DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

These days most of the industry folk I hear discussing a film's public reception put more stock in Cinemascore than Rotten Tomatoes. Cinemascore's letter grade is based on surveys of people who have actually gone to see the movie, so is less subject to being manipulated by biased parties vote-bombing a website, trying to create a trend for the masses to follow.

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

These days most of the industry folk I hear discussing a film's public reception put more stock in Cinemascore than Rotten Tomatoes. Cinemascore's letter grade is based on surveys of people who have actually gone to see the movie, so is less subject to being manipulated by biased parties vote-bombing a website, trying to create a trend for the masses to follow.

Indeed the "Ancoring Effect" is a well known one:

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2018 at 8:11 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

The artist based Captain Marvel on Fred MacMurray [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred_MacMurray] - but he was saddled with Golden Age comic book drawing speed. 

the original Artist, C.C. Beck  lived a long life, outlasting his drawing ability, sadly, but ended his days as a columnist for "the Comics Journal",  giving a curmudgeonly end cap to that magazine, each issue, until his death in 1989. I used to read his sharp observations as a subscriber to The Comics Journal, and Amazing Heroes, back when I worked as a comic book inker in the late 80's and early 90's.

I think that  The tone, observed in the  trailer for Shazam matches the somewhat goofy tone of the Golden Age  Captain Marvel stories from Fawcett publications, with the idea of a 10 year old suddenly achieving super powers and an adult body. 

I think that  The tone, observed in the  trailer for Shazam matches the somewhat goofy tone of the Golden Age  Captain Marvel stories from Fawcett publications, with the idea of a 10 year old suddenly achieving super powers and an adult body. 

I get a sense that is what they were going for, and I really appreciate that approach even if it doesn't work for them or they can't quite pull it off.  That's exactly the tone they should go for.  A G-rated Bloodpool, if that makes any sense.  A big break from the way superhero movies are done, with lots of fun in it, that kids can really enjoy.

Sure, a Big-like tone is appropriate for the character assuming you are going for a Golden Age feel. However, I don't think a modern setting is going to have that Golden Age vibe overall, making the character feel rather out of place with his environment tonally. And he certainly won't feel like a part of the DCEU. The tonal whiplash these movies are giving me is painful.