DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

1 hour ago, slikmar said:

NO, DO IT MY WAY most of the time.

Well, aside from small variations in tone and color palette that, IMO, barely move the needle on the "Do What You Want" meter, all of the MCU movies share a common style, look, feel, and connected-ness to the cinematic collective (i.e., the super-franchise). That's because no director was given the power to contradict Feige, or else they were released (or left on their own, ala Edgar Wright).

The DCEU movies were never shaped by the strong guiding hand of Geoff Johns in a similar way. It is unclear to me how much of that is the result of Johns simply lacking the ability/vision, and how much is the result of WB lacking the faith in Johns to be their Feige.

On 1/23/2019 at 4:42 PM, Hermit said:

Should I change the title of this thread?

The Past Failure of the DC Movie Universe not counting super popular Wonder Woman and Billion Dollar Aquaman

or

This was about DC Films now it's about Deadpool and MAYBE Shazam

or...

:)

Hermit! I'm busy for a few days and the thread title is strangely changed. So I look through it and find this. . what's the opposite of buzz-killling?

Sheesh, man. Do I need to draw you a picture? Everything sucks. And that's what this thread used to be about in the good old days. Turning that smile upside down!  And now you're saying that we have to consider maybe being positive about something? You know that's a slippery slope, right? First you're being conditionally positive. Then, before you know it, you're cheerful. A little later, and it's turned into terminal optimism.

Well, no more, I say, no more! Nip this incremental trend towards happiness before it gets away on you! You'll be happy you di--

Darn. Too late.

It's going to be Noir-ish with an organized crime (mobster) focus, I guess. But it will be a modernized take on Noir, like Brick or Jessica Jones. That could work, but I think it would be cool to do a period version of Batman, taking him back to the mid-late 1930s. A Noir stylization would work especially well with that era (obviously).

I think would be interesting if you had Flash or Diana asking Afleck - how did you get started doing this and him telling the tale like a year one,  with a younger version of him during it. gives some continuity and lets them transition to new actor.

Having said that, them getting away from the Frank MIller stuff isnt a bad idea. I really liked his stuff, the returns and year one, but WB gets to fascinated with his dark morale versions of things.

• 2 weeks later...

A (relatively) inexpensive, horror-oriented DCEU spinoff produced by WB's horror director prodigy could do pretty well for them. It won't add anything meaningful to the DCEU in terms of worldbuilding, and it won't be up for Best Picture, but if it has a low enough budget, WB can afford to take the risk and claim (financial) victory at the end of the day.

DC: We just got our first billion gross movie since Man of Steel. Any ideas of a sequel?

Exec 1: Aquaman vs Superman?

Exec 2: Mera spinoff, or Arthur's mum?

DC: Too predicable.

Exec 3: a Trench movie. With those piranha-men! Well make it a horror film, with no main cast from Aquaman.

DC: I love this idea. Let's do it.