DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Heath Ledger, at least, had recently come off of an Academy Award winning movie. He had highly credible acting chops, even if we couldn’t quite imagine how he was going to embody the Joker. We can’t say the same for Robert Pattinson.

Well, he has a lot to prove to me as an actor, but I am keeping an open mind about it. I agree with Starlord in that the writing and directing will probably be the most important thing to get right. However, the old truism in Hollywood that 90% of success is in casting can’t be ignored.

Remember how people over-reacted to Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker?

No, I don't really.  I remember everyone I know going "that's an interesting choice" but not being upset or confused.  Pattinson would be a lot less burly and buff Batman, which is okay in my book (he was never huge and bulky until Dark Knight).  I just don't know if he can pull off the personality of Bruce Wayne very well, but then neither did Affleck.

6 hours ago, Greywind said:

Funny you mention Affleck, Christopher. I've talked to several people that actually thought he got Bruce/Batman right. Mostly he suffered from the writing.

I'm one if the people that thought Affleck's Batman was very well done.  If they ever found a team to actually make a Batman movie again, I'd like to see him again. 

But I guess that possibility is as remote as them ever making a Superman movie about the actual character.

32 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Oh I am confident if you look hard and far enough you can find someone outraged that the spinkles on ice cream aren't organized by color.  That doesn't mean it was widespread or remotely significant as a cultural event

I believe you are pretty spot on there.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Oh I am confident if you look hard and far enough you can find someone outraged that the spinkles on ice cream aren't organized by color.  That doesn't mean it was widespread or remotely significant as a cultural event

It's not really fair to equate an actual evidentiary example to a fictional straw man.

18 hours ago, Greywind said:

Not going to argue opinion. Sorry you didn't enjoy his performance.

I never said or implied anything of the kind. Both Christopher Taylor and yourself said you could not recall upset about Ledger being cast as the Joker. I then found proof of the upset and posted a link.

The situation can be compared to Pattinson being cast as Batman before we get any footage, previews or the full film.

You posted the news about Pattinson without comment. All I am saying is regardless of what anyone thinks of his other work, let's wait until we get the finished result and then pass judgement.

On 6/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, death tribble said:

As a follow up, here is the reaction to Heath Ledger being cast as the Joker. Note this is before the previews etc.

https://www.newsarama.com/18753-public-service-reminder-how-the-internet-reacted-to-heath-ledger-as-joker-casting.html

I 'member thinking "oh Jesus Christ, the guy from Knights Tale and Brokeback Mountain is going to play the Joker?!" And wondering if we were going to get "We will rock you" or someone exploring the character's pathos in overly dramatic fashion. 

I was incorrect in my assumption, he had a strong and interesting performance. Really good stuff, I still liked Nicholson's version better (at the time and given the era) but his was right up there. 

Heck, I can remember fan furor over Tom Cruise being cast as Lestat in Interview With the Vampire.

Casting is only half the equation, though. The other half is direction. Actors shape their performances according to what the director wants them to do. I personally hated how Jesse Eisenberg played Lex Luthor in BVS, but whether or not it was his choice, Zack Snyder must have wanted him to play the character that way. The brief cameo he had at the end of Justice League came across much more like the Lex Luthor we all know and love to hate, and I wouldn't have minded seeing where Jesse might have taken that. Of course it's now extremely unlikely he'll ever get that chance.

4 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Of course. That's the proper way to eat any multicolored fruit chew: skittles, starburst, gummy bears, whatever. 

I'd hate to think anyone does that differently. Savages.

I arrange my candy by color, but start by consuming the color with the fewest pieces, then work my way up. Historically the smallest tribes are always devoured first. :eg: