'Possessed' Character?

rosestar130

I'm running a campaign where the characters the PCs have to save is possessed by a demon by the evil organization that kidnapped him - and this 'possession' is triggered when the character hears a certain sound and is triggered off by the same sound. I already know the way he's triggered into this transformation [Accidental Change:  Certain Noise Always (Common), right?], but how else would I set this up?

If it's necessary, the demon the character's possessed with has yellow-ish eyes, supernatural strength, and has no moral code whatsoever - he's heartless.

Am I making any sense?

So if I snap my fingers he turns into a vile and powerful fiend, and if I snap my fingers again the fiend becomes a confused and cowering mortal, ordinary except for having been chosen as the unwilling vessel of this unholy power?

Lucius Alexander

The palindromedary doesn't like the sound of that

Since the NPC in question can't ever willingly change into the demon (presumably) it's not really a case of accidental change in my opinion.

I'd go with:

Multiform, No Conscious Control (-2). That lets the GM decide when the multiform is used and to what point level. Sounds like a curse to me. A case could made for the -1 instead since you can't really change the level of effect on a multiform. 

That should do it by itself, but if you want to get over-complicated you can add Trigger: Set trigger, activating the trigger is an action that takes no time, trigger resets automatically immediately after it activates, character does not control activation of personal trigger (+3/4).

Might want to add difficult to dispel on the multiform as well, or even inherent, if the intention is to have the possession cured by plot element rather than power use. 

Could they be cured by rendering them permanently deaf?

Theoretically, yes, but they have to be in their human form to be safe.

So if I snap my fingers he turns into a vile and powerful fiend, and if I snap my fingers again the fiend becomes a confused and cowering mortal, ordinary except for having been chosen as the unwilling vessel of this unholy power?

Basically, yes.

Well, I think a common sound would be something you hear every day: car alarm, bell, whistle, etc.

The triggering sound in question is, in its simplest sense, a slowed-down version of the ending of Just One Yesterday by Fall Out Boy [or very similar, that's all I can think of right now]. So, it's not really that common.