DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

"Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source.

What bollocks. Marvel has had one actor playing nearly every major MCU character for the last 10 years. Indiana Jones (as an adult) has been played by a single actor for 35+ years. You absolutely do not need to look at new actors just because a character has had a "certain run". Hell, Cavill's Superman only had a 4-year run (2013-2017); that's hardly a reason to switch actors.

The reason WB switches actors constantly is because they can't put together a cohesive franchise. The most they seem capable of doing is taking the standard path of 3-movies-and-out that every other studio does, and has done for the past twenty years. Except they couldn't even put together a three-picture (solo) Superman franchise or a three-picture (solo) Batman franchise before everything fell apart. I guess this is simply more fallout from the disaster that was the DCEU. And it remains to be seen if they can even sustain enough organizational competency to get a third Wonder Woman movie made before that franchise falls victim to WB's ineptitude as well.

Aquaman may do okay, and the second Wonder Woman movie may do fairly well. But I don't have high hopes for the next Suicide Squad movie, or the Birds of Prey movie they have lined up. WB/DC is still a hot mess, and will likely remain so for the next decade.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

"Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source.

What irks me, is that this is what the comics basically do, these days. Once a creative team is done with their stint on a character, the next one comes in and does whatever they want, and to hell with continuity, etc. The MCU has actually had better continuity than the comics for the most part (at least since Marvel's halcyon 61-86 era). Back then, a creative change of writer/artist would have still complied with the overall editorial creative direction of the larger Marvel line... but now, just do the "next cool thing" with the property. Clearly DC/WB thinks of the supers this way... "do something with the character property to make money!"... as opposed to Feige having a coherent ten year plan (and beyond) to maximize the character/actor dynamic as fully as possible.

I didn't like Cavill as Superman at all. But it's difficult to tell how much of that was a bad director and an even worse script or whether Cavil was a terrible actor surrounded by other terrible actors and they were all dealing with a bad director and a terrible script.

It's nice that Cavill tries to understand the character and do it justice, unlike some actors in comic book movies. But any attempts that he made to do that didn't come through in the films to me.

I like Chris Evans as Captain America but I remember him going into some event standing on a red carpet with some other actor from the Avengers movie. The person interviewing him is doing a big reveal of who the villain was going to be in the next Avengers movie. The interviewer tries to do a dramatic buildup and then announces to him, "It's Ultron!"

Both of the actors get a blank look on their face and Chris Evans says, "Who's that?"

The interviewer had to try to explain to them that Ultron is the ultimate evil indestructible robot of the Marvel Universe and that this is a big deal while they're standing there with blank looks on their faces. And when the interviewer finished talking, Evans gave a deadpan, "Okay" and was still clearly confused as to what was menacing or significant about the Avengers fighting a robot.

By that point in time, Evans had done two MCU movies for sure and Winter Soldier was probably already filmed. Plus he had done two Fantastic Four movies but apparently was still completely unaware of the identity of one of the most iconic Marvel villains.

But even given that total disinterest on Evans part, he still manages to do a hell of a job when the cameras are turned on.

"I'm interested and I care but my performances suck and my acting is wooden" vs "I have no idea what's going on and don't care to know but I read my script and try to connect in character with the other actors while the camera is on".

< shrug >

I would be curious when Morton Downey, Jr. finishes up acting in the MCU what would happen if the DC movie universe hired him to play Maxwell Lord, the charismatic paranoid billionaire who manipulates the Justice League.

Would Downey pull off a killer performance with a character who is tailor-made for him? Or would the movie director and script have him come off as a bad cartoon (as DC movies has Lex Luthor over and over again)

At this point, I'd bank on Downey not being able to pull off a killer performance because the director, script, and editing would do everything in their power to stop the performance from being entertaining, powerful, or even slightly interesting.

2 minutes ago, Starlord said:

He might be a decent J. Jonah Jameson if he wasn't dead.

Yeah, I said the wrong thing. I shouldn't try to post when I have a migraine coming on. I do that "name-switching" thing a lot when speaking but not as often when typing.

i meant the name of the actor who is Iron Man in the MCU.

It's someone's right not to appreciate Cavill as Superman. Completely misguided, but their right. ;)

As for Evans not knowing Ultron in advance, the majority of people in this world aren't comic nerds like so many of us in this community. Even those who read comics typically just read the titles and characters that personally interest them, and don't buy into the whole "universe" thing. If Evans came to the character of Captain America from outside the comic experience, there's seven decades of history behind him to wade through, and five decades of Avengers history. It's not surprising if his priority is what's in the script he's being asked to perform (which often deviates from comic history anyway).

I actually liked Justice League more than the last Avengers film.  I agree about the characters, they redesigned several, but it was enjoyable enough, if a bit swiss cheesy at times.  Not particularly great but at least they understand the concept of heroism and at least tried to create a consistent, logical plot.

On 9/12/2018 at 10:24 AM, zslane said:

What bollocks. Marvel has had one actor playing nearly every major MCU character for the last 10 years. Indiana Jones (as an adult) has been played by a single actor for 35+ years. You absolutely do not need to look at new actors just because a character has had a "certain run". Hell, Cavill's Superman only had a 4-year run (2013-2017); that's hardly a reason to switch actors.

The reason WB switches actors constantly is because they can't put together a cohesive franchise. The most they seem capable of doing is taking the standard path of 3-movies-and-out that every other studio does, and has done for the past twenty years. Except they couldn't even put together a three-picture (solo) Superman franchise or a three-picture (solo) Batman franchise before everything fell apart. I guess this is simply more fallout from the disaster that was the DCEU. And it remains to be seen if they can even sustain enough organizational competency to get a third Wonder Woman movie made before that franchise falls victim to WB's ineptitude as well.

Aquaman may do okay, and the second Wonder Woman movie may do fairly well. But I don't have high hopes for the next Suicide Squad movie, or the Birds of Prey movie they have lined up. WB/DC is still a hot mess, and will likely remain so for the next decade.

Except for Rhodey.

20 minutes ago, archer said:

Amazing that a group superhero movie, a visual medium of communication if there ever was one, would cut a hero whose concept is that he is too small to be seen by the group or the audience.

Well, Hawkeye actually was in The Avengers Infinity War, but you just didn't notice.