DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I don't even want to waste time, or brain cells, on these things.  

Justice League isn't terrible.  I consider it on par with the worst Marvel films, and fun in some parts.  It could have been great but is deeply flawed.  What's frustrating and sad is that they could have avoided those flaws so easily, but they're exactly what DC seems to WANT in their movies.

Sometimes I wonder if DC isn't trying to "out-Marvel" Marvel by having its superheroes "down to earth" with "real life problems" the way the Fantastic Four and Spider-Man did when they first came out.  So DC stands out by doing what Marvel did to them, in the 60s.

Except Stan Lee understood what a hero was, what superheroes are supposed to do, and how to keep characters likable, fun, and interesting despite having flaws and difficulties.  Yes, the Thing and Human Torch used to fight, but they were good buddies who really cared about each other still.  Yes, Spider-Man had the worst luck but still when he strapped on that costume, he had a blast and was fun to read.  All that seems to have eluded DC entirely except for a fluke in Wonder Woman.

1 hour ago, pinecone said:

Ok here is the pitch...Zatana is like a super hero, or something, she wears fishnets and booty shorts! We can shoot a lots of scenes in Dutch perspective. The fans will Love this!

Kicking people when they're down :nonp:

I actually wrote in to comics back in the 90s congratulating the creators for returning Zatanna to her old costume and razzmatazz stage magic style. Admittedly, the medium and Stuart Immonen's art avoided her being objectified by the camera angle being at knee level a meter behind her most of the time. I dread that the way the DC movies do things she'll either be in some kind of BDSM fetish wear or she'll be covered in nothing but grease and shadows like The Enchantress was for the first half of Suicide Squad.

3 hours ago, Spence said:

Kicking people when they're down :nonp:

Only way to reach all the spots! Lol. Man I Should move to Hollywood, I would Crush!

48 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I actually wrote in to comics back in the 90s congratulating the creators for returning Zatanna to her old costume and razzmatazz stage magic style. Admittedly, the medium and Stuart Immonen's art avoided her being objectified by the camera angle being at knee level a meter behind her most of the time. I dread that the way the DC movies do things she'll either be in some kind of BDSM fetish wear or she'll be covered in nothing but grease and shadows like The Enchantress was for the first half of Suicide Squad.

Fishnets, Booty shorts, and a nice vest, you know Tasteful!

I dread that the way the DC movies do things she'll either be in some kind of BDSM fetish wear or she'll be covered in nothing but grease and shadows like The Enchantress was for the first half of Suicide Squad.

I see them going the other direction, putting her in some kind of leather X-men jumpsuit with pointless pockets and extra sections tacked on and hyper busy texturing so its not shiny.

Just now, Christopher R Taylor said:

I see them going the other direction, putting her in some kind of leather X-men jumpsuit with pointless pockets and extra sections tacked on and hyper busy texturing so its not shiny.

Fishnet jumpsuit with pointless pockets.  We can have it both ways!

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Yes, the Thing and Human Torch used to fight, but they were good buddies who really cared about each other still.

I actually feel that Evans and Chiklis pulled this off pretty well. But then, Chiklis was a fan of the Thing before the movie and wanted to play him and Evans seems to be very good at embracing whatever characters he plays. I know that move gets panned a lot, but really, its not for the portrayals of the 4, but for Doom since they cannot seem to get him right. I actually liked the 4.

The first FF movie attempt (after Roger Corman's at least) had its good spots.  Using costuming instead of CGI was a serious mistake for the Thing, and they felt really powered down, plus instead of being adventurers and challengers of the unknown sci fi types they were... I dunno, guys that sat around home and got into trouble, or something.  Reed didn't work at all, despite being one of my favorite actors (and good casting), but still the interactions were great and The Human Torch was amazingly well done by Evans.  Chiklis felt right as the Thing but didn't look right at all.  He has to be CGI, sadly.

And yeah Doom sucked.  Completely wrong, and not even interesting or likable.

I mean, after The Incredibles I get it, they couldn't really use the Mole Man even though he was the FF's first enemy and a classic, but Doom is something you bring in later once they are established.  Pacing in these films is so often wrong but I get it: they only have so much time before the actors age out of their roles.

17 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Except Stan Lee understood what a hero was, what superheroes are supposed to do, and how to keep characters likable, fun, and interesting despite having flaws and difficulties.

All that seems to have eluded DC entirely except for a fluke in Wonder Woman.

BAM!

6 hours ago, BigJackBrass said:

That's an appealing bit of casting.

It might be if you're fan of fidelity to the comics. But it might also meet with a bit of controversy given the current social climate. The character is a white European dude who is given Middle Eastern magic artifacts and trained by a Middle Eastern god in the ways of Middle Eastern sorcery. Or some variation thereof, where the one constant is a white European dude wielding powers belonging to Middle Eastern culture.