DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

And adding to the "I thought.." parade ;) , I thought Batman Begins was the most entertaining and enjoyable movie of the three. It was a fine origin story, and in its style was the most "comic-book" IMHO, which is what I like in a superhero movie. But it's still far down the list among my favorite comic-book movies.

On 4/11/2018 at 10:22 AM, Watchman Mk. IV said:

No pitchforks, maybe a Batarang or two... :)

I thought it was great.  It cleaved closer to the comics and was a wide departure from previous portrayals.

? Puzzling.  I know that it has been a long time since I read comics.  I started loosing interest in the early 90's when they seemed (to me) to change their emphasis away from superhero adventure.  Since then I have only occasionally picked up a trade that caught my eye.  Since there weren't any Superhero books of interest, I mostly picked up Batman who is a reliable non-superhero vigilante.

But I found the HL Joker to be a complete departure from any Joker I had ever seen.

I had never seen any print with that Joker until they started putting out books after the movie.  At least I never noticed them till after. 

But HL did a fantastic job with the part.  But to me it wasn't Joker ? 

12 minutes ago, Spence said:

? Puzzling.  I know that it has been a long time since I read comics.  I started loosing interest in the early 90's when they seemed (to me) to change their emphasis away from superhero adventure.  Since then I have only occasionally picked up a trade that caught my eye.  Since there weren't any Superhero books of interest, I mostly picked up Batman who is a reliable non-superhero vigilante.

But I found the HL Joker to be a complete departure from any Joker I had ever seen.

I had never seen any print with that Joker until they started putting out books after the movie.  At least I never noticed them till after. 

But HL did a fantastic job with the part.  But to me it wasn't Joker ? 

Go back to the original Joker and his rewrite in the '70's, not the cartoon character that Cesar Romero played in the series or the comics of the '60's, which were heavily influenced by the Comics Code.

6 minutes ago, Watchman Mk. IV said:

Go back to the original Joker and his rewrite in the '70's, not the cartoon character that Cesar Romero played in the series or the comics of the '60's, which were heavily influenced by the Comics Code.

Yes, that is my base for Joker too (I was never a big fan of Adam West Batman). 

Which is why HL's interpretation was was so weird, it was nothing like the comics at all.   Even the recent Suicide Squad was a wash.

I just don't like the weird grungy look of the "new" stuff ?

On 4/9/2018 at 8:42 PM, drunkonduty said:

And go!

(Just for the record, I am not a fan of the Dark Knight stuff either. It's okay, not great.)

Off the top of my head (and in no particular order):

1. Spider-Man (Sam Raimi version)

2. Superman the Movie

3. Avengers

4. Wonder Woman

5. Green Lantern

Kidding!

5. Captain America: Civil War

Also, I'm not supposed to say this, but I wasn't enthused about Black Panther. It was good, but, as of this writing it isn't one of my favourites.

On 4/11/2018 at 11:48 AM, RDU Neil said:

Question... where is the thread discussing this new DC TV thing... and does anyone know anything about it? 

This looks fun... and DC has always done TV better than movies.

https://www.cbr.com/titans-tv-costumes-beast-boy-raven/

5 hours ago, Greywind said:

Starfire looks like a street walker.

You mean the comic book version?  The article doesn't show Anna Diop in her Starfire costume.

27 minutes ago, Ranxerox said:

The article doesn't show Anna Diop in her Starfire costume

If you follow the Twitter link, then scroll down, there's a pic of Starfire. Or check this article about the very topic, the pic is a bit down the page:

http://comicbook.com/dc/2018/04/13/titans-starfire-anna-diop-photos-backlash-response/#4

I'm thinking the fur coat isn't part of the costume since the pic was taken when she was standing around set obviously between shots with a crew member standing right next to her. The dress under it looked almost exactly like the one in the comic page someone linked in the above article. Hair looks atrocious.

The whole thing looks low budget, really, but I'll wait to see what the official promo stuff looks like before judging. For all we know, they may plan to apply liberal doses of CGI.

It does have a real CW vibe to it, in terms of production value. I figure that purple dress is Starfire's attempt to blend in, perhaps at a nightclub or something, and is not representative of her "regular" costume. It remains to be seen, however, how much we'll see any of them in something resembling their superhero suits. The one promo shot of Robin could have been strictly that: a promo shot intended to get people excited and on board with the show, while in truth the show may rarely show him in it. At this point we just don't know.