DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

5 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Then again, Captain America: Civil War went deeply into differing standards of heroism and justice.

Actually, that movie was more of an allegory for the American exercise of power and its penchant to act unilaterally (and potentially irresponsibly) outside its own borders, all in the name of saving others. Without the legal MacGuffin of the Sokovian Accords there is no "civil war". So it really all comes down to what those accords are attempting to do, which is to place operational constraints on the Avengers and put a multi-national committee in charge of them. It had nothing to do with heroism or justice, but international arms control. The reason this put Tony at odds with Steve is because the idea of external restraint (even if that meant sacrificing freedom at the altar of security) aligned with Tony's all-consuming guilt. Tony and Steve did not disagree about heroism or what needed to be done in a crisis. They disagreed over who should have control over their powers.

I absolutely agree with you that that was the pivotal conflict of the film, which precipitated the breakdown between the Avengers. But then I go back to the debate among the Avengers over whether to accept the Sokovia Accords. Steve asserting that accepting oversight would be signing away their right to choose, to act on their own judgement of right and wrong. Tony responding that if they couldn't accept limits, they were no better than the bad guys. Vision pointing out that the Avengers' very existence invited challenge, which led to conflict; and the film showed several examples of how lives were directly lost through the Avengers' involvement. Yet Steve told Wanda that sometimes they couldn't save everyone, but that didn't mean they gave up. Steve led his allies to fight to reach and stop the Hydra super-soldiers from being awakened, which only ended up playing right into Zemo's hands; and the man who stood for truth was revealed to have concealed the truth from his friend and ally.

That film gave me a lot more food for thought about heroes and heroism, than just the political dispute.

10 hours ago, BarretWallace said:

(which kinda hurt because I think Henry Cavill is talented outside a Snyder movie). 

Perhaps the greatest tragedy of the Snyderverse is wasting Henry Cavill. You couldn’t engineer a better casting choice in a test tube. Not only does he ace all appearance, build, action, and acting requirements, he’s an avid fanboy and gamer who posts pictures of his WH40K army on IG and insisted on playing the Witcher because he was a huge fan of the games. 

8 hours ago, slikmar said:

And yes, my meaning was not a direct quote but more a comment on Pa Kent from Man of Steel berating Clark, which, incidentally led directly to Pa's death in the tornado due to Clark hesitating when Pa basically signaled don't save me. Not sure how we didn't get the Brightburn Superman from Snyder in these movies.

The answer to that is in a direct quote: "MARTHA!"

2 hours ago, zslane said:

From a fan perspective Cavill is ideal for Superman. However, it is well known throughout Hollywood that he is hard to work with. Not exactly a team player. And he absolutely is not on Team Warner Brothers.

My research weighs on the assessment that he's a pretty nice guy, quite self-effacing. Some remarks assert that he's very private and something of a dork, and very committed when he takes on a project, any of which could rub some people the wrong way.

Henry Cavill said that the most difficult part of making the movie was definitely his two shirtless scenes. He had been training for months prior to filming, but for his shirtless scenes, he went on an extremely difficult diet and training regimen in which his calorie intake was cut from five thousand to nearly fifteen hundred for six weeks. After six weeks, he reached a body fat level of just seven percent, the level achieved by professional body-builders during competitions. Henry said he did this because he wanted to make his abs as pronounced and his muscles as defined as humanly possible, to create the best possible Superman physique. Cavill returned to a more manageable routine after the scenes were shot, but felt his effort was rewarded when audiences and critics alike praised his physique for the true embodiment of what Superman would look like. After he had shot his shirtless scenes, director Zack Snyder gave him a tub of ice cream and pizza to reward him for his Herculean effort for the shirtless scenes.

On 8/27/2020 at 7:56 AM, Hugh Neilson said:

Speaking of buses and Far from Home, it seems like Peter went through a great deal of effort to protect his own secret ID while preventing a busload full of kids from being hit by a missile he had (accidentally) targeted towards it.  Oh, and it was Tony Stark who designed the system that had no checks or balances to prevent someone, deliberately or accidentally, firing a missile at a bus full of kids, or even wiping out a major metropolis with all that firepower.

Yeah, Tony's the poster child for well-considered, perfectly planned and executed heroism.

21 hours ago, slikmar said:

Marvel's universe, in a lot of ways, was all about Tony realizing his mistakes and being forced to take responsibility for them. Not sure any character "grew up" more then Tony.

By the time we saw the bus attacked by a missile, and the ability of Tony's design to rain down enough fire to destroy London, Tony wasn't going to be realizing any mistakes, or growing up any more. 

Not sure if this has been talked about anywhere.

With the ATT purchase of Warner Media, a third of DC comics editorial staff has been fired.

The DC Universe staff has been fired as a whole, signalling that it's probably going to be shut down and folded into HBO Max.

DC Direct, the company’s in-house merchandise and collectibles manufacturer, has been closed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-comics-dc-universe-hit-by-major-layoffs-1306743?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

1 hour ago, archer said:

Not sure if this has been talked about anywhere.

With the ATT purchase of Warner Media, a third of DC comics editorial staff has been fired.

The DC Universe staff has been fired as a whole, signalling that it's probably going to be shut down and folded into HBO Max.

DC Direct, the company’s in-house merchandise and collectibles manufacturer, has been closed.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/dc-comics-dc-universe-hit-by-major-layoffs-1306743?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&__twitter_impression=true

AT&T has been very good recently at making decisions that hurt the companies that they acquire.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2020/08/att-reportedly-trying-to-sell-directv-after-massive-customer-losses/

• 2 weeks later...

Finally had a chance to watch the Snyder Justice League Preview. His preview suggests a team coming together, hope and the heroes being heroes (of course, along with Cyclops father being killed in an explosion). My first thought was, how many of us actually believe Snyder wanted to bring a movie about hope and heroes being heroes, etc. I think I might call shenanigans and that this wasn't actually the movie "He wanted to put out" but instead has put together a movie that he can say "see, my vision would have worked".

Oh yeah. From what I heard back in the day, his Justice League Part 1 was supposed to end on a cliffhanger with hostile black-clad Superman under the control of Darkseid. In theory the sequel would have been the one where the heroes found hope and triumphed and everything went from monochromatic to four color. Presumably including vivid red blood splattered over vast piles of rubble and corpses as collateral damage, because this is Snyder we're talking about.

8 hours ago, slikmar said:

Finally had a chance to watch the Snyder Justice League Preview. His preview suggests a team coming together, hope and the heroes being heroes (of course, along with Cyclops father being killed in an explosion). My first thought was, how many of us actually believe Snyder wanted to bring a movie about hope and heroes being heroes, etc. I think I might call shenanigans and that this wasn't actually the movie "He wanted to put out" but instead has put together a movie that he can say "see, my vision would have worked".

Thanks for taking the bullet for the rest of us. Personally I refuse to give that man another minute of viewing time. 

I've generally enjoyed most Snyder movies until Batman V Superman. I didn't like his take on Pa Kent but I let that pass. Even the stupid Man of Steel plot holes ( Why terraform the planet into a place where we have don't have godlike powers and a ready made slave population? Zod and his faction were all about the class system.) were passable because for the first time someone got just how stupid powerful Superman is right on film. He lost me with mass murderer Batman though.

Even if he's telling the truth about that planned two-part movie, I can't see how it wouldn't be all about the grim-dark until the last act of the second movie. Which may not have gotten made given the audience reaction to what we did get.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Starlord said:

The Suicide Squad is the next one right?

The existing SS movies set such low standards they skipped using a bar.

Unless TSS is astronomically better than previous versions, tying Peacemaker to the same team doesn't actually inspire confidence.

9 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

From the James Gunn panel at DC FanDome, I'm not sure if it's going to be vastly better than the first movie, but it's likely going to make the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise look like Merchant Ivory films. It might just achieve Farscape levels of craziness.

They just introduced WAY too many characters for it to be a serious movie.

Obviously they're planning on killing off most of the characters rather than trying to do an ensemble show with 18 main characters.

On the other hand, if they do manage to do an ensemble show with 18 main characters, that gives me hope for a (pre-5 year gap) Legion of Superheroes movie.

38 minutes ago, archer said:

Obviously they're planning on killing off most of the characters rather than trying to do an ensemble show with 18 main characters.

But this is what SS needs to be, maybe not killing them off, but it needs to be a Dirty Dozen/Seven Samurai type of movie. They are called that because they are going into impossible situations.

ON a lighter note, I suspect Peacemaker will survive.