DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

3 hours ago, Starlord said:

I don't remember the Jean Grey love triangle going in that direction....

As I recall it was an outtake. Scott and Logan were discussing giving and taking orders.

Logan: So give me an order and see if I can follow it.

Scott: Put this on. (X-Men uniform)

Logan: Whose is it?

Scott: *chuckles* One of mine.

I did find this.

11 hours ago, Hermit said:

Should I change the title of this thread?

The Past Failure of the DC Movie Universe not counting super popular Wonder Woman and Billion Dollar Aquaman

or

This was about DC Films now it's about Deadpool and MAYBE Shazam

or...

:)

All of the above without spaces.

I think this biggest problem with creating a DC cinematic universe versus a Marvel cinematic universe is that Marvel has always felt and read like a consistent universe; where as, every title in DC was practically its own sub-universe.  I don't think that is necessarily a bad thing, but it does make it tough to put characters together on the screen.  I don't think it would be impossible to do a DC cinematic universe, but you would probably have to go the Arrow/Flash TV series route and build it up with its own particular rules.

DC's biggest problem may be that it's difficult to make good movies -- even popcorn movies. Lots of movies fail every year, including big budget ones.

Maybe DC's experience is what one should expect.

I wonder how many people are capable of overseeing a cinematic universe, and ensuring its success.

Disney/Marvel enjoys the benefit of being run by a comics superfan (Kevin Feige). DC had Geoff Johns in a similar role, but he isn't nearly as business savvy as Feige, nor does he seem to have the vision necessary to architect a shared universe franchise on the scale of the MCU. Moreover, WB/DC lacked the patience to grow their shared universe slowly and organically, and in their rush to be competitive with the MCU, they imploded creatively and organizationally.

I would also say that, and maybe this goes with the impatience, that WB never gave Johns the power Feige has enjoyed once Iron Man came out and was successful. As a matter of fact, they seemed to hand the reins over to Snyder instead. They didnt seem to learn that Feige may have been the big in charge, but he didn't direct/write the movies, but seemed to for the most part let the talent do what they do and made changes only for "continuity" for his plan rather then say, NO, DO IT MY WAY most of the time.

Time will tell but they at least seem to be willing to head in a good direction.  Honestly the "shared universe" thing doesn't need to even be part of it except maybe a line once in a while.  Say you have Superman in a movie where he punches an asteroid to bits to save the earth.  Then in Justice League, Flash makes a crack about this not being just an asteroid you can punch.  That's as "shared universe" as you have to get.