DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I never liked Terence Howard as Rhodey partly because of his high squeaky voice.  Cheadle wasn't a great choice either but he's always really good to watch in any role so I could live with it.  The guy that really works is Anthony Mackie as Falcon, he'd have been a good pick for the part.  But back when Iron  Man was being done, they were looking for names because they thought the project wasn't strong enough on its own.  Now they know they need cheaper unknowns and the project will carry its own weight by being popular.

I prefer Cheadle to Howard. But to be totally honest, the Rhodey character isn't important enough (to me) that I really care that much one way or the other who plays him. I was more disappointed over the loss of Ed Norton as Banner; I thought he fit the Ultimates style Banner really well, and would have been great going forward. And really, almost anyone other than ScarJo would have been better as Black Widow, AFAIC, but I say that mostly because I'm simply not much of a ScarJo fan, not because Black Widow is a character important enough that it screams out for perfect casting.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

Hmm... judging by his Guardians work, Gunn might be able to pull off the kind of movie it looked like SS1 was trying to be: light-hearted but with an edge, morally grey but with heart at its core.

Yup! I wonder which characters he'll be working with, the Suicide Squad changed up a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

Appears that DC is going to do a "Flashpoint" style reboot, but with Wonder Woman instead of the Flash.  They're delaying Wonder Woman 7 months to restructure and rewrite, to add in time travel elements to fix their universe (and justify different actors in the roles).  Apparently they have figured out that they've done such damage to the setting and characters they have to start from scratch.  Which is a pretty good idea, if it weren't DC.  Who hasn't demonstrated that they really deserve any trust.

7 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Appears that DC is going to do a "Flashpoint" style reboot, but with Wonder Woman instead of the Flash.  They're delaying Wonder Woman 7 months to restructure and rewrite, to add in time travel elements to fix their universe (and justify different actors in the roles).  Apparently they have figured out that they've done such damage to the setting and characters they have to start from scratch.  Which is a pretty good idea, if it weren't DC.  Who hasn't demonstrated that they really deserve any trust.

5 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Dang. Sounds like they're going to screw up the movie. I was looking forward to it, too.

The track record of Warner meddling with their DC properties has been abysmal. If this is true, word of it is going to cripple their box office, whatever the result turns out to be. Patty Jenkins has earned the trust to be allowed to make the movie she wants to make.

As I said in my comment to Grace's video, I'm convinced this is doomed to failure. Whenever you resort to time travel and "soft reboots" to save your failing franchise, you've already lost. This will just make an even bigger mess of the DCEU.

6 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

The track record of Warner meddling with their DC properties has been abysmal. If this is true, word of it is going to cripple their box office, whatever the result turns out to be. Patty Jenkins has earned the trust to be allowed to make the movie she wants to make.

SO agreed. Honestly, if they really want a new Justice League movie, put Patty Jenkins in charge of it. She's proven, she's got a fan base, and she gets superheroes- the fact that she fought for the scene where Wonder Woman charges no man's land proves that.

Hmm, so they already took Superman being the personification of Hope and gave it to Wonder Woman. Now they take one of Flash's biggest storylines and give it to her. Next I am sure she will deal with the Killing Joke. After that, she will realize if she takes all the Green Lantern's rings, she can go back in time and fix things so Steve doesn't die in WW1.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Crisis on Infinite Earths was a great reboot, so DC has shown they CAN do it

WB/DC has not shown that they can do much of anything on screen like they do in the comics. So far, Wonder Woman is the only standout and does not represent what WB/DC can do on a consistent, shared-universe-wide basis. I have zero confidence that they can take a dubious storytelling device like rebooting through time travel, and make it anything but obvious that it is nothing more than a desperate attempt to salvage what they can from the epic (overall) failure that is the DCEU.