DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Crisis on Infinite Earths was a great reboot, so DC has shown they CAN do it, plus Ms Jenkins did well with the property so... we'll see.  I'm just not confident.

I thought Crisis on Infinite Earths was a great story. But I wasn't as impressed with it as a reboot.

DC Comics showed they could do a successful reboot -- once. Their successive reboots were highly questionable. Warner has not had even one such success to inspire confidence. Moreover, Crisis on Infinite Earths was conceived of from the beginning as a universe-resetting event, not tacked on to something else as an afterthought. And it was spaced out over twelve issues in an entire year, not crammed into one movie.

3 hours ago, slikmar said:

Hmm, so they already took Superman being the personification of Hope and gave it to Wonder Woman. Now they take one of Flash's biggest storylines and give it to her. Next I am sure she will deal with the Killing Joke. After that, she will realize if she takes all the Green Lantern's rings, she can go back in time and fix things so Steve doesn't die in WW1.

It's all about the spin.

4 hours ago, slikmar said:

Hmm, so they already took Superman being the personification of Hope and gave it to Wonder Woman.

That's one of the things the two have always had in common. I don't think the DCEU's crappy portrayal of Superman has anything to do with their decent depiction of Wonder Woman.

The forthcoming Aquaman and Shazam movies appear to have benefited from that revelatory insight. But three (tonally) tolerable superhero movies do not a successful shared-universe franchise make.

If they can pull it off, though, that does start to win back some trust and goodwill from the audience.  And I agree, Shazam is going too far with the "he's a kid in a man's body" thing to the point of ignoring the character's basic abilities.  To be fair he was pretty much an idiot in his early comics, too.  The simplest stuff would fool him.

1 hour ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If they can pull it off, though, that does start to win back some trust and goodwill from the audience.  And I agree, Shazam is going too far with the "he's a kid in a man's body" thing to the point of ignoring the character's basic abilities.  To be fair he was pretty much an idiot in his early comics, too.  The simplest stuff would fool him.

Most recent Interpreations (Young Justice, DC Animated Universe) seem to focus on his childlike personality features. It is only sensical that the live action one does too.

That and being magic (and thus able to combat superman effectively) are his two trademarks :)

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

If they can pull it off, though, that does start to win back some trust and goodwill from the audience.

Perhaps. But at the same time they have a Joker movie and a Birds of Prey movie in the works, both of which are in tonal opposition to the other movies on the slate. WB/DC should publicly abandon any notion of a shared cinematic universe and just make it explicit that from now on they only intend to make standalone movies that may or may not have minor crossover potential here and there. The longer they cling to the DCEU as an umbrella under which all their superhero movies huddle, the longer it will take to convince fans that the whole thing isn't (still) a massive hot mess.

1 hour ago, zslane said:

WB/DC should publicly abandon any notion of a shared cinematic universe and just make it explicit that from now on they only intend to make standalone movies that may or may not have minor crossover potential here and there. The longer they cling to the DCEU as an umbrella under which all their superhero movies huddle, the longer it will take to convince fans that the whole thing isn't (still) a massive hot mess.

The problem with the above is that I recall an article that stated that WB/DC never publically annouced that it was a shared universe and that it was to be called DCEU. The DCEU is an industry & fan term with DC never confirming them (to my knowledge). 

So publically abandoning it is non-event to begin with.

edit: found this: https://www.slashfilm.com/dc-extended-universe-name-is-a-joke/

edit 2: DC may have clung to an interconnected universe model so you are right to assume such in the quote above. The name of this universe was apparently unnamed officially. 

The DCEU term was never official, no; but BvS was obviously introducing a shared universe, and Warner's previously announced (and now suspended) slate of film followups to Justice League clearly intended to pursue that goal. So standalone movies would be a clear change in direction, whether or not the old direction was ever spelled out in so many words.

They've had both interconnected and non-connected movies on the slate, so were never as focused on the shared universe thing as Marvel. I think that it was mostly confined to JL. IIRC, they even had two different versions of the Joker slated to come out around the same time.

I'll be happy if Aquaman is as good as its trailers and they pull back from messing with Wonder Woman.

5 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Depends on what your expectations of "The Wisdom of Solomon" entails.

6 hours ago, Pattern Ghost said:

They've had both interconnected and non-connected movies on the slate, so were never as focused on the shared universe thing as Marvel. I think that it was mostly confined to JL. IIRC, they even had two different versions of the Joker slated to come out around the same time.

I'll be happy if Aquaman is as good as its trailers and they pull back from messing with Wonder Woman.

I'd be interested in what was considered non-connected (other then Shazam maybe), since Birds of Prey and Joker both feature characters/actors shown in Suicide Squad and the opening of SS had the Ben Afleck Batman arresting Deadshot and also a post scene with Amanda Waller handing Bruce Wayne a folder on the various supers. So, the DCEU has been Man of Steel followed by BVS where WW appeared before her own movie, before SS had Batman appear, before JL. Again, only Shazam seems to MAYBE be outside the DCEU.

Hmm, maybe Flashpoint type thing in WW will be her showing up to rescue Johnathon Kent during the storm and explaining to a young Clark to never be afraid to help people in need. Then she can go B!tch Slap Batman and say Never Kill, Never use guns they just escalate things and make you a villain.

You should have seen the look of utter horror on my GM's face last night when I told the table that they were delaying Wonder Woman 2 so that they could work in aspects of Flashpoint for a reboot of the DC movie universe. He felt that if they wanted to change actors or tone, then they should just do it, and say, "that's how it is now". He also had words to the effect that the Flashpoint storyline should just be retired, as it's been done to death in other media.