It's time for Christmas.....

Badger

So I think the only reason I have a problem with Christmas "creep" is the music.  Holiday music is, in general, pretty f'n bad!  Then you go and substitute holiday sale lyrics for the existing ones.  And having to listen to it for longer and longer every year... sheesh.

For my taste, some Christmas music is quite nice. But the play-list is limited, so the same songs get played over and over and over again. The longer the season gets, the more the music turns into auditory Chinese water torture. :(

Sounds like a terrible place to be of you have PTSD from war service.

Well, I do joke with mama badger if we should duck for cover every now and then. Probably also explains why they live in a trailer, they are probably a CEO of some company, but with the fireworks expenditures sacrifices had to be made.

Some people like to talk about "the war on Christmas".

If Christmas didn't want a war, it shouldn't have crossed the borders of Thanksgiving to attack Halloween.

SO, thanksgiving is the Belgium to Halloween's France? (been watching some documentary series of WWI throughout the day)

For some reason my favorite Christmas song is "God rest ye merry gentlemen" something about the beat. Though I don't want to hear everyday from Nov 4 to Dec 27. 3-4 times a year suffices.

Christmas shopping at the grocery store!

"Hello, employee-type person. Can you hear me over the conversation of the other thirty people trying to get down this aisle? I am a fifty-five year old man, and have never bought food for myself in my life. Now, I have had to put my parents in an old age home, and my favourite pizza delivery place has taken to leaving flaming bags of doggie do on my doorstep for some reason I cannot understand. I am told that your "Groc-Ery Store" is a good place for the buying of the food that is not yet, as you say, 'cooked.' I have heard of this thing called 'rice,' and an curious to try it. I have looked for it next to the deodorants and the laundry detergent. Since you are currently trying to work vast quantities of stock, perhaps you could be so good as to take me by the hand and lead me to where it might be found? After that, I have a dozen friends with similar questions, waiting at the coffee stand. Perhaps you could organise tours for them?"  

I guess we all need to save a seat by the fire for Scrooge and the Grinch. :snicker:

Let me repeat something I’ve been saying for years. Dickens and Dr. Suess both got it wrong. Scrooge never reformed into a Christmas-loving good guy. Scrooge ALWAYS loved Christmas. And the Grinch never gave Christmas back after stealing it. He fenced it to Scrooge, who sold it back to the Whos down in Whoville. That’s why Scrooge loves Christmas, because he loves profits. He probably paid Dickens to write the story. And Scrooge and the Grinch both pull the same scam, year after year.

I'll assume you're already familiar with "A Christmas Carol" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas." That seems a safe assumption. Dickens' story is of course older. In fact, Dickens has been credited with having invented Christmas as we know it today. I think that's an exaggeration, but with some basis. And while I don't seriously think there was a "Scrooge" who paid him for it, there were plenty of real-life Scroogelike people who were glad he wrote it. To be fair, he wrote it in 1843 - about 3 years after Victoria married Prince Albert, a fact of interest in that it was Albert who introduced the Christmas Tree to the English speaking world - and the commercialization of the holiday did not take off for another 20 years, or at least, it's not until after the Civil War that a proliferation of Christmas oriented advertising in the newspapers is noticed. It was not until 1851 I think that, for example, an American named Mark Carr was the first to make a seasonal business of selling Christmas Trees.

Which is something to bear in mind: Christmas As We Know It is only 150 years old, a product of a time when our civilization was undergoing rapid changes, becoming more industrial and urban, and people were already nostolgically looking back not on the past as it had been, but on a past that never was. A nostalgia that was also immediately being co-opted by commercialization.

If Scrooge and his ilk ever hated Christmas, they got over it as soon as they saw there was money to be made. I can just hear the dialogue between Scrooge and the ghost of Marley his partner.....

"I was a failure, Scrooge!"

"But you were a successful man of business! Why, your assets were..."

"Were so much less than they could have been! The profits I could have made, if I'd only known the true meaning of Christmas! Don't make the same mistake I did Scrooge - cash in on Christmas!"

As for the Grinch - what is the Grinch really? How is it possible for him to "steal Christmas?" For the Grinch, Christmas is something he can steal because he thinks it resides in things like trees and lights, in "boxes and bags, packages and tags." Just as we are all in some sense the Whos down in Whoville, we can think of the Grinch in ourselves as being the part of us that is likely to make the same reductionist mistake, and the Grinch in others as being those people who ENCOURAGE that kind of mistake - what I think would in Christian terms be called the sin of simony, putting a finite monetary price tag on things of infinite spiritual value. This is how the Grinch manages to steal Christmas - and Hanukkah, Yule, and Kwanzaa and the rest - every year. By hoodwinking Whos into thinking he has it wrapped up in a box, a box they don't have. And every year, Scrooge turns around and sells it back to the Whos the Grinch stole it from.

They make it very hard not to be accomplices in the crime.

Lucius Alexander

Copyright Palindromedary Enterprises

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary links to the whole essay: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/36926-lucius-alexanders-yule-essay/page-3

The 2013 version is still the most recent.

Fred Scrooge in A Christmas Carol said Christmas had never put a penny in his pocket. The same cannot be said for Sam Walton and his descendants.

My understanding is that working on Black Friday (a term previously used to describe economic catastrophies such as stock market crashes) is pure hell for Wal-Mart employees -- especially given how little they are paid and how much they are held in public contempt (there was a recent controversy about a pregnant Wal-Mart janitor who simply could not obtain a temporary assignment of which she was capable. The public response boiled down to "if the only job you can get is cleaning toilets at Wal-Mart, the world doesn't need your kid").