DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

22 hours ago, zslane said:

Presumably it will be a comedy.

21 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

With a character with a completely malleable body, they could go full-on Wile E. Coyote in physically abusing him. Even worse than Deadpool. ?

It is plastic man. He needs to actually try to be serious.

19 hours ago, assault said:

Plastic Man and the Joker's origins are quite similar.

Just sayin'.

As is the Batman TAS version of the Creeper. Dangit, why has nobody invented lids for chemical tanks yet? And why is ace chemicals still open?

I wouldn't go full Mask, because he was deliberately written as a living cartoon character.  But he should be somewhat silly and light hearted, goofing around because he's basically invulnerable.  And it fits his character.  I think a PG rated Deadpool take is better, not as insane but takes nothing seriously and is laughing and making fun of bad guys. And I'm reasonably certain that's what studio execs are thinking "this is our Deadpool!  He's a bad guy who gets powers and is always cracking jokes!"

The problem is that most of what makes Deadpool work (other than the brilliant concepts of being insane and thinking he's in a comic) is Ryan Reynolds.  He's hilarious and gifted at on the spot comedy.  You need someone who can make that character work.

Ryan Reynolds was utterly destined to play Deadpool. So destined, in fact, that he got two chances to get it right (and he was entirely within his rights to go back in time and personally kill the prior incarnation, IMO). This is one of those rare instances where the role and the actor were so made for each other that it will take a couple of generations before that character will be viable again with someone else playing it (see also, Christopher Reeve, Hugh Jackman, and Robert Downey Jr.). I don't see anyone having that kind of connection with a (superhero) role in the DCEU. I mean, Mamoa and Gadot do excellent jobs with their characters, but I would not say they inhabit them to the same degree as those previously mentioned.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:25 PM, zslane said:

Ryan Reynolds was utterly destined to play Deadpool. So destined, in fact, that he got two chances to get it right (and he was entirely within his rights to go back in time and personally kill the prior incarnation, IMO). This is one of those rare instances where the role and the actor were so made for each other that it will take a couple of generations before that character will be viable again with someone else playing it (see also, Christopher Reeve, Hugh Jackman, and Robert Downey Jr.).

The only one more destined would be Samuel L Jackson and Nick Fury.

After the incarnation that was "David Hasslehoff" (it is one of those movies we no longer talk about), Marval asked to make Fury look like Samuel L Jackson. So yeah, the role was literally made for him. You can not have a role made for you more then that.

On 12/19/2018 at 7:25 PM, zslane said:

I mean, Mamoa and Gadot do excellent jobs with their characters, but I would not say they inhabit them to the same degree as those previously mentioned. 

They make the Role fit themself in very subtle ways.

4 hours ago, Christopher said:

The only one more destined would be Samuel L Jackson and Nick Fury.

After the incarnation that was "David Hasslehoff" (it is one of those movies we no longer talk about), Marval asked to make Fury look like Samuel L Jackson. So yeah, the role was literally made for him. You can not have a role made for you more then that.

They make the Role fit themself in very subtle ways.

The original Ultimate Nick Fury...

First_Ultimate_Fury.jpg

6 hours ago, Greywind said:

The original Ultimate Nick Fury...

First_Ultimate_Fury.jpg

That the current Ultimate Nick Fury is based on Samuel L. Jackson is Wikipedia level knowledge:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_L._Jackson#2010s

" In 2002, Jackson gave his consent for Marvel Comics to design their "Ultimate" version of the character Nick Fury after his likeness.[104] In the 2008 film Iron Man, he made a cameo as the character in a post-credit scene.[105] In February 2009, Jackson signed on to a nine-picture deal with Marvel which would see him appear as the character in Iron Man 2, Thor, Captain America: The First Avenger, and The Avengers as well as any other sequels they would produce.[106] He reprised the role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)[107] and Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015).[108] In February 2015, Jackson stated that he only has two movies left on his Marvel contract following Ultron.[109] "

2 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Hasslehoff was the Ultimate Nick Fury!

You do not Hassle yourself by pointelssly mentioning the Hoff.

Personally I much prefer the original WW2 vet Nick Fury, but its difficult to support based on the time gap.  I mean they did it in Marvel with various treatments and medicines etc but they'd have to somehow make that make sense in the movie universe where supposedly none of that stuff was possible or heard of before the movies.

7 hours ago, Old Man said:

Nick Fury is not a DC character. 

Just got back from Aquaman.  It did not suck, and it exceeded (admittedly low) expectations.  It was epic and well cast.  If I had complaints, they would be cheesiness and predictability.

If you want to speak freely, I made a spoiler thread for it:

Aquaman has so far made a $629 million worldwide. So we may have to consider the possibility that the DCEU may not implode, despite the massive failure that was Justice League.  It turns out that all they need to do is make films completely without Zack Snyder being involved.  Who knew?  Except, well, everybody.

48 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

Aquaman has so far made a $629 million worldwide. So we may have to consider the possibility that the DCEU may not implode, despite the massive failure that was Justice League.  It turns out that all they need to do is make films completely without Zack Snyder being involved.  Who knew?  Except, well, everybody.

Might need to change the thread title at this rate

Saw Bumblebee other day, and they really needed to cast the kid who played the brother as young Billy Baxton. He looks like a 12 year old Zachary Levi. I know Shazam isn't supposed to look like adult version normally, but I think would have given better impression of grown up version of Billy.