DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

5 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

Oh good lord. Can you imagine if they were “faithful to the source material”? 

😂

I’ll be stunned if it’s recognizable.

:rofl:

I can just see it.  A dogfight in the the skies over Europe in 1943. 

F-22 Raptors engaging Fokker D VII's over France as B-52's struggle to reach their targets through the teeth of flak and SAM's. 

Of course anyone that criticizes it or is puzzled by none of the aircraft being from the actual time period will be branded a hater and the show will automatically be called a "satire". 

Since that fixes everything.

23 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I haven't seen it but the Shazam movie was supposed to be pretty decent.  I was very unimpressed with Aquaman, it was colorful but terrible writing and had an extremely slow start.

Shazam! was mediocre at best, in my view. It tried too hard to be an homage to Big, and while that worked for lots of people, it didn't work for me. The movie suffered from tonal whiplash to a degree, and the supersuit was awful.

As for Aquaman, I agree with you. It was colorful, but the underwater action scenes made no sense whatsoever and were a complete cinematographic mess more often than not. Moreover, I don't care for this take on the character, which isn't Jason Momoa's fault; he does a great job doing what he is asked to do. I just think this particular Aquaman characterization is rather misguided, and almost a little embarrassing to watch sometimes.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Shazam! was mediocre at best, in my view. It tried too hard to be an homage to Big, and while that worked for lots of people, it didn't work for me. The movie suffered from tonal whiplash to a degree, and the supersuit was awful.

As for Aquaman, I agree with you. It was colorful, but the underwater action scenes made no sense whatsoever and were a complete cinematographic mess more often than not. Moreover, I don't care for this take on the character, which isn't Jason Momoa's fault; he does a great job doing what he is asked to do. I just think this particular Aquaman characterization is rather misguided, and almost a little embarrassing to watch sometimes.

Meh...

Shazam was never a favorite of mine, but it was at least a fun watch and portrayed the character without a rant about whatever.

For me the Aquaman portrayal was actually a step up from the orange suit guy that talks to fish.  It took a b-list......no d-list.......ummm..."not even a letter"-list character and at least made something that was not cringe-worthy.    But then aquaman was always filler anyway :sneaky:

On 7/2/2021 at 3:51 PM, Iuz the Evil said:

Oh good lord. Can you imagine if they were “faithful to the source material”? 

😂

I’ll be stunned if it’s recognizable.

The only "plus" is that it is supposed to be a cast of all nations, so other than some possible "gender swaps" it should be "OK". Also they hate, and fight Nazis! So "on brand!"

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoyed Aquaman quite a bit. It wasn't deep (no pun intended), it wasn't great cinema, but it was exciting and fun. The characters were meant to be larger-than-life, not realistic, so I didn't judge them that way. The plot was an excuse to bring on the action, but that didn't make it bad, it just meant that it did what was intended.

Aquaman was a success because for once they took one of the best story arcs from the comics and ported it pretty much straight into a screenplay.

It had humor but took itself seriously(toilet scene withstanding) and the cast did a great job without anyone being over the top. It also had arguably the best villains of any superhero movie especially in their motivations. Manta and Orm both have real reasons to oppose Arthur other than evil for evil's sake. And they both survived so there's good sequel potential.

Aquaman had entertaining moments, but was mostly a mess from a filmmaking perspective. I'm not inclined to give it a pass, as other are so willing to, just because it was colorful and kept my retinas stimulated. As for characterization, well I just could never get on board with Snyder's vision for Aquaman, Superman, or the Flash. The only DCEU characters who favorably impressed me were Wonder Woman and Cyborg, though I would have liked to see a Cyborg that wasn't just a walking dark cloud of brooding angst most of the time.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, that slots so effortlessly into Snyder's aesthetic that it becomes difficult for me to discern who's creative vision I'm experiencing. I never read Teen Titans, so to me it just feels like Snyder's deconstructionist agenda is dragging most of the characters down, including Cyborg. The main thing that saved Cyborg for me was Ray Fisher's palpable charisma.