North Star Heroes - Time is on my side

bluesguy

Normally I don't run multi-session Champions adventures.  Most of the time the episode takes just one session, sometimes two but I don't plan them that way.  Our college age children came home from break and wanted to play.  Our current GM has the rest of us in a deep dungeon adventure in his fantasy campaign - no reasonable way to bring in players for a few weeks.  So I suggested that I would run a multi-session adventure that had at least three parts.

I want to do a few things differently:

• Multiple sessions to resolve the story line
  • Combination of action and role playing and narrative
  • Improvisation on my part as a GM.  I had some main plot points but the players could head out in a bunch of different directions if they choose to do so.  And they did.
  • I wanted to get them out of the Twin Cities/MN which is where they usually have their adventures.

The main protagonist for the adventure could manipulate time.  He was always able to manipulate time in a small way but nothing major.  His powers were boosted when he accidentally ended up being transported to an alternative earth thru a portal, which another 'villain' had created but before our heroes got involved.

The first session involved the same basic encounter happening over and over again, with minor changes.  Basically deja-vu all over again :-).  And it ended with the players in an alternative timeline.

The second session involved exploring the new timeline and figuring out what was going on and how to set things right.  The biggest thing they found out was their protagonist had used future technology to change how WWII was won by the USA.  He was able to arrest the cultural and technological development of that timeline to the 50's/60's.  He also used Sentinels (something like them anyway) to prevent any supers from arising (plus there were never any nuclear devices detonated and the ozone layer stayed in tack which kept mutations low).  

The last session involved going to the point in time before the protagonist enter the dimensional portal.  They never actually fought him because they were able to close the portal before he could cross into it the first time - which destroyed his 'future self'.  But not before he had unleashed a bunch of Sentinels on the players.

The images are from said battle...

post-22260-0-05391400-1452487955_thumb.jpg

post-22260-0-23103000-1452487956_thumb.jpg

post-22260-0-51271400-1452487957_thumb.jpg

post-22260-0-52303600-1452487958_thumb.jpg

If this is the case where the character cannot be out of the adventure, do an new adventure with that one taking place prior to the multi-session episode so that anyone can join. Problem solved: college kids can join yet multi-session episode intact.

If this is the case where the character cannot be out of the adventure, do an new adventure with that one taking place prior to the multi-session episode so that anyone can join. Problem solved: college kids can join yet multi-session episode intact.

I don't think he needs suggestions since the campaign ended. And it looks like it ended successfully. Good job, Bluesguy

CES

I don't think he needs suggestions since the campaign ended. And it looks like it ended successfully. Good job, Bluesguy

CES

You are right on target.  Basically the North Star Heroes is my Champions game.  Usually I just run a simple story that can be wrapped up in a single session - two if I don't guess how long things will take correctly.

Kids home from college and we had four weeks for the entire gaming group to play together.  Running a long Champions storyline was the answer to the situation.

Lets see our resident flyer (modeled after the Arch Angel Gabriel) did some nice multiple move bys on a few Sentinels.  Another player who is something of a cross with Groot/Poison Ivy, used her Oaken fists to bash the daylights out of a Sentinel.  An energy projector used his EMP to knock out the engines on two of the Sentinels, can we say smash into the concrete.  The resident Telekinetic used Sentinel parts to shred on another.  Our brick used a downed tree as a baseball bat.  And the other energy projector just kept pounding on one until it dropped.

Along the way the Sentinels used Gatling guns and artillery type fire.  I couldn't believe how crappy the HCM program rolled for the Sentinels. :jawdrop:   Every time the Sentinels shot it looked a lot like this scene in the 1989 Batman movie https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hasipuR7-as . And a good time was had by all.