CHAMPIONS: The Retributors Online (VTT not PbP) Campaign Recruiting

Epiphanis

1935586_10153494562418922_14022346252149

CHAMPIONS: THE RETRIBUTORS, online Champions/Hero System 6th Ed campaign, played with Google Hangouts and Maptool, meeting weekly, Mondays 8-10:30 EST.

As luck would have it, at the end of our first year of the campaign one of my long-term players dropped out, leaving a spot open for recruitment. This is a pretty stable long-term superhero game.

If interested, check out the introduction, character creation rules and house rules here:

https://champions-the-retributors.obsidianportal.com/

A log of our first year can be found here:

https://champions-the-retributors.obsidianportal.com/adventure-log/synopsis

If you wish to join, obtain a free Obsidian Portal account and request to join on the campaign website above.

Reading the log I linked should give you an idea of the feel of the campaign.  The departing player was the team's main ranged energy projector, so something similar would fit nicely.  Also a high-versatility VPP character such as a gadgeteer or sorcerer or some "cosmic" character would work.  I would shy away from another brick or mentalist.  

How the players would respond is up to them, they can chime in if they see this.

Yeah, just from looking over your drawing it looked like you didn't have a flyer or a power projector.

I read your house rules & character guidelines and have been tinkering  Didn't hurt that I just finished Confessions of a D List Supervillian (was good, but avoid the two sequels).  

So I'm working on a character idea, and like most of my character ideas it's completely UN-original.

Guy in power armor - Flying/Force Field/Various Energy Blasts.  He has various defense powers, extra senses, life support.  He also has a cloaking device.

Where I'm kinda torn is the backstory.

I can always go with the Wealthy Inventor who uses his company money to build a power armor.  It works, and that's why it's been done to death.

Or I could go with Joe Armor Pilot, one of the nameless, faceless guy who flys the Generic Power Armor that Mr. Wealthy Inventor RENTS to the super group, and other super groups all over the world.  It would be up to him to distinguish himself from all the other Generic Power Armors out there, regardless how much Mr. Wealth Inventor insists that Generic Power Armor pilots NOT distinguish themselves.

OR I could go with Joe Dirt, Backyard Inventor who cobbles together power armor from lawn chairs and discarded computer components, and is constantly harassed by Mr. Wealthy Inventor for patent & copyright infringement.  

Lookin' for feedback here,

phy

I saw from your campaign log that you're set in the Official Champions Universe.  That made the choice easy for me - Joe Dirt Power Armor!

Don't worry, that's NOT my character's name!  LOL!  But that's the idea - An on-his-own inventor who builds and used Power Armor to fight super villains, all while the biggest, richest, and most famous power armor hero in the game universe carries out a long legal battle against the PC for patent, copyright, and trademark infringement. 

QUAZAR

All Calvin Stringle ever wanted was to work as an engineer, invent new things, and have the respect of his peers.  With his degrees in engineering and physics it looked like Calvin was well on his way to achieving all of those goals.  And then Cal was hired by Harmon Industries.  

While working for Harmon Industries as a research assistant during the day, Cal spent his evenings and weekends working on his own inventions.  He had many, several invented while he was still at school, and he had recently applied for several patents.  Cal Proudly showed off several of his inventions at the Annual Millennium City Engineering Enthusiast’s Group.

The Monday after the show Cal was called in to his boss's office.  He was reminded of the contract he signed when he started work for Harmon Industries.  One of the clauses stated that any inventions he made, or patents he filed for, while an employee of Harmon Industries automatically became the property of Harmon Industries.   Harmon Industries impounded all of his work, assigning it to their Classified Research division.  Cal was told that if he ever showed or spoke of “Harmon's” inventions in public again then he would go to jail.

Furious, Cal resigned from  Harmon Industries.  Soon he had another job working as an engineer for another, though smaller and less prestigious, company.  But soon Cal was called into his new boss's office.  It seems they had received a letter from  Harmon Industries.  Cal's contract had a five year Non Competition clause in it.  They would have to let Cal go or face a lawsuit by Harmon Industries.  

Heartbroken, Cal lashed out the only was he knew how.  Securing high tech components on the black market, he assembled a rudimentary blaster, force field generator, and thruster pack.  Calling himself Vengeance, he attacked several Harmon Industries laboratories and warehouses.  

Vengeance easily defeated the Harmon Industries security teams, and even the Harmon Industries Supervillian Response Teams.  But eventually James Harmon himself responded in the Defender power armor, and Cal's crude equipment was no match.  He escaped capture only by activating a cloaking device and fleeing.  

Back in his workshop, Cal was devastated.   Harmon Industries had defeated him professionally, and now Defender had defeated him personally.  But no!  James Harmon WAS Harmon Industries, and James Harmon was Defender.  Looking down at the remains of the primitive Vengeance armor, Cal knew what he must do.

Working day and night, Cal designed a new set of power armor.  He would show the world, show EVERYONE.  His armor would be better than the Defender armor.  He would be a better hero than Defender.  Naming himself after the most powerful phenomenon in the galaxy, a QUAZAR, would show EVERYONE that he was a better MAN than James Harmon.

And Cal upgraded the Vengeance armor, too. Not that he would ever use it.  Not that he ever INTENDED to use it.   But Cal had learned that, when dealing with James Harmon and Harmon Industries, it was best to keep his options open.

QUAZAR Mk VI Md 1

STATS

- STR 10

10 DEX 15

8 CON 18

8 INT 18

5 EGO 15

5 PRE 15

25 OCV 8

25 DCV 8

- OMCV 3

- DMCV 3/6*

10 SPD 3/5*

3 PD 6

3 ED 6

1 REC 5

2 END 30

5 BOD 15

5 STUN 30

Subtotal: 115

POWERS

26 END Reserve, 80 END, 30 REC, OIF Power Cells

16 +8 rPD/+8 rED, OIF Armor

16 +8 rPD/+8 rED, OIF Force Field Generator

16 +6 rPD/+6 rED, Hardened and Impenetrable, OIF Striker Plates

26 20m Flight, + 1/2 Variable Advantage, OIF Jet Pack

40 60 pip Multipower, OIF Power Array

4 8d6 EB 0 End, STUN Only (Electroblaster)

4 12d6 EB 16 (Powerblaster)

4 8d6 AP EB (Laserblaster)

4 9d6 EB AOE 4m Radius (Turboblaster)

4 4d6 RKA (Megablaster)

3 Invisibility Sight Group, no Fringe, 0 END

13 +2 SPD, OIF Exoskeleton

5 +3 DMCV, OIF Psi Dampener

3 5 pip Mental Defense, OIF Psi Dampener

3 5 pip Power Defense, OIF Psi Dampener

3 5 pip Flash Defense, OIF Visor

3 UV Vision, OIF Visor

3 IR Vision, OIF Visor

10 Radar, OIF Antenna

8 Radio Perception & Transmit, OIF Antenna

6 Self Contained Breathing, OIF Hull Integrity

1 Safe Environment High Pressure, OIF Hull Integrity

1 Safe Environment Vacuum, OIF Hull Integrity

1 Safe Environment Radiation, OIF Hull Integrity

1 Safe Environment Intense Cold, OIF Hull Integrity

1 Safe Environment Intense Heat, OIF Hull Integrity

Subtotal: 225

SKILLS

- Conversation

- Persuasion

- Acting

- Climbing

- Concealment

3 Stealth

3 Computer Programming

3 Paramedic

3 Deduction

3 Law

3 Inventor

3 Mathematics

3 Physics

3 Engineering: Mechanical

3 Engineering: Electrical

3 PS: Engineer

3 PS: Superhero

3 Power Skill: Power Armor Pilot

2 KS: Superheros

2 KS: Supervillians

2 AK: Millennium City

2 TF: Ground Vehicle

Subtotal: 47

PERKS

5 Eidetic Memory

3 Lightning Calculator

2 Speed Reading

Subtotal: 10

CONTACTS

3 Blackmarket Tech Dealer, 11 or less, Useful Skills & Resources, Contacts of His Own, Good Relationship

Subtotal: 3

DISADDS 

15 Hunted by Harmon Industries (More Powerful, Infrequent, Extensive NCI)

15 Rivalry with Defender (Professional, Significantly Superior)

5 Negative Reputation (Defender Ripoff, Infrequent)

5 DNPC Grad Student (Skilled, Infrequent)

15 Public ID

15 Secret ID – Vengeance

Subtotal: 75

STATS 115

POWERS 225

SKILLS 47

PERKS 10

CONTACTS 3

TOTAL 400

DISADDS 75

UNSPENT 0
Edited by phydaux

Epiphanis has made macros that speed up play greatly using maptools

I have been in this game playing Blip since the start and I've had a great time

So I made an account on Obsidian Portal and Google Hangout.  Still waiting for feedback on my toon.  

Do you use ALL of the Maptools tools, or just a few?

I have been in this game playing Blip since the start and I've had a great time

I'd be interested in hearing your take on the character I submitted above, in regards to relative power level (too wimpy, too munchkin) and "tone" (if you think he'll fit in with the other PCs).

Man, that toon is riddled with math errors. I'll comb through it tomorrow and them see if the forum will let me post a correction.  If not then, well, it's close enough to give everyone a decent idea of how he's suppose to work.

*Made several refinements to the original toon

Edited by phydaux