DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

10 hours ago, Dr. MID-Nite said:

Cool trailer, but can a decent movie be made with such an obvious villain as the focus of the story? I mean he flat out kills a guy just for being near him. And....Shazam really needs to be in this.

Hey, Disney made a movie featuring Cruella De Vil. How in the world do you make a chain smoking puppy murderer the protagonist?

I haven't seen a really good DC movie since Wonder Woman. The new Batman movie will do very well financially, that much I am sure, but I remain unconvinced that it will turn out to be a good movie on par with Wonder Woman. And by "good" I mean good story, good pacing, consistent tone, characters that make sense and have an arc, etc. The visuals look pretty amazing, but Zack Snyder has demonstrated repeatedly that stunning visuals alone do not make for a good movie.

7 hours ago, Pariah said:

How in the world do you make a chain smoking puppy murderer the protagonist?

Turning the evil villains into "misunderstood quasi-Heroes" has been an ongoing theme of both Hollywood as well as US comics for years so this isn't a stretch. 

They make a "Good HEROES" movie and do block busters, then they do a sequel that is still "Good HEROES" and the trend continues.

They do "not heroes" and the first movie does fantastic because it was a "Superhero Movie", but the sequel under performs and things slide after that.

The overall effect is obvious to real people but seems to escape the twit/social media 'verse.

People flock to entertaining movies with HEROES that are on the side of doing good.

While the audience will enjoy a monster/bad guy movie that portrays a bad guy as bad and will be ultimately defeated.  But they tend to avoid sermonizing movies or movies that glorify evil as good.  Or arrogance as virtue. 

Like when they falsely compare Captain Marvel to Top Gun. 

In Top Gun Cruise played an a$$ that literally everyone except his backseater hated.  The movie portrayed (that portrayal being good or bad depending on the viewer) the journey of pilot from arrogant idiot to humbled self-aware professional.  What some would call the Heroes Journey with the lessons painfully beaten into him including being the reason his arguably only real friend died due to his arrogance.   

Captain Marvel has none of than, she is simply perfect at all times.  Captain Marvel was just a arrogant a$$ that discovered they were overpowered and became an overpowered arrogant a$$.  Nothing in her personality or actions changed from start to finish.  I guess the only difference in personality and behavior after breaking free from their control was who she decided to target as "bad guys".  Every time she appears in any show it is as a arrogant and self important B.  Not even trying to use basic courtesies because all should kowtow to perfection.  Such a great character destroyed by poor writers and political agenda.

1 hour ago, Greywind said:

DC can trip over themselves all they want renaming the character since they can't name a book after him. He's still Capt. Marvel.

The creator of the character originally wanted to name him, "Captain Thunder," but the editors thought that would be too frightening for children. If DC insist on changing the name that a character has had for seven decades, that would have been a far more appropriate one than a name the character can't even say to anyone.

3 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The creator of the character originally wanted to name him, "Captain Thunder," but the editors thought that would be too frightening for children. If DC insist on changing the name that a character has had for seven decades, that would have been a far more appropriate one than a name the character can't even say to anyone.

Capt. Marvel jr had that problem all along :D He got his from saying "Captain Marvel".

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, we know that Michael Keaton's Batman is training his replacement, Batgirl, in Flashpoint; sort of a riff on Batman Beyond. And we also know that a Latino Supergirl has been cast, though I'm not sure where she is supposed to first appear. After all, we're not going to see Cavill or Affleck in their roles ever again, so they have to fill the "Supes" and "Bats" roles with other actors in any event. Mat Reeve's Batman isn't part of any cinematic universe, and Gadot's Wonder Woman is on the verge of irrelevance. That leaves Aquaman and the Flash barely holding what remains of the so-called DCEU together, so I'm not even sure there is a cinematic universe left to decanonize.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched this, it is not Great, but it has promise. If they can suicide squad it a little more then it might go someplace. They are getting to use "off brand" chars like Vigillante, and Judo Master, so I find hope in that. I hope the story links up with Blue Beetle somewhere though.....

I have resigned myself to realizing nobody is going to do the Suicide Squad right because they think they need the BIG SUPER MASSIVE EPIC story instead of a tight thriller like Dirty Dozen of bad guys forced to work together.  Sooner or later its going to dawn on Hollywood that you can do any story in a Superhero setting, that its not genre, its more like set dressing or time period.

45 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

they think they need the BIG SUPER MASSIVE EPIC story instead of a tight thriller like Dirty Dozen

That has been the problem with all the lines.  Even the MCU from the beginning. 

Yes, the MCU in the first few phases was awesome, but they still painted themselves into a corner.

In the headlong rush for the epic universe save they skipped right by years of fantastic stories. 

TV series or movies, Hollywood thinks every show has to be a EPIC!   Instead of entertaining. 

But they don't seem to realize that they always leave themselves with nowhere to go.

1 hour ago, Spence said:

In the headlong rush for the epic universe save they skipped right by years of fantastic stories. 

TV series or movies, Hollywood thinks every show has to be a EPIC!   Instead of entertaining. 

But they don't seem to realize that they always leave themselves with nowhere to go.

this started before Disney+. Superhero movies in the cinema kind of have to be epic. Some people don;t go to the cinema for anything less. Disney+ (and before them Netflix) had superhero movies that were more down to earth. This is where we will find the more low-key superhero stories (like Hawkeye)