DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

• Replies 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I disagree with this attitude so much. "Changed" is not a synonym for "ruined," and is almost always preferable to "held completely static for decades."   In the specific case of Peter's marriage, I

WARNER BROTHERS: Everything you know about the Flash and the DC Universe is WRONG! COMIC BOOK FANS: So Flash isn't a socially-retarded motormouth anymore? And the DCEU isn't depressing destructo-

12 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

It definitely looks like Warner has finally grasped that not all their comic-book heroes are suitable for "dark," and some will actually be a lot more profitable if they aren't.

Snyder definitely does not need to come back for reasons others have pointed out or referenced already.  At this stage, DC movies need to do what they're doing, that is getting more optimistic directors that actually like superheroes and let them have a bit of fun with it and invite the audience along. Wan was fantastic on Aquaman because he embraced what he had to work with and the craziness of it all. Jenkins fought hard for the No Man's Land scene to stay in because she knew it was crucial, and she was right! She helped bring Wonder Woman to live beautifully.  In each movie there was a sense of idealism and dare I say it, even optimism. That is needed , particularly in a time where folks want movies as an escape.

Hmm, so now Joker is Michael Douglas from Falling Down instead of tattoo'd psycho gangster as he was portrayed in Suicide Squad.

Not sure a sympathetic Joker works. I really liked Ledger's portrayal in Dark Knight or Monaghan from Gotham. Joker needs to be an intelligent (at or near Batman's level) force of chaos.

Lets be honest here we are afraid they are going to make the Joker out to be a tragic anti hero rather than the entertaining but monstrous villain we love to hate.

It started with the Ledger Joker, he was intense and dangerous so the character became popular and instead of admiring to themselves that they like a character because he is evil and powerful different fans tried to find something of philosophical value in the Joker. 

Lets hope that the powers that be at Warner bros dont fall into the same trap that fan fiction writers does and keep him the evil clown prince of crime.

But as I mentioned, all they would have to do is go look at how Monaghan played the prelude Joker in the Gotham series (I haven't seen the latest season yet, so not sure how his "brother" will be). The thing I liked about Leger and Monaghan was they both made me laugh and then realize "That's not right". Specifically I think of the disappearing pencil for Ledger. A joker who is a failed standup comedian due to thugs beating him up isn't the Joker to me. Even the psycho gangster joker was more joker to me.

I think the idea here is that this Joker is not just a victim of mental illness, but a product of the callous soul of Gotham itself, its people, and its institutions. Yes, he is an avatar of Travis Bickle for sure. There's simply no denying that. And no, he isn't the classic Joker. Yet. Since this takes place while Bruce Wayne is just a child, you have to extrapolate (on your own) this "Joker: Year One" form of the villain into the mad genius that eventually becomes a foil for Batman some two decades down the road.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

I think the idea here is that this Joker is not just a victim of mental illness, but a product of the callous soul of Gotham itself, its people, and its institutions. Yes, he is an avatar of Travis Bickle for sure. There's simply no denying that. And no, he isn't the classic Joker. Yet. Since this takes place while Bruce Wayne is just a child, you have to extrapolate (on your own) this "Joker: Year One" form of the villain into the mad genius that eventually becomes a foil for Batman some two decades down the road.

Ok, then maybe don't cast a 44 year old actor to play a character that at best should be early 20s, or does anyone think Joker is 30 years older then Batman. Now, maybe if they were billing this as the father of the person who would become The Joker, I could see it, and maybe they will do so. The young son influenced by the callous treatment of his father and his father's retribution, perhaps ending with the father's death/life imprisonment  at the hands of the authorities who couldn't/wouldn't protect him. A warped  homage/crossing of Bruce/Batman's own beginning.