop. Fresh out of the Academy, Roberto is one of those guys the department is happy to show off to prove its "commitment to diversity." Roberto is okay with that, as long no one assumes that's how he got into the academy. He worked darn hard to qualify, and he takes pride in it. That pride does not equate to arrogance, however. He tips his hat to women and older citizens as he walks by wishing them good day. He is happy to provide directions. Officer Roberto patrols on foot as much as allowed, thinking it will keep him in touch with the people he's protecting.

He's never met a super powered individual, and like a lot of red blooded American guys, the sight of a good looking woman in spandex is liable to cause his jaw to hit the floor before he recovers and tries to pick it up again. Officer Barrera has that odd mix of courage and optimism that may drive some heroes crazy even if they take a liking to them. He'll volunteer to be a decoy if a hero needs it despite the dangers, and it may take a moment for him to realize that shooting a villainous Brick a second time isn't going to work any better just because you step closer for the next firing. In short, he may yet get himself killed, but he'll also be the sort to save a life. A bit wet behind the ears Roberto maybe, but he's got the potential to be a great cop.

Roberto comes from a large family, lower middle class, and in contrast to the police officers who've had family members in previous generations in the Force, is the first member of his family to put on the blue. They're a squabbling, loving, often voice raising mess of a clan, and while his mama fusses to him about staying safe to the point of embarrassing him, most of them are proud of him.

Not everyone in Roberto's family is on the up and up.  Carlos (One of his cousins), who he greatly admires as a 'War hero'  has indeed done his tour of duty with the army, but has now singed up with the Shadow Army of the Warlord! Carlos isn't always in town, but sometimes the Warlord wants something done in the city, and that's when Carlos 'visits'. As Roberto rises in the ranks (Assuming he isn't killed), Carlos won't be above picking him for knowledge of what's going down in law enforcement and other branches of city function the better to perform black ops at weak points and the like. Should Roberto discover Carlos' real allegiance, he'll linger on denial, and then skip right to angry. It'll be the closest he comes to being a 'maverick cop' as he makes it his job to take his cousin in. Sadly, a noble heart does not always mean victory- He'll need help.

QUOTE: "You need to start using your head. They may call it a 'five fingered discount' but it can land you in jail for months and cost a fortune in legal fees. No, I'm not arresting you, but we are calling your mother right now. Yes, 'I gotta'"

The Priest

Reverend Carter C. Bergland is a large mouthed, roaring man of God when on the pulpit! He rails against the indifference of man to the suffering of his brothers! He shakes his fist in frustration at those who would serve the false gods of pride and fear when they should be kneeling gratefully before the Almighty! Pity for the unbelievers, but SHAME upon those who claim to believe and then use that claim for selfish ends! Surely the fires of hell hunger for the pretender far more than they ever did the skeptic! Rev. Bergland cheers joyously at the wonders the Lord has made! He laments the wickedness of the world!

His sermons go up to 11!

A lot of his congregation joke about Brother Carter's blood pressure probably being a might too high, but the truth is, once off the sermon, the Reverend hams it up less (a little less) and can be down right warm instead of heated or fiery. Any stranger to his church is liable to find him greeting them with a firm and exuberant hand shake for the Reverend truly seems happy to meet "a fellow sinner just trying to get better, and aren't we all?"  While his attitude and faith may get on the nerves of some who do not share his beliefs, the Reverend understands that there are good people who disagree with him and will try to aid said good folk. 

Reverend Bergland's church looks after those in the congregation who are struggling with hospital bills, loss of loved ones, and so on. They also help the great community as a whole, not just knocking on doors and inviting them to services, but cleaning up highways, collecting for food drives, and more. Reverend Bergland himself often leads these initiatives. 

The Reverend's bombast is not that rare among religious folks, and charity is hardly a monopoly, so he might not have made the news, if not for his strong stand on Superhumans. You see, the Reverend is for them! He sees this as a sign that a time of new Miracles is upon us! And those that have powers have these powers for a reason, and that reason must surely be to help their fellow man for "To whom much is given, much will be asked!" He believes that Superheroes, whether they know it or not, are doing God's work. Though he does stop at those who would kill "Vengeance is mine, Sayeth the Lord!" He has gone on some radio shows to debate against other religious leaders who think superhumans are the work of the devil, arguing not just with passion but praticality "By their fruits you shall know them! They save lives! They fight the wicked! We cannot see souls, so must judge by deed but  I don't care if a man has horns on his head as long as he's got a halo around his heart, can I get an Amen?!"

The Reverend has a good PRE score, a genuine benevolent faith in his heart, and, unbeknownst to him ,his touch would set a vampire or demon to sizzling like bacon on a hot plate. Not everyone is his friend though, even among the well-intentioned. Case in point, he has gone loggerheads with one Lousia Forrestal more than once. She believes superhumans should yield to the greater good, he believes that her push for increased registration hinders their right to conscience. She's pushing for a boycott of his church. Nor is the Rev the only religious figure in the city. One rival has accused him of Idolatry in that he seems to almost worship superheroes! Boy that accusation sets Carter to seething but he tries to forgive the man. Finacially speaking, the Reverend is doing alright, and he's actually thought about offering to help support the superheroes in the town. If they take too long to form a proper team, he may (secretly) offer them some property he inherited to set up a base at. Lots of teams have sponsors, but a reverend who sees them as "Blessed"  as one might understandably be a bit much, particularly if he drops by now and then mentioning he hadn't seen them at last service ;) Sadly, it is also possible a wolf in super clothing might arrive, milk the church and the Reverend for all he's got, and then either flee, or even reveal their true and less than noble colors, thus breaking a good shepherd's heart

QUOTE: "Some say I see them as Angels! NO, no sir! They are mortal flesh and blood sinners! Each and everyone of them, but you know what? So am I! So are you! But I tell you now, these good and faithful servants have taken the coin of power they have been given, and they seek to use it rightly! How many of us, how many of us, instead act as wicked and deceitful slaves to fear and instead squander our gifts for ourselves alone? Many of them are better sinners than I and I call them brother."

The Professor

Prof. Joan Block has tenure as the head of the department of Psychology at the City's biggest university. The elderly woman is quick witted and lively, and makes sure to keep up with latest schools of thought though she isn't afraid to challenge them either. Her job is, thanks to the aforementioned tenure, pretty secure, but she still remembers the days of 'Publish or Perish' and cranks out papers and even books from time to time. Actually, more than one has hit the best seller list in the last 20 years. The first big success was A MonkeySphere of One , a gripping look inside the mindset of the sociopath. In it, Prof  Block detailed, among other things, the crimes of 'Star Face', the serial killer who always left a five pointed star on his victim's face as a calling card and terrorized the city for three years before finally being caught (in no small part thanks to her advising the authorities). 

The second book to hit it big was Power Conscripts , a look into what drove those suddenly given great power to become superheroes rather than just live their lives for themselves "To be suddenly granted a greater scope of capability is change, and change is frightening! It maybe that with great power comes a great need for stability. Preservation of community and those within it provides a haven, it makes the circle bigger, but it is still a circle, with safe and secure borders that the mind can cling to for shelter." It discussed the dynamics of power, and why the average person might resent the hero not just for their power, but for  their refusal to abuse that power "For someone to have superior strength? We can accept that as a freak accident, a burp in genetics or probability, but superior morality? That is a mirror that shows us too many of our own short comings we can and should better but don't; and some of us will always hate them for it." Some critics thought it was a scathing commentary against superheroes and their arrogant presumption and martyr complexes, others thought instead the book chastised the common man for willful pettiness.  The Professor, true to her own stance as an educator, has simply said that what one learns from her works may say as much about that person as it does the book.

Professor Block is one of those figures that a superhero could turn to to understand a villain's mindset, or, if he is worried about his sanity, his own. While she's insufferably Socratic answering questions with questions and the like, she also is a licensed therapist and does not violate the confidentiality required for a working therapeutic relationship. If a superhero is a college student in his or her secret ID, then they might be attending one of her classes. 

The Star Face killer is dead, but in a comic book world, that's not always a career ending situation. When a new batch of killings matching the same methodology arises, Professor Block will become the prized target (Possibly the 'best for last' type of target) of an intelligent and very hateful zombie bent on revenge. While she'll need the heroes to save her, her own expertise may be the clue on how to lay the Star Face Killer to rest whether he likes it or not.

QUOTE: "If I had a couch handy, I'd tell you to lay down and tell me how your past relationship with your superhero mentor made you feel, as it is, I'll just say 'What can I do for you, young man?'" 

Actually, I am glad for the editing job. My posts have been rough draft to put it mildly ;) Yes, I quite liked the pictures for  Sniffing Strangers. I'm afraid my group is too big into watching Rizzoli & Isles for me to use Angie Harmon for any of the pictures though but I'm impressed with your finds.

Never watched it, so I didn't know who that was a picture of.  I was just looking for a dark-haired beauty because of the text.  Easy enough to swap out.  When I update the PDF next time (after you've posted some more people) I'll have a different picture in there.

Worry not! Go with what you think fits best. I figured you were showing this to your players and kindly sharing it with others. Do not add more homework than necessary to yourself ;) I'm flattered.

Wow! BoloOEarth took a great thing being done by Hermit, and made it awesome! Love the way Hermit's been doing these characters, and was blown away with BoloOEarth's pdf setup of them. The pics add a ton to the write ups. PDF almost feels like its short bios of real people with those pics. Hope you both keep this up for the entire 50. Thank you for all the work you both have done and shared, it will save many of us a ton of work.

Wow! BoloOEarth took a great thing being done by Hermit, and made it awesome! Love the way Hermit's been doing these characters, and was blown away with BoloOEarth's pdf setup of them. The pics add a ton to the write ups. PDF almost feels like its short bios of real people with those pics. Hope you both keep this up for the entire 50. Thank you for all the work you both have done and shared, it will save many of us a ton of work.

Well, as I'm leaving out state level politicians and the President, it won't be a full 50, but we are in the home stretch.

The Reporter

Linus Yeutter came out of college recently with a journalism major, a computer science minor, and a mountain of college debt. He also found himself given the options of Internships that would starve him, or jobs flipping burgers that wouldn't starve him, but only because he could snitch at work. Reluctant to die (either of proverbial starvation or grease overload), Linus was getting a bit desperate. Slurping down some herbal tea ("It's a manly drink, really") at a local cafe, he was browsing videos on his smartphone when he stumbled onto a video who caught an image of a young girl being scooped up and rescued from a swerving car hitting the sidewalk. The rescuer was a guy about his own age who just did the right thing and was now... news. All because someone had their own smart phone recording.

Linus realized he'd been missing the obvious. This was the new media, right in front of him, and it was easier than ever to get his stories out, if he was willing to do the legwork. If he was going to get paid nothing, why not get paid nothing hunting for the stories he wanted to find instead of fetching coffee in the name of apprenticeship? 

With hidden cameras and recorders to go along with the obvious one, and he hit the streets. The first month, well, that went terribly, but with persistence, research, and no small amount of luck, he started getting results. He caught on that the traffic lights in down town that took pictures of  drivers was actually all wrong on the timing, what was meant to catch people running red lights was being used as a money making trap! He lay it down on his website, and one click became a dozen became a hundred and suddenly he had over a thousand people watching his news report, and really really ticked! And some of those folks hit the donate button on his own website! He had rent covered.

Big Media jumped on it right away, of course, but most used his footage and findings, and a few even (albeit reluctantly) mentioned his own name. Linus handled it coolly, reminding himself he wanted to cover the news, not be it, and kept up his own investigations. A pharmacy was "accidentally" leaving drugs out where dealers could find them, but Yeutter caught the collusion and exposed it, causing a full investigation and sending the company that owned that pharmacy scrambling. Now he was getting job offers, and not for internships, from the local newspapers and TV shows, but by now, he had more folks watching his online news than most reporters his age could only dream. He took the other route, hired some help from similar young bucks tired of the 'old way' and formed New Edge Media with the slogan "The Truth goes Digital"

That was a year and a half ago. Now? Well, Linus Yeutter is not rich, but he's making rent and paying off his college debt and that's more than most folks can say. He invests most of the excess profit back into New Edge Media for better gear, better resources, and for expenses while he keeps up the good fight. Rather than sit behind a desk and just report, he likes to get his hands dirty. Sure, he's nearly been killed more than once, and threatened numerous times, but he's hooked now. Linus loves the thrill of the chase! He's got a laid back style that contrasts with his overwhelming urge to "find the story" to form a fellow who seems mellow, but can go after the truth with the drive of a bloodhound.

Superheroes (and Supervillains) are news, and you can bet Linus will be risking his neck to record and report the events of these powerhouses. If told he's going to get himself killed, he'll point out there are reporters in warzones who take similar risks everyday. As for secret Identities, he's torn. He's not a celebrity reporter, and really exposing a secret ID seems a bit too much like yanking someone out of the closet for his tastes, on the other hand it is of interest to the public. If he stumbles onto the true identity of a superhero, a lot will depend on if he feels there's a question of ethics between the power the hero has, and the position said hero might have in his/her day job.

It goes without saying that our modern day 'intrepid reporter' is going to face old problems. Being rescued from crumbling ledges, angry criminals who don't want to be found out, and so on is par for the course. The young journalist might make a romantic interest for the right superheroine, albeit a frustrating one. He's also an excellent source of information and leads as people email him all the time with tips and observances all the time. He'll also be a valuable ally in exposing corruption, willing to lend camera and website to exposing white collar scumballs which he doesn't really respect any more than blue collar sleaze. If a hero needs to get the word out, New Edge Media might be the way to go.

QUOTE: "Well, as I am the spunky young reporter and you just saved me, aren't you obligated to take me flying and give me an interview? I have a Margo Kidder monologue in my head all lined up. C'mon, it'll be fun."

You're doing great! Give 'em Hell, Reverend!

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary hasn't seen Lucius Alexander so enthusiastic about church in a long time

Glad you enjoyed him . He was fun to write. I figured the supporting Catholic priest take had been done (and often done well) but one more in the vein of Baptist or at least protestant as a PRO superhero wasn't done nearly as often. :) As mentioned in the spoiler area, he's got a rival in religious circles who is not pro super, but I leave that anti super priest for development later on if I ever get my new setting off the ground.

Thank you for the kind words, but I have to disagree.  All I'm doing is "prettying up" an already awesome body of work by Hermit.  He's doing all the real work.  I just want to combine it all into a single PDF to make it easier for a wider audience to use.

Absolutely true about Hermit doing the legwork. However, just like building a new house, all people see in the end is the paint job! So, looking at the finished product of both your labors, I was impressed. That sound better?  LOL

FYI, Linus Yeutter made an appearance in my campaign last night.  The heroes held a press conference, and when Linus got up asking questions while filming the heroes with his smartphone, they became super suspicious.  He can't be a real reporter, right?  What kind of reporter uses a smartphone to record a press conference?  Heh. 

One of Linus' questions they really didn't want to answer, so after Nexus stumbled a bit, Malarky asked who Linus was and then took a poke at his name to try and redirect from his question.  But Linus wasn't deterred and asked point-blank, "Nexus, do you talk to the dead?  It's a simple question.  Yes or no."  She said no (technically, she Mind Links to them, so there's no actual talking involved), but that's not going to look good when Linus posts an interview of the father of a murder victim, whom Nexus told that she was talking to his dead son.

Afterward, the heroes researched New Edge Media and found out it was for real.  (I added that NEM has an open offer on various social media to potentially purchase breaking news videos, which seemed a reasonable supposition of how Linus might get a line on new stories.)  But the heroes' behavior at the press conference didn't really leave Linus feeling all that charitable toward them, so I'm sure there will be future clashes.

Great character concept, Hermit. 

Loving it and your writing!

Thanks. I hope you find use in some of these if you decide to adapt them for your own games. 

Absolutely true about Hermit doing the legwork. However, just like building a new house, all people see in the end is the paint job! So, looking at the finished product of both your labors, I was impressed. That sound better?  LOL

Heh. I'm glad you're impressed. I'll just be hammering away here while Bolo continues to dine on roast unicorn ;) He really did clean it up nicely though! And I hope he adds on the last of them

FYI, Linus Yeutter made an appearance in my campaign last night.  The heroes held a press conference, and when Linus got up asking questions while filming the heroes with his smartphone, they became super suspicious.  He can't be a real reporter, right?  What kind of reporter uses a smartphone to record a press conference?  Heh. 

One of Linus' questions they really didn't want to answer, so after Nexus stumbled a bit, Malarky asked who Linus was and then took a poke at his name to try and redirect from his question.  But Linus wasn't deterred and asked point-blank, "Nexus, do you talk to the dead?  It's a simple question.  Yes or no."  She said no (technically, she Mind Links to them, so there's no actual talking involved), but that's not going to look good when Linus posts an interview of the father of a murder victim, whom Nexus told that she was talking to his dead son.

Afterward, the heroes researched New Edge Media and found out it was for real.  (I added that NEM has an open offer on various social media to potentially purchase breaking news videos, which seemed a reasonable supposition of how Linus might get a line on new stories.)  But the heroes' behavior at the press conference didn't really leave Linus feeling all that charitable toward them, so I'm sure there will be future clashes.

Great character concept, Hermit. 

Wow. I didn't expect Linus to get a test run so soon. Sounds like the PCs are going to want to leave him on the next ledge they find him at but I am amused.

The Shop Owner

Earl Madigan gets most orders for his goods online, but he gets enough requests locally that it is worth giving his shop a location on the street. It's not obvious, but if you move past the corner of a used book store, keep walking past the place they sell the crystals, then you'll find a place called Madigan's Smithy. Most folks assume it's a gag, some renfair temporary set up, but the curious who get drawn in will realize that, yes, there is a place that makes modern medieval (and renaissance)  weaponry to order. The owner, and craftsman, Earl Madigan, definitely seems a throwback himself. With  a closely trimmed beard, huge arms, and his long hair in a pony tail, one almost expects him to talk in the accent of a fantasy movie. But Earl is a local and talks like one, and uses current tech to speed his work (But never at sacrifice of quality.) He uses carbon steel, or better if materials can be provided. 

He warns that these are genuine combat ready blades, and not 'Sword like objects' or ornaments. He has all permits filled out, and will inform any customers of city and  state laws about what they're legally allowed to carry around. Yes, you can buy an actual mace, and not the stuff that sprays in your eyes. If you want a Katana? Popular choice, he can do it in a fashion that would have had him frequented by Samurai in another life. Heck, he can do armor, but he'll need your measurements etc. As you might expect, it's a specialty market, and prices aren't cheap. Mostly Ren Fair fans, hobbyists with a great deal of money, and eccentrics make up his clientele.  

The police are not crazy about Earl's business, fearing it will encourage some loon to buy a battle axe and start cutting off heads. Earl usually snorts, and asks, "Yeah, those school axings reports are on all the news channels." So sometimes they walk by to 'see how things are doing', much to his annoyance. Shoplifters coming in shouldn't worry about the police. Earl is versed in the use of all his weapons, the better to demonstrate them. The last idiot who tried to steal from the shop ended up getting a broken nose from a full on shield bash.

As for why a superhero might come by here, well, that's obvious. If they avoid the monthly police walk by, they have a discrete source to request a purchase of throwing stars, blades, staves (It may say smithy on the door, but he can work in wood too) etc. They may not be high tech or magical, but they're good quality stuff (And if a hero gives him high tech metals and the tools to shape them, he can actually do that too).

They also might want his advice in the case some criminal is using older style weapons for a crime. Earl can match some medical examiners when it comes to what sort of weapon makes what kind of wound etc. Of course, if murders using weapons like the ones he makes do start up, poor Earl may find his shop closed down if he isn't put in cuffs as a person of interest.

Earl Madigan is a Neopagan, you can see signs of his faith in his work if you know what to look for, but he's not really open about it otherwise. He really doesn't care what the faith of his customers is, but some other neo pagans invite him to events and the like, sometimes he goes if it's not going to out him. Sometimes it's a pain when your mother is a Catholic, but you say your prayers to Hephaestus or other smithing gods. There's really nothing mystical about Earl, unless the GM wants there to be; but any hero who gains his power from a smithing god may find Earl offering, nay, eager to help! It might seem hard to use him in many adventures, but between serial killers that might use unusual methods, Madigan's ability to craft weapons for weaponmaster/martial artist types, and his presence on the neo-pagan scene, hopefully a GM who takes a liking to him can find a way to make it work

QUOTE: "Stainless steel is great.... for silverware. No, you want this carbon steel blade made by a master, yours truly. It won't get brittle, the balance, if I do say so myself, is perfection. It's got a great edge and strength to it. And yes, it's kind of pretty too. Win win."