DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

On 5/18/2019 at 3:22 PM, Bazza said:

Add me to the list who liked Affleck as Batman & Bruce. 

Ditto here. Affleck had to work with was he was given (including gunning down people) but he did a good job and personally thought he was the better choice for the chatacter physically. I never cared about Bat-Keaton and while I liked Bat-Bale, he never had the jaw for the role.

In the end Batfleck is closer to the source material.

On 5/18/2019 at 7:33 PM, Lord Liaden said:

I never understood all the fan contempt for Ben's Daredevil. I thought it one of the more faithful comic-book adaptations from its era. Certainly not a perfect film, but with a lot to recommend it.

I liked it too :) Yes, the see saw stuff was..'do you even care about your identity sir' but then.. I've read comics where, no, Matt did not.

(Until it was too late)

1 minute ago, Lord Liaden said:

It's surprising to me that a comical sidekick character created for Batman: The Animated Series in the early Nineties, has become such a popular and integral figure in the Batman mythos.

I think a lot of credit goes to the original voice actress and some stellar writing to help form an amazingly in depth character...

Batman needs her help. She's all excited.. and the next thing you know, she's going along in cuffs "I sense a lack of trust" THAT'S funny!

to the tragic side where you see exactly how brainwashed she is.. wounded, hurt, and going "It's my fault- I didn't get the joke"

That is a rich vein for any writers, good and bad, to try to mine, and most folks I know cheer for Harely Quinn because we all want to see the survivor stand up again. She's like the Rocky Balboa of an Abusive relationship, we want her to get up, stand, psychological damage and all and somehow come out as Champ of her own personal life.

But then again I do hang around unrepentant saps and am a member of their tribe.

3 hours ago, Hermit said:

Birds of Prey

I'm not thrilled with the Birds of Prey team being Elseworlds'ed like this though, putting Harley in charge of a team of heroes/vigilantes in place of Oracle. It's as if the producers couldn't think of a better way to showcase Harley (as a title character) without appropriating another property in the DC catalog and "re-invisioning" it. 🤮

1 minute ago, zslane said:

I'm not thrilled with the Birds of Prey team being Elseworlds'ed like this though, putting Harley in charge of a team of heroes/vigilantes in place of Oracle. It's as if the producers couldn't think of a better way to showcase Harley (as a title character) without appropriating another property in the DC catalog and "re-invisioning" it. 🤮

Fair gripe and concern.

But then I wasn't crazy about a Defenders on Netflix without Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer and the Hulk ;)

My favorite Guardians of the Galaxy was the 30th Century crew, created long before Starlord's ragtag band. By this point I try to just accept whatever characters are put in front of me on their own terms, rather than comparing them. My success rate at that would probably make a decent MLB batting average. :rolleyes:

Just now, Lord Liaden said:

My favorite Guardians of the Galaxy was the 30th Century crew, created long before Starlord's ragtag band. By this point I try to just accept whatever characters are put in front of me on their own terms, rather than comparing them. My success rate at that would probably make a decent MLB batting average. :rolleyes:

I hear you. I have grown to love the new crew, but I did enjoy Major Vance Astro, Charlie-27 and the rest

Hey, I'm all for a version of a team that may not be the "iconic" comics version of the team, as long as it turns out really good. I would say that the MCU Guardians rose to that standard, at least for me. The Netflix Defenders, on the other hand, did not.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I agree, this feels kind of crass (and really, who'd join an organization that Harley Quinn set up???)

If I were a street-level super, I might join up in an effort to keep her in line.

I mean, I'd like it if she wanted to turn over a new leaf and be a hero. But I wouldn't trust her to not gun down everyone in her way and deliberately create huge amounts of collateral damage while thinking that was heroic behavior.

After all, sometimes a city is trashed in Superman's battles. But that's a side effect of how powerful some of his foes are rather than a side effect of being a hero. I wouldn't trust that Harley Quinn would recognize that subtle difference when trying to stop a bank robbery, for example. (No, Harley, blowing up the bridge to stop the bank robber's get-away car is NOT on the table as a valid strategy!)