Stats for a chainsaw

Right so if I hit someone with chain saw and have my hand on throttle, then it should be a continuous attack.

I don't think so.  In 6th edition, they call them "constant" powers.  And I can hit a person multiple times with a constant power, and they take damage from it multiple times each phase.  For example, on phase 12, Rural Cannibal Murderer Man attacks Annoying Teenager with his chainsaw, 2D6 HKA, Constant.  He rolls poorly and does 4 Body.  On phase 3, Rural Cannibal Murderer Man attacks Annoying Teenager again, with another swing of his chainsaw.  He hits, and rolls 2D6 again, getting 7 this time.  But... because the power is "constant", he does damage twice.  As long as he continues to pay END, he will do 2D6, twice per phase.  If he attacks Annoying Teenager again on phase 6 (he's annoying because he's got a lot of Body so he's hard to kill), hitting a third time, then he will roll 2D6 damage three times per phase afterward.  That doesn't sound like the effect of a chainsaw to me.

I don't think so. In 6th edition, they call them "constant" powers. And I can hit a person multiple times with a constant power, and they take damage from it multiple times each phase. For example, on phase 12, Rural Cannibal Murderer Man attacks Annoying Teenager with his chainsaw, 2D6 HKA, Constant. He rolls poorly and does 4 Body. On phase 3, Rural Cannibal Murderer Man attacks Annoying Teenager again, with another swing of his chainsaw. He hits, and rolls 2D6 again, getting 7 this time. But... because the power is "constant", he does damage twice. As long as he continues to pay END, he will do 2D6, twice per phase. If he attacks Annoying Teenager again on phase 6 (he's annoying because he's got a lot of Body so he's hard to kill), hitting a third time, then he will roll 2D6 damage three times per phase afterward. That doesn't sound like the effect of a chainsaw to me.

And neither to me. I don't have 6th say I really can't comment on your description of constant. However I was and still talking about continous whereas if you successfully hit once, then you no longer have to make another to hit roll.

Compromise. How about autofire with no more than x3. The extra hits represents the attacker sticking it alittle longer to target.

Autofire actually makes a lot of sense.  You could lower the base damage and then accuracy would directly factor into how much damage is done before defenses. 

:) HM

Massey- I went over continous and I read where if you hit something with continous then you can make a new to hit roll for more damage. Since I only wanted to use cobtinous to eliminate new hit rolls, I would then give the chainsaw a limition something like "only one hit"

You know they don't actually stick to whatever you hit, right?  In fact they require a lot of effort to keep "on target", and can kick back off of whatever you're cutting with them.  Cinematic chainsaws might be different, but real ones would definitely require new to-hit rolls each phase.

You know they don't actually stick to whatever you hit, right? In fact they require a lot of effort to keep "on target", and can kick back off of whatever you're cutting with them. Cinematic chainsaws might be different, but real ones would definitely require new to-hit rolls each phase.

Whwnever I cut wood, it didn't kickback. Though I would back it off so as to not bind by the wood. Never hit flesh with it though.

• 2 weeks later...

You know they don't actually stick to whatever you hit, right?  In fact they require a lot of effort to keep "on target", and can kick back off of whatever you're cutting with them.  Cinematic chainsaws might be different, but real ones would definitely require new to-hit rolls each phase.

What kind of chainsaws do you use? Are you trying to cut from the top of the blade and not the bottom? The blade tends to make piece being cut rest against the part of the blade that is closest to the handle. Heck most chainsaws have a guard that digs into the piece so you can get better leverage.

• 11 months later...

I use the Autofire, too. That way when used
1. against logs you almost surely get 3 hits (creating the dig-in effect)

2. against low DCV mooks and zombies you MIGHT hit more then once (creating genre typical splatter effects)

3. but against heros and supervillains you rarely have achance to make high damage (giving them the chance to survive and counter that staple of horror attacks)

• 2 months later...

While looking for something completely different, I stumbled across an official chainsaw.  Finally!!  I knew there had to be one somewhere.

Digital Hero #43.  First Person Shooter Hero, by Michael Surbrook.  So, technically, a video game chainsaw.

HKA 1d6+1, +1 Stun Multiplier, Continuous, 0 END (because cinematic chainsaws never run out of fuel), Activation Roll 15-, Burnout (the actual roll varies based on what's being cut), OAF, No Knockback, Real Weapon.

plus

1" Tunneling through 5 DEF, 0 END, Activation Roll 15-, Burnout (as above), OAF.

EDIT: And now I see that this is exactly what was back in post #2.  Even the same author.  Oops.

• 3 weeks later...