DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Well, to be fair, the concept of building a cinematic franchise from the ground up is relatively new. For instance, the James Bond "franchise" was post facto, and not guaranteed to even become one just because the novels were popular. Nobody involved in the making of Dr. No thought of it as a franchise starter. The idea of putting out an initial film with the intention that it will kick off a big movie franchise (or "(shared) cinematic universe") is a very recent notion, and I have to agree with Old Man that it hasn't happened successfully yet. Even the teaser at the end of Iron Man was merely a testing of the waters to measure audience interest in the idea, but Marvel Studios didn't produce that movie with the confident foreknowledge that it would result in the MCU.

Marvel's shared universe was actually precedent-setting in the comics as well. Prior to that each starring comic-book character essentially existed in their own separate world. They would sometimes appear in each other's magazines, and of course there were team-up titles like Justice League; but the events in one character's title never impacted the others, and each hero had his or her own rogues gallery who almost never crossed over with other heroes.

3 hours ago, Bazza said:

As shared universes go, Howard Phillips Lovecraft, Robert Ervin Howard, and Clark Ashton Smith created one in the 30s* in the pulp magazines. 

*IIRC

They had what we would call "shout outs" and "call backs" to one another but I don't think it rose to the level of a shared universe.

Lucius Alexander

Riding a palindromedary from Arkham to Aquilonia?

Yeah, Lovecraft shared elements (gods, creatures, artifacts, but not events) of his mythos with other authors, but there was no attempt to make everything inhabit a single common fictive universe. Implicit in the cosmology was the idea that it could all be inhabiting a common multiverse, which of course Azathoth would be presiding over, but none of it resembles the cohesive continuity of superhero comic books or the MCU.

The Thieves World fantasy anthology series might count, along with other anthologies inspired by it.

I was thinking of the Sanctuary/Thieve's World books as well.  That was a deliberately designed shared world, but it isn't quite the same in that its less about a bunch of characters who happen to be int he same universe as a universe that happens to have lots of characters.  So it isn't really a shared universe, its just a lot of writers working on the same universe.

As for Batwoman I really have no concern for who plays the character, as I have no interest in the show or the character.

5 hours ago, Trencher said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-45166592

Ruby Rose is getting put through the wringer because some fans dont want her to play Batwoman. I watch her as Batwoman in a movie or show. People are going overboard imo.

The stupid is awesome.

I'm particularly amused by the "not lesbian enough" stuff. Oh dear, the gatekeeping.

I think the only point of concern with regard to Ruby Rose should be her acting ability, or lack thereof. She has a great look, but it remains to be seen if she can act well enough to pull off the role convincingly. Her real life sexual orientation is, and should be, utterly irrelevant. If fans really want to complain about anyone "not being lesbian enough," then they should wait until the Batwoman show airs (assuming it even gets greenlit as an independent series), see how she's portrayed, and then complain to the showrunners and WB if they aren't satisfied. Ruby herself will have little say in the matter, so aiming SJW cannons at her is pointless.

This whole 'you have to be the exact character or you cannot play the role' thing is just truly obnoxious.  Its acting, people.  That guy dressed up as Chewbacca is not, in fact, a wookie.  Benedict Cumberbatch is neither a surgeon or a sorcerer.  Cate Blanchett is not an elf.  Get a grip.

Yeah, George Lucas really messed up in his solemn duty towards representation in film by not casting an actual wookie to play Chewbacca. He was further derelict in this duty when he failed in the same way for Ewok representation. Actually, hiring humans for all his aliens was simply unforgivable. He should be ashamed of himself.

22 hours ago, zslane said:

Yeah, George Lucas really messed up in his solemn duty towards representation in film by not casting an actual wookie to play Chewbacca. He was further derelict in this duty when he failed in the same way for Ewok representation. Actually, hiring humans for all his aliens was simply unforgivable. He should be ashamed of himself.

Lucas's final decision on those points, to hire a tall Ewok to play Chewbacca and short Wookies to play the Ewoks, ultimately satisfied no one.