DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

On 6/7/2019 at 11:24 PM, Pattern Ghost said:

Yeah, there's getting on a soapbox, then there's whacking the audience over the head with a soapbox. Aside from a couple of cringe-worthy lines, it looks decent though.

9 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

There is so much material available to option for television and movies, and they went with Batwoman? Okay. 

8 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Maybe they can make her interesting, but I agree, there are better properties they could do instead, but its CW so I'm glad they aren't ruining something else.

Doing a Batwoman is not that bad of an idea and could work out well.  But they need simply make a Batwoman series instead of a emphasizing a political stance.   Every single article to do with this is buried under identity politics. 

The movie Wonder Woman was prime example of how to do it right.  The lead up publicity made efforts to ignore or play down the idiots (on both sides) if the identity politics.  The emphasized the story and when it hit the theater you had a great movie with their "political statements" tastefully inserted with a humorous flair. And they tried to downplay the pseudo controversy that was laboriously hyped by agenda driven idiots pointing at a handful of anonymous internet posts. 

So far I have little idea of which version of Batwoman they are making, but I know that the main character is written as a lesbian and apparently is being attacked because she isn't the correct type of lesbian or something.  I have given up in trying to figure out an agenda that changes hourly.  

Anyway I hope the show makes it.  I love super shows.  But I absolutely hate political platforms masquerading as TV shows. 

Marvels Runaways on Hulu is another example of a show done right.  Did they have their political views and statements?  Yes.  Did they apply them like a 2x4 to the forehead? No.  I am really hoping for another season. 

13 hours ago, Spence said:

Doing a Batwoman is not that bad of an idea and could work out well.  But they need simply make a Batwoman series instead of a emphasizing a political stance.   Every single article to do with this is buried under identity politics. 

The movie Wonder Woman was prime example of how to do it right.  The lead up publicity made efforts to ignore or play down the idiots (on both sides) if the identity politics.  The emphasized the story and when it hit the theater you had a great movie with their "political statements" tastefully inserted with a humorous flair. And they tried to downplay the pseudo controversy that was laboriously hyped by agenda driven idiots pointing at a handful of anonymous internet posts. 

So far I have little idea of which version of Batwoman they are making, but I know that the main character is written as a lesbian and apparently is being attacked because she isn't the correct type of lesbian or something.  I have given up in trying to figure out an agenda that changes hourly.  

Anyway I hope the show makes it.  I love super shows.  But I absolutely hate political platforms masquerading as TV shows. 

Marvels Runaways on Hulu is another example of a show done right.  Did they have their political views and statements?  Yes.  Did they apply them like a 2x4 to the forehead? No.  I am really hoping for another season. 

Runaways was approved for season 3 on March 24.

The people I see criticizing the Batwoman trailer are primarily conservatives and anti-feminists who don't like that this version of Kate Kane is taking a loud-and-proud "I am woman, hear me roar" approach to her life. Basically what it comes down to is that this Kate Kane is someone who, if she were a real person, the critics would not like and wouldn't be able to stand being around. That's fine, but that doesn't make the show bad, or even potentially bad, it just makes it something they shouldn't waste their time watching. Not every tv show is going to appeal to everyone. Not every superhero tv show is going to appeal to every superhero fan. The volume of hate expressed online is not a reflection of the likely quality of the show, in my view, but rather purely a reflection of how easy it has become for shrieking harridans to find a (like-minded) audience and be heard.

Well, I can see why many people are finding the sentiments this Batwoman expresses in that trailer to be irritating. On one level they sound quite hypocritical. This woman proclaims she doesn't want to be defined by the man she's succeeding as Gotham's protector; she wants to establish her own identity and be given credit for her own accomplishments (and she expresses those sentiments within an explicit man-to-woman dynamic). Yet in order to do that she unilaterally appropriates for herself everything that man had built -- the headquarters, equipment, methodology, even part of his name and image.

I get the impression that her attitude is, "A woman can play the same game a man can, and maybe better." In order to play the game she has in mind, and show she can do it just as well if not better than a man, she has to wear the same uniform and play for the same victory conditions. Batman isn't a great crime fighter because of his ability to utilize his father's company (and fortune), but in his ability to out-think and out-fight the criminals. I would argue that Kate Kane is taking the same approach, but rather than inheriting her resources from her father, she is inheriting them from her cousin.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

The people I see criticizing the Batwoman trailer are primarily conservatives and anti-feminists who don't like that this version of Kate Kane is taking a loud-and-proud "I am woman, hear me roar" approach to her life. Basically what it comes down to is that this Kate Kane is someone who, if she were a real person, the critics would not like and wouldn't be able to stand being around. That's fine, but that doesn't make the show bad, or even potentially bad, it just makes it something they shouldn't waste their time watching. Not every tv show is going to appeal to everyone. Not every superhero tv show is going to appeal to every superhero fan. The volume of hate expressed online is not a reflection of the likely quality of the show, in my view, but rather purely a reflection of how easy it has become for shrieking harridans to find a (like-minded) audience and be heard.

I just watched the trailer.  It looks like any of the other DC TV shows.  I didn't find anything to be offended by, but it's not something I'm going to watch.  Of course, I don't watch any of those other shows either.  Now, it's clearly trying to send the "I'm a badass bitch" vibe, while also trying to appeal to guys who want to see hot lesbian action but haven't heard of the internet yet.  I mean, they're perfectly within their rights to make a show like that, but it's obviously not aimed at me.

Appealing to those who find lesbians and "badass bitches" entertaining is going to alienate a certain demographic in the process. That demographic not only has the same unfettered access to YouTube and blogs as everyone else, they also seem to be blessed with a tireless capacity to express outrage and disapproval. I wouldn't mind it so much if YouTube didn't insist on littering my home page with thumbnails of their videos.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Appealing to those who find lesbians and "badass bitches" entertaining is going to alienate a certain demographic in the process. That demographic not only has the same unfettered access to YouTube and blogs as everyone else, they also seem to be blessed with a tireless capacity to express outrage and disapproval. I wouldn't mind it so much if YouTube didn't insist on littering my home page with thumbnails of their videos.

Well yeah.  By trying to appeal to one audience, you're gonna lose another.  I mean, it doesn't really appeal to me.  I don't have any problem with equal representation or anything like that, but I'm very clearly not the target demographic.  Unfortunately, I guess controversy gets clicks?  One of the downsides of YouTube is that it seems every other person on there wants to be a shock jock or outrage host or whatever.  The Angry Nintendo Nerd was funny, but he was just screaming about bad video games.  Lots of people have taken that shtick and applied it to politics (or anything they can make political).  This show seems like it was kinda made to push their buttons.

Hmmm.... 

A the trailer was OK, but really didn't show me much about why I should watch Batwoman.

The non-trailer content pretty much ignored talking about the show, instead opting to hammer away at a single statement. The main character is a lesbian.

And the actress only seems to be talkibg about playing a lesbian, and oops, she used a wrong word and someone was upset about it.

So, it is not about lesbians ir any if the identity politics. 

It is 100% about, if you are making a Superhero show, tell me why that Hero should interest me and why Batwoman will be good.  Not irrelevant to the show side topics.

I really hate artificial controversy being constantly inserted into literally everything.  Especially when everyone ignores the real issue to point at the artificial non-issue and babble.

It makes a certain amount of sense that the actress would talk about the character being a lesbian. Batwoman is a lesbian in the comics, and naturally her fans will want to know if that aspect of the character is going to be in the show as well. Not addressing the issue would have been extremely conspicuous given the current diversity-focused zeitgeist. And it's not like the CW doesn't have experience with LGBT characters already; this surely seems merely like a natural continuation of what they started with characters like Sara Lance, Nyssa, and Alex Danvers.

I'm also keeping in mind that the trailer hitting you over the head with two or three of these grrl power lines within 30 seconds might be less jarring if those lines are spread out over a two hour pilot and in context. For example, we've already seen her father being over protective, even though (IIRC from her other appearance) she's a combat vet. So, some of those lines could be a reaction to Daddy wanting to keep his little girl safe grating on the character.

There was another show - which one - I can't remember, that had the first couple of episodes sprinkled with this kind of stuff, then settled into being a pretty decent, less soapboxy, show. So, we'll see.

The streaming landscape is so screwed up right now with everyone scrambling to play their part in the Great Splintering of the digital entertainment space. I'm just going to sit back and watch it all turn to ash, and then see which services are still standing after the Great Reckoning occurs.

Under AT&T, Warner's already axed several streaming services, and will probably consolidate the rest as part of their WarnerMedia streaming package that they want to roll out. They've already announced that HBO streaming will be the centerpiece of the new service. 

From Variety last year:

“We expect financial support to launch this product to come from a combination of incremental efficiencies within the WarnerMedia operations, consolidating resources from sub-scale D2C efforts, fallow library content, and technology reuse,” AT&T said in the filing. “We expect to defer some licensing revenues to later periods in the form of increased customer subscription revenues.”

By “sub-scale D2C efforts,” AT&T is likely referring to existing WarnerMedia properties such as Boomerang (featuring classic cartoons), DramaFever (a Korean programming service) and the fledgling DC Universe streaming platform. It’s understood that those ventures will be rolled into the larger new service in an effort to cut operating costs and more quickly aggregate audiences by offering a wider menu of programs.