DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

Animated Batman seems to do well regardless of the medium (feature film or television). Why can't DC realize the same would be true for live-action Batman?

(Answer: because DC is governed by witless nerfherders.)

That's kind of insulting to the nerf herders, isn't it?

Regardless of whether or not this latest rumor is true, the fact remains that WB/DC can't seem to keep their (DCEU) sh*t together for very long. Virtually every film has been struck with controversy and delays of one kind or another. They only get away with it because audiences seem to have an incurable hard-on for Batman, and will gleefully pay to see him on the big screen no matter what.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah, it's pretty clear Snyder's approach is that if X isn't working, the solution is to add more X but dialed up to 11.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Marvel's movie success starts with producers who themselves know, understand, and respect the source material. Until Warner Bros. puts people with the same relationship to DC's characters firmly at the head of their comic-book film properties, those films will continue to struggle to find their footing.

I can't disagree with this statement, but I think the problems go much deeper than that. Loyalty to the source material aside, the DC/WB movies just aren't very good. They're overstuffed and confusing, full of uninteresting characters that lack motivation, relatability, or narrative agency who don't change in any meaningful way and are overshadowed by empty spectacle and Big Emotional Moments that haven't been earned. You could theoretically make a decent movie where Superman is an entitled douche; us fanboys would've cried that it's not the real Superman, but the broader moviegoing audience wouldn't necessarily care. It's not just that they aren't making good Superman movies - they're just not making good movies period.

Loyalty to the source material aside, the DC/WB movies just aren't very good

I can't disagree with this.  Take away the costumes and Iron Man is still a good movie, so is Captain America, Avengers, etc.  The spectacle makes it fun but they are solid stories with solid acting on their own.

We may have to wait for Batman to guest on a CW show before we see someone recognizable.

I think you'll be waiting a very long time. AFAIK, they haven't acknowledged that the Batman exists anywhere in the CW multiverse.

• 3 weeks later...

The Justice League's new trailer is up.

My reaction is kind of mixed; they are working a bit harder on making it fun, but this could be all the somewhat amusing bits in the entire film.

If you're relying on Batman to be your light and fun character, you've got a character confusion.

On the other hand, this looks to be a film version of the animated Justice League: War, which was well done.  There are sequences they obviously can't use, such as the race between Flash and Superman, and Captain Marvel ("Shazam") isn't around yet.  My guess is Darkseid already has Superman's body and has revived him, trying to turn him.

They are fine with superhero names, costumes, and identities, something Marvel Studios seems to think is too childish to have in their films.  And the action looks appropriately epic for their power level (you see why the Batmobile is bristling with guns in the trailer).

At the same time, I'm not happy with the costuming, its way too complicated and busy.  The Flash has a speed skater-style helmet on for streamlined running... and then he's covered with all these facts and breaks and textures that would slow him in the air and increase friction.

So, mixed bag, and still gloomy lighting and a very narrow pallet because apparently Snyder only thinks in dark gray and brown.

If you're relying on Batman to be your light and fun character, you've got a character confusion.

Word. And it still annoys me that it's Bruce Wayne doing the recruiting rather than Batman, but whatever.

On the other hand, this looks to be a film version of the animated Justice League: War, which was well done.

I didn't see that one, but it was based on the storyline from the New 52 relaunch, which wasn't bad. That story was written by Geoff Johns, so now that he's HMFIC at DC/WB it's not too surprising they'd borrow from that. Tho that story had them all coming together mid-crisis, rather than having Batman recruit them one at a time.

It goes against an actor's instinct to keep his face covered. That takes away from one of his most important tools for communicating to the audience.

On the story front, though, I actually like that it's Bruce Wayne doing the gathering, and not trying to hide his being Batman from the other heroes. I know secret identities can be a big deal in comics, but there are times when they're not appropriate. If you're trying to build a team you have to build trust among your team mates, and hiding who you are from them won't bring you that. Besides, given Batman's reputation, trusting him won't come easily.

It goes against an actor's instinct to keep his face covered. That takes away from one of his most important tools for communicating to the audience.

Although a great actor can work with it and make it powerful -- See Hugo Weaving in V and to a lesser extent Captain America.  You couldn't even see his eyes in V for Vendetta, but he was powerful.  I think its mostly ego and wanting face time.