Escape Notice

Anaximander

I am trying to build a power that allows a character to walk past a guard on something unnoticed.  I figure it would be a variation of invisibility to sight or mind, but people would actually see him but pay him no attention.  It would only work on the human class of minds.  It would not be useful for any kind of combat modifiers, but those influenced would have a difficult time trying to give an accurate description after the fact.  I am thinking of having it activated by stealth, shadowing, persuasion, or some other skill.  Any ideas on how to best build this ability.

Thanks in advance.

I am trying to build a power that allows a character to walk past a guard on something unnoticed. I figure it would be a variation of invisibility to sight or mind, but people would actually see him but pay him no attention. It would only work on the human class of minds. It would not be useful for any kind of combat modifiers, but those influenced would have a difficult time trying to give an accurate description after the fact. I am thinking of having it activated by stealth, shadowing, persuasion, or some other skill. Any ideas on how to best build this ability.

Thanks in advance.

While Invisibly is the ideal power, it is not the only way. An area of effect Mind Control, no range, Telepathic, Limited Command ("Pay No Attention To Me"), with personal immunity might also do thr job. (One anime character I know of has this ability, Ranma Saotome, and knowing how powerful it is, agreed to seal it away.)

I might have to consider that as an option.  Basically, I am trying take a real life social engineering trick where someone can escape the notice of even trained personnel just by acting like they are supposed to be there and raise it to a cinematic level, and the less it feel like a real power and more like and advanced skill the better.

Oh, I'd put that as as a high Acting Skill, like 15 or 16-, or even higher still. For such a situation, the penalties to the roll would easily end up at -5 at the very least.

I might go with -10 but for this would consider a +10 Levels with Limitation to only use it for this kind of feat.

I think the "Extraordinary Skill" rule that lets you do the "impossible' with a -10 roll is relevant here.

Lucius Alexander

I have to go now, the palindromedary is pestering me about doing the laundry. Also about scrounging up some money....

I am trying to build a power that allows a character to walk past a guard on something unnoticed.  I figure it would be a variation of invisibility to sight or mind, but people would actually see him but pay him no attention.  It would only work on the human class of minds.  It would not be useful for any kind of combat modifiers, but those influenced would have a difficult time trying to give an accurate description after the fact.  I am thinking of having it activated by stealth, shadowing, persuasion, or some other skill.  Any ideas on how to best build this ability.

Thanks in advance.

Still sounds like Invisibility. You could limit it by saying that X amount of Mental Defenses negate or an Ego Roll at -3 or more. You could further limit the power by using Requires a roll (Stealth, or Acting depending on how it really works). Sounds like you are trying to model the classic "I am somebody else's problem" field. Add zero end, persistant and the limitation Always on, to really mess with the guy.

How about Images with the no conscious control limitation.  People see who they expect to see at work...

Generally in Hero if there's a power that is designed to do what you are trying to do ie Invisibility, you are supposed to use that and not model that power with other powers. Images is a kind of squishy area though.

Oh, I'd put that as as a high Acting Skill, like 15 or 16-, or even higher still. For such a situation, the penalties to the roll would easily end up at -5 at the very least.

I would go the Skill route myself, but for the particular effect you mention I'd favor Stealth, just because your character would be using it in circumstances where Stealth applies.

I used the Stealth approach for creatures I once wrote up for Digital Hero.  Their presence was ignored by people not deliberately trying to perceive them; the SFX was that they were so unnatural, the mind instinctively shied away from registering them.

Ah, the classic Obfuscation power from Vampire: The Masquerade.  Guard: "Wall, floor, couch, potted plant, desk, vampire, chairs, wall safe ... room's all clear, guys!"

A character in my game has this exact power.  It was written up as Invisibility with a Psychic SFX and a -1/4 limitation (doesn't work on machines).  The player wanted the effect to linger - even if caught on camera a person reviewing it later would be 'fuzzed' as well (like in the movie Frailty) - to the frustration of the facial recognition program saying 'no seriously... it's this guy again.' The only reason it was worth the 1/4 is the established presence of autonomous security drones and occasional AI in the setting.

Thanks in advance.

Let's break it down:

* invisibility to sight... (Basic Power)

* people would actually see him but pay him no attention.  (Special effect)

* It would only work on the human class of minds.  (Limitation)

* activated by stealth, shadowing, persuasion, or some other skill. (Limitation - RSR)

So far so good. The tricky part is below.

* It would not be useful for any kind of combat modifiers,

* those influenced would have a difficult time trying to give an accurate description after the fact.

The combination of these two is tricky.

The easiest way to handle the first is to have it switch off in combat. Naturally, that means that anyone else who can see the combat can see the character. I think that's OK, as the alternative is that characters in hand to hand combat with the character can see them, but characters 10 m away (say) can't. The problem with that is can characters 3m away see them? 2m, 1m? It's all a bit "too hard basket" at that point. You can rationalise the character being able to be seen by saying that the combat draws attention to them. In any case, "any kind of combat modifiers" supports the power effectively turning off.

Unfortunately, this doesn't handle the second clause. Once the character can be seen, they can be described. Up until now we have a pretty straightforward variation of Invisibility. Now we've got something else.

I suppose you could handle this as part of the switches off in combat limitation. Basically, it switches off "but doesn't really". Champions Complete has "Only When Not Attacking (-½)". Maybe you could give your version (-1/4).

An Area of Effect Selective Change Environment - penalty to perception - might work for this as well.

With something hefty like a -8 only the luckiest or perceptive guards would notice the character moving through.  He's not invisible - they just don't notice him.  This leaves room for natural counters in the game - highly perceptive people, etc - that are less extreme than the ones needed to counter full invisibility. 

Costs on it could easily balloon to higher than invisibility for an inferior power, though.

* It would not be useful for any kind of combat modifiers,

* those influenced would have a difficult time trying to give an accurate description after the fact.

The combination of these two is tricky.

The combination of these two things is basically the Anonymity perk (instead of giving an accurate description and nobody knowing who that is they're giving an inaccurate description) and an agreement between player and GM about not revoking it unless the player starts abusing it somehow.

An Area of Effect Selective Change Environment - penalty to perception - might work for this as well.

With something hefty like a -8 only the luckiest or perceptive guards would notice the character moving through.  He's not invisible - they just don't notice him.  This leaves room for natural counters in the game - highly perceptive people, etc - that are less extreme than the ones needed to counter full invisibility. 

Costs on it could easily balloon to higher than invisibility for an inferior power, though.

This looks like a fine build, I don't think you need to go for -8 though, as the character can still use his skill vs skill "I totally belong here", but benefits from an extra -4 or -5 on the oposing roll, if it is "lingering" it can modify Int rolls to recall details no problem. :yes:

So...CE:  -6 Int rolls to notice, or remember, yadda yadda, Lingering, yadda  done!