DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Actually, I think the whole reason for Marvel's success is that Kevin Feighe (sic) had a plan, and stuck with it, and Disney is not wanting to mess with success. I don't think DC will ever be as successful as Marvel is, because they don't have a single vision. They have a comittee that green lights the scripts and films, now after giving Zack Snyder the boot from the pseudo Feighe position he held. The scripts aren't unified. They started from a 1990's comics perspective, i.e. dark and gritty. They have been rushing to play catchup with Marvel, instead of grtowing their stable organically, and also avoiding Marvel's few mistakes. They aren't learning from Marvel. I currently live in Hollywood and have done some minor work, but the place is steeped in trade press and gossip, and the talk about the DC films is that they are kind of a mess, before the camera's roll, and how much of a mess they are after is completely dependent on the Director's ability to shove off the grabby hands of the studio and the producers.

On 10/28/2018 at 10:46 AM, Scott Ruggels said:

Actually, I think the whole reason for Marvel's success is that Kevin Feighe (sic) had a plan, and stuck with it, and Disney is not wanting to mess with success. I don't think DC will ever be as successful as Marvel is, because they don't have a single vision. They have a comittee that green lights the scripts and films, now after giving Zack Snyder the boot from the pseudo Feighe position he held. The scripts aren't unified. They started from a 1990's comics perspective, i.e. dark and gritty. They have been rushing to play catchup with Marvel, instead of grtowing their stable organically, and also avoiding Marvel's few mistakes. They aren't learning from Marvel. I currently live in Hollywood and have done some minor work, but the place is steeped in trade press and gossip, and the talk about the DC films is that they are kind of a mess, before the camera's roll, and how much of a mess they are after is completely dependent on the Director's ability to shove off the grabby hands of the studio and the producers.

That's sad on so many levels.

Thank you for the example. Also in Hollywood is a a tension between attitudes of Directors wanting a big budget, but knowing The larger the budget, the more studio interference and the more “playing not to loose”, I.e. protecting their investment. There is an attitude amongst executives that can be stated that “It is irresponsible for one individual to be responsible for so much of other people’s money.” This coupled with some general producers graft serves to push budgets higher. You can’t skim a million dollars from an10 million dollar film, but you can from an100 million dollar film. The problem of small budget films is getting distributed into mainstream theaters. So yeah Hollywood is just a huge tax dodge, with one giant hit or three a year to satisfy Uncle Sam 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2018 at 1:48 PM, Greywind said:

In the sequel, Aquaman will have to contend with Capt. Jack Sparrow.

That could be a fight... I'm fairly sure Sparrow's breath is high enough proof to be lit on fire and dehydrate Aquaman.

The news about Wonder Woman 2 is not good, but if anyone in DC's employ can pull a coherent movie out I'd say Patty Jenkins is that person.

On 11/15/2018 at 7:57 PM, zslane said:

I'm guessing that Aquaman will wear his classic colors in the final act of the film only. And I bet we'll never see it again after that.

I do not see it really "fitting" Momoa Man either.

They already showed his tatoos. And it would be wierd if they would cover them up from now on.

• 4 weeks later...