DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Loki has been the best superhero movie villain so far, they tried to make Magneto work but his actions are so irrational and contradictory its hard to really appreciate him as a character.  Chris Claremont did such a good job making him an interesting, deep, and complex character but the XMen movies don't seem to have grasped any of that but a cliff notes version.  And dr doom, one of the best villains in comics... don't even get me started.

The Joker was well done in the Burton Batman film, and while the second incarnation of the Joker was really compelling and interesting, as a villain he didn't make a lot of sense.  He was just a force of random and pointless destruction and chaos rather than a joker.  And his ability to apparently teleport explosives wherever desired was difficult to buy into.

I think it shows an insane amount of optimism to have  a second rate villain in their first Justice League movie.  What, are they saving Darkseid for the sequel?

This is just what happened with Suicide Squad and having the Enchantress as their villain (Okay, one of the problems.)

I thought I heard that they were originally going to use Darkseid, but when they decided that Justice League would be an Avengers-like sub-franchise within the DCEU, they decided to build up to Darkseid over the course of multiple movies, which necessitated shifting to a lower-grade villain for the initial film in the series. Hence Steppenwolf.

It remains to be seen if this strategy will pay off. I mean, nobody particularly liked Suicide Squad but it did well enough financially to justify another movie, and so even if Justice League fails to get glowing reviews, it will undoubtedly do well enough at the box office to greenlight the sequel where we will most likely see Darkseid.

23 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

Sometimes B-list villains are the best kind. You can redefine them as you need, and few comics fans will protest. If you do it well.  *cough*Mandarin*cough*

To even speak of that Iron Man movie Mandarin *cough* is being too generous. They need to pretend that movie was never directed, or put a smurf in it's place - and it'd probably work better.

I think they'll make money but I wonder if they'll make as much as they need to for the franchise to really take off?  I mean they obviously have spinoff/solo film plans for everybody, and if Justice League disappoints (say, triple their investment) that might not be viable as a plan.  I hope they make a mint, then make an even better movie next time.  Avengers made tons and then put out a pretty disappointing sequel

If they can make some with a more optimistic it helps, like Wonder Woman I would be happy.

All the brooding stuff just gets annoying after so many movies. 

We get it, you like the Frank Miller dark and brooding. But that is not the comics that lasted 100 years and still captures some of our hearts.

Wonder Woman on the other hand had a hero being a hero because she wanted to make the world better.

Yeh dark heroes are nice now and then, but after 6 movies we get the point.

Well obviously you need a mix.  Batman is supposed to be a detective type, grim and gritty.  Superman should be noble and uplifting and heroic.  Flash can be whatever they want, which apparently is a dumb spaz kid.  Its just got to be a mix instead of everyone the same way because Batman made a lot of money.

I think they are running into a couple problems with their main villain.

1st choice - Darkseid - drat, all the non - fans will just say why are you copying Thanos.

2nd choice - Braniac - everyone knows him as superman's villain, but he is easily upscalable but then it might look like copying Ultron.

ok, so, lets think of 3rd choice - maybe setup for Darkseid - who is his general - oh yeah, that guy Steppenwolfe - we will use him.

Independent of Justice League they have the following movies in development/production: Aquaman, Wonder Woman 2, Flash, Shazam, and Suicide Squad 2. None of these are particularly dependent on the success of JL, and they will give WB/DC plenty to put out against Disney/Marvel for the next few years even if JL2 never gets off the ground. I doubt they want to look out any further than that anyway, especially given how horrible they are at this. Also, they have yet to figure out who will be Batman going forward, a slightly sticky situation that puts anything resembling a "DCEU Phase 2" into question right now.

I care little for Steppenwolf's pre-movie popularity compared to how well it is written and portrayed in the film.  It's not as though I was familiar with Hans Gruber before Die Hard came out.

In some respects it might be better that they went with a B-lister for this one; after Lex and Doomsday I feel like DC movies need some practice before attempting Darkseid.

17 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Most of the reviewers' social media comments I've been reading are of the "flawed, but good" variety. There's quite a bit of commonality to them, actually. Strengths: fine visuals, good action sequences, great characterizations and chemistry among the Leaguers, drama well balanced with humor, an overall fun experience. Weaknesses: story is unoriginal, plotline is rather incoherent, main villain is underwhelming.

Well, I guess those are weakness that I can live with.  I mean, I prefer my plots coherent, but I have noticed that comic book movies that I have had no problem following the plots have often been called incoherent.  I think it is because comic book story lines tend to have a lot of moving parts and fantastic elements, and I think that makes it hard for people not use to them to follow everything.

9 hours ago, Cassandra said:

I looked it up and the villain is Steppenwolf.

God I hope it's the band.

Doh!  Why would they use Steppenwolf when they could use Darkseid unstead!?!  :nonp:

Still, slightly relieved that the underwelming villain wasn't Darkseid.  If you have Darkseid as your villain and he is not intimidating as all get out, then story telling just clearly is not your thing. 

10 hours ago, Old Man said:

I care little for Steppenwolf's pre-movie popularity compared to how well it is written and portrayed in the film.  It's not as though I was familiar with Hans Gruber before Die Hard came out.

In some respects it might be better that they went with a B-lister for this one; after Lex and Doomsday I feel like DC movies need some practice before attempting Darkseid.

Well, for my part, my (somewhat tongue-in-cheek) disgust about Steppenwolf is based on the fact that, out of hundreds of cool B-list villains, you chose a D-List villain with a ridiculously silly name that will either be laughed at by the general public or just confuse them.  "Steppenwolf?  Like the band?  Wait, what?"

So, for the next Spidey movie we're thinking of The Ringer and Paste Pot Pete for the main villains!

No.

But, they're going to be written really, really well!!

NO!

On 13/11/2017 at 5:32 PM, Starlord said:

None of the women from that article look like they're on steroids to me.  They all look like crossfit trainers to me.  The girls at my gym that do crossfit certainly aren't juicing, they're just in really good shape.  Good muscle tone, less than 5% body fat, just like Serena Williams and some other tennis players I've seen as well.

Little quibble here but it's unlikely any woman in your gym is at 5% or less (at least not if Serena Williams is the benchmark for 5%).  Or men - it is *incredibly* difficult to get to and maintain healthily (since it's close to the magic 3% number).

The women in those new costume photos, for example, are closer to 12%.  Which is as a percent or two lower than I was ever able to get 'naturally' (I was power-lifting, not bodybuilding, so it wasn't my main goal - dropping fat is just the easiest way to inflate your lift to body weight ego/boasting metric)

On the costumes themselves - yeah, Mad Max / Xena all the way. It doesn't look blockbuster - it looks 90s TV,