DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

58 minutes ago, Cassandra said:

Well, Hawkeye actually was in The Avengers Infinity War, but you just didn't notice.

I considered not having a badly-written Hawkeye character in the movie to be a bonus.

They pretty much took everything which made Hawkeye a good character in the 60's through the 90's and did the opposite in the MCU movies. (Maybe they screwed the character as he was more recent Hawkeye appearances as well but I'm not as familiar with him in recent years.)

Well, MCU Hawkeye owes a lot to the version of that character who appeared in Marvel's Ultimates title. The Ultimates line was a sort of alternate universe to the long-established Marvel U, with different takes on many characters. The MCU has adapted elements from both continuities, such as Nick Fury looking like Sam Jackson, and Iron Man's early armor requiring elaborate equipment to get on and off.

I consider adapting Ultimate Hawkeye to have been a prudent move, since RDJ's Iron Man had taken over the team smart-mouth role that Hawkeye played in the classic Avengers.

On 9/12/2018 at 1:24 PM, zslane said:

"Superman is like James Bond, and after a certain run you have to look at new actors," says a studio source.

What bollocks. Marvel has had one actor playing nearly every major MCU character for the last 10 years. Indiana Jones (as an adult) has been played by a single actor for 35+ years. You absolutely do not need to look at new actors just because a character has had a "certain run". Hell, Cavill's Superman only had a 4-year run (2013-2017); that's hardly a reason to switch actors.

14 hours ago, Cassandra said:

Except for Rhodey.

12 hours ago, zslane said:

Just to be clear, Rhodey is an exception to...? 

I believe the bolded part above.  This does assume Rhodey is a major MCU character - since he is an Avenger I'd say he qualifies, though one could say he's more of a sidekick to Tony Stark / Iron Man.

Edit to add:  To clarify, one might argue Rhodey isn't a major MCU character because he hasn't had his own film.  This would beg the point that neither has Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, or Vision.  Or that Hawkeye guy either, I suppose.

6 minutes ago, BoloOfEarth said:

Edit to add:  To clarify, one might argue Rhodey isn't a major MCU character because he hasn't had his own film.  This would beg the point that neither has Black Widow, Scarlet Witch, or Vision.  Or that Hawkeye guy either, I suppose.

Can also apply to Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner & Hulk. 

Suffice to say, Marvel has been fortunate with its casting that they predominately have had the same actor representing that character, even over a multiple-year span absence (thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper & William Hurt & Thunderbolt Ross). However, when necessary, Marvel will recast actors in roles. And even with this, Marvel has been fortunate that the actors in recasted roles haven't need to be recasted for a third time. 

(Another role that has been recast is Fandral and I believe this was due to actor availability.)

5 hours ago, BoloOfEarth said:

I believe the bolded part above.  This does assume Rhodey is a major MCU character...

Yeah, that's what I figured.

But, see, that's why I used the words "nearly" and "major". I deliberately and carefully qualified my statement precisely so that it wouldn't draw contrarian comments like Cassandra's. But it seems that no matter how carefully I phrase something, someone will just gloss over what I wrote, and will make a contrarian comment anyway. It's bloody annoying.

7 hours ago, Bazza said:

Can also apply to Mark Ruffalo as Bruce Banner & Hulk. 

Suffice to say, Marvel has been fortunate with its casting that they predominately have had the same actor representing that character, even over a multiple-year span absence (thinking of Gwyneth Paltrow as Pepper & William Hurt & Thunderbolt Ross). However, when necessary, Marvel will recast actors in roles. And even with this, Marvel has been fortunate that the actors in recasted roles haven't need to be recasted for a third time. 

(Another role that has been recast is Fandral and I believe this was due to actor availability.)

Mark Ruffalo is a character played by Vincent D'Onofrio.

23 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I actually liked Justice League more than the last Avengers film.  I agree about the characters, they redesigned several, but it was enjoyable enough, if a bit swiss cheesy at times.  Not particularly great but at least they understand the concept of heroism and at least tried to create a consistent, logical plot.

Which perfectly describes Tim Burton's Batman and Batman Returns.