DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

You're in the right thread for that complaint, but I feel compelled to point out that thanks to the MCU big-budget superhero tentpole films have dominated the box office for a decade, and decent DC and Marvel TV series have followed. Superheroes are so mainstream that thousands of adults dress up as them and have conventions. For aeons all we had was the Burton Batman movies. I'm not going to complain too much if Hawkeye has no mask or Cap has no headwings.

I do still have a problem with Batman branding people though. Jesus.

Interesting observations. I haven't seen Batman crack an actual joke yet in any of these trailers. At most he acts nonplussed at some of the irreverent things his comrades say, which I would call a good match for the character, lightening him without fundamentally changing him.

As to Jason Momoa as Aquaman, and Ezra Miller as Flash, what I hear from people I talk to and read/view online is that they're two of the things the majority of people find most interesting and exciting about this movie. They're fresh takes on characters who haven't really stood out personality-wise in the past. Aquaman has been treated as pathetic by the wider non-comic-reading public for a long time, while movie Flash needs to be his own character distinct from TV Flash.

FWIW I think anyone who doesn't like them has every right not to. That in itself doesn't make them a mistake on the part of DC and Warner Bros. in broader context.

I was just kidding around. My humor isn't always funny. Anyway, do you have a link to the article?

No worries, that's what I figured, and I thought it was funny, but you know what they say about assuming. :snicker:

And it's actually a video interview with the director and cast of Prof. Marston and the Wonder Women, pretty interesting IMO: https://youtu.be/OX4MYwy-Q44

I do still have a problem with Batman branding people though. Jesus.

That's pretty much what I'm referring to.

Costume changes aren't quite what I'm referring to, as that is an aesthetic choice that indicates a different kind of creatively limited vision. No, it is the brooding Superman indifferent to civilian casualties that I refer to. It is the Miller-esque Batman who brands people and behaves as viciously as the villains that I refer to. It is a Lex Luthor characterization that has more in common with the Joker than any Lex I know (from the comics) that I refer to.

Outside of superheroes, there are the Abrams Star Trek movies, which I feel are also horrible offenders in this area. The RDJ version of Sherlock Holmes is a good example, as is virtually every version of the Three Musketeers to come out since the Richard Lester films of the mid-70s. I mean, there are countless examples where iconic characters are altered to the point of unrecognizability, aside from their names, and foisted upon us as a "fresh take".

You're going to hate me, but I like fresh takes. I'm tired of Trek. I'm kind of tired of Batman. I'm even getting tired of Spider-Man, who is my favorite superhero ever. There are limits, of course, like branding, but I think it's unrealistic for characters to not evolve and expect audiences to keep following. In fact I think characters must evolve if they are to stay interesting and relevant.

There is "evolving" (which is an organic process that follows naturally from what has come before), and then there is completely re-imagining. I just feel that if you are going to substantially re-imagine a character, just make it a new character and let it have a life of its own in the marketplace and in pop culture. Don't appropriate an existing, iconic character just to cash in on name recognition. Especially since the only thing anyone will recognize is the name anyway.

If you've created a new character, give it a new name. It's as simple as that.

I haven't seen Batman crack an actual joke yet in any of these trailers.

Stole my comment.  :)

Also, if you asked me to find a difference between the personality of Barry Allen, Hal Jordan or Arthur Curry from the comics I'd be hard-pressed to do so, frankly.  Honestly, up until the early 70's i'd find it hard to distinguish between the personalities of ANY DC superhero...and I'd still have trouble with alot of them up to the early 2000's when I stopped reading comics.

He does a lot more quipping than in other films:

Flash: What's your superpower?

Batman: I'm rich.

Aquaman: You dress up like a bat.

Batman: You brought a pitchfork.

Cyborg: You're real?

Batman: I'm as real as I need to be.

I'm pretty sure I miquoted most of those, but I'm not going to go watch the trailers again right now.

I wouldn't call him a jokester, but he does exhibit a kind of sarcastic sense of humor, which is a nice departure from growling out threats all the time.

It could be just how its edited, but he keeps having the punchline in the trailers, which sounds more like Affleck's influence than a character decision.

Yeah, they're definitely loading the trailers with the punchlines, trying to make their crapsack world seem more Avengery no doubt. Even if the four or five lines we've seen are his only humorous dialog in the movie, that's still an improvement for big screen Bats.

Yeah, they're definitely loading the trailers with the punchlines, trying to make their crapsack world seem more Avengery no doubt. Even if the four or five lines we've seen are his only humorous dialog in the movie, that's still an improvement for big screen Bats.

Yes, but will he still brand criminals? Or will he have moved on to more extreme forms of body modification, like face tattoos or those gross earlobe stretching things?

I'm really only looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman on screen again. I know she's not the star of the show, but for me the rest of the Justice League members are just supporting roles.

Same here.

And who would have thought a year ago that anyone would be saying that today? The game really has changed.

I wonder if fans will get the distinction between Thanos and Darkseid/aliens and parademons.  Seems awfully derivative.  I mean, granted, the Avengers story was kind of derivative of Justice League: War, but it came out first as a film.  Its a cool story but I'm not sure its the best one to use for their intro

I wonder if fans will get the distinction between Thanos and Darkseid/aliens and parademons.  Seems awfully derivative.  I mean, granted, the Avengers story was kind of derivative of Justice League: War, but it came out first as a film.  Its a cool story but I'm not sure its the best one to use for their intro

Hey, even Thanos creator Jim Starlin acknowledges he ripped off Darkseid. They each fill similar niches in their respective universes, so parallels are almost inevitable. For that matter, whenever comics go the "world-threatening alien megavillain" route, it's always a variation of either "invading horde" or "planet eater."

However, Thanos was behind the scenes of the Avengers movie until the final reveal. That film combined two team origin stories from the comics, Loki who brought together the original Avengers, with the Chitauri who were the impetus for forming the Ultimates in that series. We'll have to see if this Justice League story can distinguish itself sufficiently from the Avengers.

(BTW didn't Justice League: War come out after the first Avengers movie?)

I'm really only looking forward to seeing Wonder Woman on screen again. I know she's not the star of the show, but for me the rest of the Justice League members are just supporting roles.

I'm the opposite. I thought both Bats and Supes were cast well, but WW was miscast. And having see WW twice, at the cinema and on Blue Ray, the best bit for me was the second act -- her advance through no man's land and the village fight. 

The Avengers, Release date: May 4, 2012 (USA)

Justice League: War, Initial release: February 4, 2014

Yes, but Justice League:  War was an almost exact translation of the JL comics reboot by Johns and Lee which came out in 2011.  They essentially used the comic story as a storyboard - same lines and images from comic to animation but swapping out Aquaman for Captain Marvel.

The invasion in Avengers reminded me of the alien invasion in Wild Cards, where the aliens dropped in giant monsters first to soften Earth up. Total ripoff.

Or maybe alien invasion stories are pretty common comic book/ superhero fodder. Yeah, I'm going to go with that.

You would be right. ;)

Yes, but Justice League:  War was an almost exact translation of the JL comics reboot by Johns and Lee which came out in 2011.  They essentially used the comic story as a storyboard - same lines and images from comic to animation but swapping out Aquaman for Captain Marvel.

And Darkseid invaded Earth at the conclusion of the Justice League Unlimited animated series in 2006. For that matter, the first Justice League animated series concluded in 2004 with an invasion by the Thanagarians. And started in 2002 with an invasion by White Martians (their version of them, anyway). While the original Chitauri invaded in the Ultimates comic series in 2002. Over at DC, Brainiac took over Warworld and used it to attack Earth in the Panic in the Sky storyline in Superman's comics from the early 1990s. Then we have the alliance of DC alien races which invaded Earth during the Invasion! crossover mini-series of 1988-89. And back to Marvel for the invasion by the Dire Wraiths in the Rom Spaceknight series (with Avengers/X-Men crossovers) in the early 1980s...

You see where I'm going here.