Name That Villain

CrosshairCollie

Hi there. Had a slight problem in last week's game ... I had my new 'master villain' made up, had his background, personality, that sort of thing ... but at the last minute, I realized he had a kinda dippy name (I'm too embarassed to actually repeat it ... I must have been drunk or something). Now, by 'last minute', I mean, 'Crap, I'm about to have him show his face and I can't come up with a better name than THAT' last minute.:o

So, I had him not choose a 'super-name' yet, hoping that one of the PCs would say something memorable or useful that he could adopt as a name, but no luck. So, I thought I'd ask you guys for some help, as I *still* haven't been able to come up with a decent name for the guy.

Basics:

1. Wears black armor with gold trim, simple design with no frills, capes, spikes, etc.

2. Aging scientist suffering from a variety of hazards of old age; hired mercenaries to capture some nano-bots which he injected into himself after programming them, thusly correcting his physical and mental impairments.

3. Primary goal is to cybernize (aka Borgify) humanity, thereby correcting their faults and frailties (disease, aging, accidents, etc). He has no interest in asking for anybody's permission before 'improving' them (one of those 'twisted visionary' kinda things).

4. Powers: As a walking nanobot factory, he can basically reshape his body's cybernetic parts into anything he needs, whenever he needs it (Cosmic Pool), but it has to be generated technologically (for a -0, since about all that leaves out is Magic).

Any thoughts? Best name will get a kitty scritched on his or her behalf.

It's always tricky trying to figure out what a villain would choose to call him- or herself rather than what the press or the heroes might choose to call the villain...

In this case, I guess this warped scientist might seem himself as a hero who is misunderstood. Afterall, he's just trying to remove the imperfections built into human physiology. He's basically playing god or frankenstein, so what you need is a name that betrays that belief.

So, try these on for size:

Revision

Amend

Divine

Personally, I think I like "2.0" the best.

Originally posted by Speedball

In this case, I guess this warped scientist might seem himself as a hero who is misunderstood. Afterall, he's just trying to remove the imperfections built into human physiology. He's basically playing god or frankenstein, so what you need is a name that betrays that belief.

Ascension?

Re: Name That Villain

Originally posted by CrosshairCollie

Hi there. Had a slight problem in last week's game ... I had my new 'master villain' made up, had his background, personality, that sort of thing ... but at the last minute, I realized he had a kinda dippy name (I'm too embarassed to actually repeat it ... I must have been drunk or something). Now, by 'last minute', I mean, 'Crap, I'm about to have him show his face and I can't come up with a better name than THAT' last minute.:o

So, I had him not choose a 'super-name' yet, hoping that one of the PCs would say something memorable or useful that he could adopt as a name, but no luck. So, I thought I'd ask you guys for some help, as I *still* haven't been able to come up with a decent name for the guy.

Basics:

1. Wears black armor with gold trim, simple design with no frills, capes, spikes, etc.

2. Aging scientist suffering from a variety of hazards of old age; hired mercenaries to capture some nano-bots which he injected into himself after programming them, thusly correcting his physical and mental impairments.

3. Primary goal is to cybernize (aka Borgify) humanity, thereby correcting their faults and frailties (disease, aging, accidents, etc). He has no interest in asking for anybody's permission before 'improving' them (one of those 'twisted visionary' kinda things).

4. Powers: As a walking nanobot factory, he can basically reshape his body's cybernetic parts into anything he needs, whenever he needs it (Cosmic Pool), but it has to be generated technologically (for a -0, since about all that leaves out is Magic).

Any thoughts? Best name will get a kitty scritched on his or her behalf.

Promethian "I will bring humanity a new fire, so they might forge their destiny, and themselves."

Oh, if you use that... forget the kitty, pet a dog instead. ;)

For this sort of thing, definately keep in mind that you're coming up with a name that the villain would give himself, typically. There's nothing worse than a villain with a name that makes no sense. If the villain sees himself as the goodguy, he's not going to give himself an evil-sounding name.

In this particular case, the villain in question sees himself as doing a great dead for the whole of humanity. He's not going to call himself "The Assimilator" or "Technocrat," because those aren't positive-sounding names to most people. "Locutus" isn't something most people would get, and anyone who looked it up would immediately associate it with soulless mechanical evil. Besides, what kind of self-respecting visionary would name himself after a Star Trek character?

"Ascension" and "Upgrade" are better choices.

Originally posted by Speedball

Now, I play with a group of guys who are in their mid-30s and I don't think we're mature enough to play against a villain names "The Rectifier," but maybe that's just us...:)

*heh* Like the time I made a dark, brooding hero based on Charon, the spirit who ferries dead souls across the River Styx. I came up with a suitably dour character and costume, a nice origin, a power set that was fresh and dark ... and the only name I could think up was "The Ferryman." Not exactly something that would strike fear into the hearts of criminals. :)

-AA

Originally posted by austenandrews

*heh* Like the time I made a dark, brooding hero based on Charon, the spirit who ferries dead souls across the River Styx. I came up with a suitably dour character and costume, a nice origin, a power set that was fresh and dark ... and the only name I could think up was "The Ferryman." Not exactly something that would strike fear into the hearts of criminals. :)

-AA

or the time our gm needed a throw-away aquaman type and called him THE SEA-MAN....

anyway--how about:

THE ICONOCLAST--a free-thinking individual who marches to the beat of his own drum....

MASTER CYLINDER?

REDDY KILLOWATT??

How about:

Renaissance, one meaning of which is "A revival of intellectual or artistic achievement and vigor."

Or

Reformation, one meaning of which is "The act of reforming or the state of being reformed."

Both have a "Classical" feel and relate to his desire to bring about a new birth or change in society, as well as to (in the former case) the fact that he has been reborn himself thanks to the nannites and that (in the latter instance) can reform his body.