DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Snyder has a lot in common with the Image guys when they first started out their company (most of them, at least; Larson seemed to understand storytelling).  Macfarlane, Lee, Liefeld, etc all thought art was supreme and the best way to make a comic book was with as many big splash page badass images as possible and story was just an excuse to put the art on the page.

Well, like that Explain This Comics Guys podcast pointed out, their artwork was selling for insane numbers at a Christie's auction about the time Image was formed, it was trendy at the time to collect the art because the market was hot for collectible comics.  I doubt Liefeld can get a bent quarter for what he does these days.

Early on, the Image guys were mostly doing traditional comics at Marvel and broke out on their own to keep all the money they were making for others.

It's hard to remember now, but back in the day what Liefield was doing on Spiderman and X-Men was so different than what everyone had been doing before that it was really exciting to 14 year olds in the early 90s.  I was never a huge fan, but *so* many of by buddies were.  I knew one Spider-phile who at the time *loved* Spiderman under Liefield. He loved that the super humanly agile character was much more of a contortionist & many fans felt his yards and yards of webbing everywhere made comics before Liefield got on board seem pretty staid visually.  I had to admit that it made sense to give Supermodel Mary Jane Watson a non 70s haircut.

They were part of the big 90s comic bubble, and I don't think it's unfair to say the "fresh look" of the art combined with improved printing made the comics of the time feel like they were something different than what came before.  After the Image guys formed their own company for a while they just got *bigger*.

Personally, I think it was a classic example of fooling all the people some of the time.  They were kings of the world until Image started missing deadlines more than it hit them and people started to notice that so much of what was happening in the new comics was just art with no story.  Turns out just making splash pages with baddass assassin heroes only works for so long.  Eventually you need a plot.

8 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

The company name certainly turned out to be prophetic in the case of Image.

Savage Dragon and Shadowhawk were good. But Image also seemed to lean into the Collectible Issue thing a bit too hard. I suppose they were kind of trendsetters that way. 

12 hours ago, Jhamin said:

He loved that the super humanly agile character was much more of a contortionist & many fans felt his yards and yards of webbing everywhere made comics before Liefield got on board seem pretty staid visually.

I think you may be confusing Rob Liefeld with Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee. Liefeld was responsible for revamping New Mutants, not the X-Men, and it was McFarlane who created the new Spider-Man design that breathed new life into the title and made him a comic book artist rock star.

4 minutes ago, zslane said:

I think you may be confusing Rob Liefeld with Todd McFarlane and Jim Lee. Liefeld was responsible for revamping New Mutants, not the X-Men, and it was McFarlane who created the new Spider-Man design that breathed new life into the title and made him a comic book artist rock star.

You are of course correct.  It was late, I was distracted & not thinking clearly..

However I stand by my larger point.  A bunch of new blood was doing a lot of exciting work & decided to go found their own comic company instead of being cogs in the Marvel or DC machines.  They succeeded for a while.  Until they didn't.

And as much as I hated the comics zeitgeist of the 90s with it's dark, violent heroes who all seemed to be government hit men for some reason... a lot of people loved it.  Things needed to move on from where they had been and these guys helped to do that.  Its easy to forget how much they as a group moved the ball.

12 hours ago, Jhamin said:

Turns out just making splash pages with baddass assassin heroes only works for so long.  Eventually you need a plot.

One of the reasons I stopped reading comics in the early 90s.

Not only the lack of story, but if someone did accidentally inject a plot it would be overshadowed by the grim blood splat.  Even the "heroes" were heroes in name only as they killed maimed and destroyed with the best of them. 

Every once in awhile I'll take a look at comics and maybe one day I'll see a super-powered HERO again...

• 3 weeks later...

Finally getting around to catching up on my tv shows, so starting Superman and Lois. Do they address the fact this is like 14+ YEARs after the previous Supergirl season? The 2 children, that they went to Argo to have so that Clark could be normal during it, and therefore the kids, were born during one of the last 2 seasons and now they are teenagers?

18 hours ago, slikmar said:

Finally getting around to catching up on my tv shows, so starting Superman and Lois. Do they address the fact this is like 14+ YEARs after the previous Supergirl season? The 2 children, that they went to Argo to have so that Clark could be normal during it, and therefore the kids, were born during one of the last 2 seasons and now they are teenagers?

16 hours ago, dmjalund said:

Their family was 'reorganised' after Crisis. Moving the act of starting a family 14+ years in the past

To the best of my knowledge, there's been no in-universe explanation. And there was no explanation on the CW's preview show which interviewed the actors, showrunners, etc.

The showrunners could very well have given interviews to the press which gave an explanation. I tend not to hear those kinds of interviews.

9 hours ago, Bazza said:

Happy birthday Henry Cavill, and he finds out he is no longer Superman. 

Apparently, they're going to make a black Superman movie and are on the search for a star. They're looking for a real . . .

Icon.

I mean . . . do the DC movie people even read comics? This is supposed to be an alternate reality / Elseworlds thing set in its own continuity, but they have other fully fleshed out black characters on tap, too. Who could exist in the same continuity (such as it is) as their other properties. It's like they're putting zero effort in.

Alternate universes are fun diversions;  sometimes they're compelling in their own right.  

But it's not the paradigm for good storytelling because, when "it's all just one possibility of many" is the paradigm, then nothing matters.  Nor can we grow attached to the characters, because, well, they won't change either.

The MCU worked because we *cared* about the characters.  Actions had consequences.  People grew, and changed.  Sometimes we disliked the changes (Hulk, wastrel Thor) but hey, the story was there to do that in.  

DC's messed this up *constantly* and if they're gonna do a scattershot multiversal paradigm, they're only repeating the same mistakes.

This is supposed to be an alternate reality / Elseworlds thing set in its own continuity, but they have other fully fleshed out black characters on tap, too. Who could exist in the same continuity (such as it is) as their other properties.

Yeah I mean really? Like DC has no kickass interesting black heroes to choose from already?  Just a disaster in waiting.  I mean they have a meh Black Lightning TV show, so maybe not him but Black Racer, John Stewart, Bronze Tiger, Steel, Vixen, Cyborg, etc.