DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

It was a pretty lame lineup but he's trying to make something good out of a crap sandwich they sunk a lot of money into.  Maybe some of it won't suck, but right now his job is to be out front promoting while working on better material -- hopefully.  This guy explains it better than I am, and I think he's right.  Remember it takes years to get a product out on the screen, and Gunn has only been there a couple months.  I've seen zero that indicates DC has gotten it yet, putting Gunn in charge for example shows they aren't quite comprehending things, but we'll see.

But I do love the idea of a Booster Gold film, if they do it right.

8 hours ago, Bazza said:

(PG don’t watch 😛)

The reason no one has the same actors do animation as their feature films is that feature film actors get paid many multiples of the amount of money that voice actors make. There's no way I can see that a cash-poor company is going to be able to make that happen.

I'm a big fan of continuity when it comes to stories.

But frankly, I don't care whether Thor is voiced by Chris Hemsworth or Travis Willingham or whether Dr. Strange is voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch or Liam O'Brien. The skills of an actor and a voice actor overlap to some extent. But trying to cram every actor into an unfamiliar box looks to me to be a losing proposition to the point that Marvel didn't even try. So even if DC can come up with the money for equal pay, I'm skeptical that it could be an easy transformation to their way of doing business.

Next, how the hell is HBO going to do a scripted Green Lantern show when HBO has fired that vast majority of their writing staff and has publicly committed to doing unscripted programming, rather than scripted, because they're bleeding money? Ditto for Booster Gold (who I'd love to see in a series).

I love the Green Lantern Corps, so would be delighted/excited in most cases but yes, I do worry about who the WRITING Staff will be. Still Hal and John as Space buddy cops? I'm for that!

Booster Gold has me happy period. Fond of him, and I think the 'glory hound grows up' angles are fun.

Viola Davis is an amazing actress, give her even a half  decent script and she'll knock Waller out of the park. Only problem for me? I'm not that big into the character.

Blue Beetle is another favorite. I prefer Ted, but Jaime was a worthy successor and a great kid. Can they capture the fun of Jaime's first comic run? BIG question. Hopeful but cautious.

I think unless I hear great things, I'd pass on the Authority. I'm tired of 'everything's slap stick Thor' Marvel pulls sometimes but I'm also not a fan of 'darker edgier heroes aka the 90s are back'

I do not, nor plan to have, HBO Max or whatever it is, so hoping there will be another way to watch.

The Authority just sound like the Watchmen  or The Boys to me. I liked the original Watchmen comic as a one time thing and have heard the series is good but have no desire to watch it. I have no faith that the DCU people could pull it off.

I look forward to Creature Commandos, though if the one on the right is the werewolf, don't like the art style.

Booster Gold could be fun, depending on what they do.

I liked Jaime as blue beetle, would be even better if they do an older Ted as his mentor.

Despise the character of Waller, for the most part, so again, no desire to see.

8 hours ago, archer said:

Next, how the hell is HBO going to do a scripted Green Lantern show when HBO has fired that vast majority of their writing staff and has publicly committed to doing unscripted programming, rather than scripted, because they're bleeding money? Ditto for Booster Gold (who I'd love to see in a series).

Yeah I was wondering that myself, Zaslav just got through terminating all animation and DC shows with extreme prejudice, now the DCEU is going to launch with... an animated series followed by a number of scripted high-production-value TV shows?  I give this 10-year plan about two years before the suits trash it and start over (again).

Otherwise it sounds like a decent plan aside from the strange reliance on non-tentpole DC characters.

I liked Jaime as blue beetle, would be even better if they do an older Ted as his mentor.

Despise the character of Waller, for the most part, so again, no desire to see.

I agree. Heck doing Ted as Blue Beetle, then passing on the torch to Jamie would be even cooler, so you get both and establish the mentor relationship.  Plus that could set up the fun with Blue Beetle and Booster Gold that the comics established.

And Waller, in the comics was distasteful and mean spirited, but in the movies is a murdering psychopathic monster.  She's literally the bad guy that nobody pays attention to.

3 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

And Waller, in the comics was distasteful and mean spirited, but in the movies is a murdering psychopathic monster.  She's literally the bad guy that nobody pays attention to.

As someone else pointed out, Waller was an answer to Fury, especially after Jackson started playing him, but being DC, they couldn't JUST do a spymaster, but instead a sadistic one with a "blind loyalty" to the USA. Fury is at least supposed to be an international peace keeper. It's sad, because the idea of the Suicide Squad is great and was originally done right in the comics and led, I believe, to the Thunderbolts in Marvel which also was done well. Deni's take on Waller wasn't bad and her interactions with Bruce were great - "Mine are bigger". I actually like the idea of a squad of villains (plausible deniability) for covert operations to remove other countries ability to use supers, but Waller, especially movie Waller, is to over the top. I was surprised the post credits scene from SQ2 showed the 2 "agents" only having been demoted and not outright executed or imprisoned for treason for striking her. A big part of the problem was the first SQ movie, with her basically shooting all her support staff in cold blood setting the tone for the character.

7 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Seems like an eclectic mish-mash for someone looking to create a cohesive universe.

I saw a YouTube video that said the Rock tweeted that he's out of the DCU.  After having suffered through Black Adam, no big loss IMO.

Hey! Black Adam would have been a great movie if they hadn't left the original script in the bathroom during a shower so all the Post-It Notes reading, "Write better dialogue here," fell out. 

I mean, you'd think the industry would have learned after Ghost in the Shell, but whatever.

Space Ghost started the wave of Hannah-Barbera 1960s superhero cartoon shows, and was one of the coolest of them; but that article was obviously written by a Space Ghost fanboy. There really isn't anything that makes him fundamentally superior to any other DC character, quite a few of whom would mop the floor with all but the mightiest Marvel heroes. Also, the take on SG which that writer lauds is another "dark" hero, and I don't think I'm the only viewer who's rather burned out on that from DC/Warner.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Space Ghost really was quite powerful and I like his look, but I don't know if people raised on Space Ghost Coast to Coast can really handle him taken seriously

I haven't followed televised cartoon channels in quite a while, so I couldn't say what the current audience's exposure is to the Coast to Coast version of the character, versus the original and/or his 1980's reboot.

EDIT: FWIW I've long thought that if I were to reboot the Space Ghost series, I would start with the Ghost having mysteriously disappeared, and Jan and Jace inheriting his power bands, each of them wearing one. The first story arc would be the twins following clues to what happened to Space Ghost, in the process uncovering more of his past and origin.

I would also declare that Blip in the original series was a baby of his species, and as an adult he's the size of a gorilla.

What the actual Hell?! 

Spoiler

Mon-El is a racial supremacist? Seriously? Who thought this was a good idea?

I have so few things left that I can watch and enjoy these days. Is it too much to ask that the various powers that be in the entertainment industry not utterly ruin them? 

Apparently so. Save yourself from the Legion of Superheroes (2023). 

13 hours ago, Iuz the Evil said:

What the actual Hell?! 

Hide contents

Mon-El is a racial supremacist? Seriously? Who thought this was a good idea?

I have so few things left that I can watch and enjoy these days. Is it too much to ask that the various powers that be in the entertainment industry not utterly ruin them? 

Apparently so. Save yourself from the Legion of Superheroes (2023). 

Someone liked Invincible too much and thought using Mon-El would be perfect in that role.

• 1 month later...