It's time for Christmas.....

Badger

8 hours ago, Tech priest support said:

Speaking of Christmas are there any Christmas movies people like?

I like a Christmas carol in various versions. I think the best is George C Scott's. The one with patrick stewart comes in a close second. I also like the musical ”scrooge” even if I'm the only one who does.

As for "scrooged', well, leave it to SNL to take ACC and make it unwatchable.....:sick:

I liked Scrooged myself, especially the parts with Karen Allen.  Most Christmas Carol adaptations--especially the ones sitcoms do--seem like lazy writing; this character will be the Scrooge, this one will be the Bob Cratchit, and so on.  I didn't get that sense with Scrooged, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I also like The Polar Express, and do not understand why it was so ill-received.  I thought it was a great movie.

A Christmas Story is pretty good as well.  I can understand why some people hold it in such reverence.  Same for the original  Miracle On 34th Street--I especially like the scene where the store manager is asked if he believes Kris Kringle is the actual Santa Claus, and he flashes on  the faces of all the smiling, happy children, and he says, "Yes--I believe he is Santa Claus."

This movie shows a great deal of promise--I shall have to look into it.

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

As other people have said, it ain't Christmas until Nakatomi Plaza blows up. Die Hard is a good Christmas movie.

I always look out for Scrooge with Alistair Sim as Scrooge.

I like Scrooged but am not keen on the musical version or Patrick Stewart's version of A Christmas Carol.

White Christmas should be on at some time as should It's A Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street.

On 11/7/2017 at 2:18 PM, wcw43921 said:

I liked Scrooged myself, especially the parts with Karen Allen.  Most Christmas Carol adaptations--especially the ones sitcoms do--seem like lazy writing; this character will be the Scrooge, this one will be the Bob Cratchit, and so on.  I didn't get that sense with Scrooged, and I enjoyed it a great deal.

I also like The Polar Express, and do not understand why it was so ill-received.  I thought it was a great movie.

A Christmas Story is pretty good as well.  I can understand why some people hold it in such reverence.  Same for the original  Miracle On 34th Street--I especially like the scene where the store manager is asked if he believes Kris Kringle is the actual Santa Claus, and he flashes on  the faces of all the smiling, happy children, and he says, "Yes--I believe he is Santa Claus."

This movie shows a great deal of promise--I shall have to look into it.

Just my thoughts on the subject--take them as you will.

OK before I click on this link I have to ask "Does it lead to 'Santa clause conquers the martians?". You need to tell me if it does so I don't click on it. See, if it leads to SCCTM and I click on it and see SCCTM I'm afraid I would have to track you down and hurt you grievously. Since I don't want to hurt you please tell me if it leads to SCCTM so I won't be forced to. 

7 minutes ago, Tech priest support said:

OK before I click on this link I have to ask "Does it lead to 'Santa clause conquers the martians?". You need to tell me if it does so I don't click on it. See, if it leads to SCCTM and I click on it and see SCCTM I'm afraid I would have to track you down and hurt you grievously. Since I don't want to hurt you please tell me if it leads to SCCTM so I won't be forced to. 

Did MST3k do that movie?  If not they should've.

Yes mst3k riffed SCCTM,  and the mst3k riff on this is the only way to view this movie without deep suffering and severe lifelong psychological harm.

I once wrote to the CIA and suggested forcing terrorists to watch this movie, a'la the clockwork Orange chair, as a form of enhanced interrogation. I got a letter back saying "HOLY SH*T THAT'S TOO CRUEL! WE COULDN'T LIVE WITH OURSELVES IF WE DID THAT! WE'LL STICK WITH WATERBOARDING AND SCROTUM ELECTRODES!”

50 minutes ago, Tech priest support said:

Yes mst3k riffed SCCTM,  and the mst3k riff on this is the only way to view this movie without deep suffering and severe lifelong psychological harm.

I once wrote to the CIA and suggested forcing terrorists to watch this movie, a'la the clockwork Orange chair, as a form of enhanced interrogation. I got a letter back saying "HOLY SH*T THAT'S TOO CRUEL! WE COULDN'T LIVE WITH OURSELVES IF WE DID THAT! WE'LL STICK WITH WATERBOARDING AND SCROTUM ELECTRODES!”

Well, MST3K, is the only way to watch a great deal of their movies.

I don't know I wasn't that impressed with this island earth.  Don't get me wrong it is decent, and I even like it somewhat.  But, building up going to their planet for so long, only to be there for about 10 minutes, made things a little anti-climatic.   I guess I felt that could have been fleshed a little more.