DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

No real argument on any of those points. Ego does play a role with most actors, but so does insecurity. And that "great actor" qualifier definitely applies. An actor needs a lot of ego to put himself in that category.

But Weaving himself understood the risk he was taking. Some actors seek out the excitement of challenges that scare them. As for Chris Evans, he spends a lot of screen time outside Cap's helmet.

Masks are much more a part of various styles of period drama. Modern actors get few opportunities to practice using them in performance. Many actors who learned their craft on the job in television and/or movies have no experience with them. But even today, working in a mask is often a part of an actor's formal training. You try to absorb the essence of what the mask embodies, and convey that through body language. Done well, it's amazing to see.

I agree that the Justice League trailer 1 had a Suicide Squad vibe, but for the first half of the film Suicide Squad wasn't bad.  It wasn't great, but it had its moments.  Dial back Will Smith or replace him with a different actor and keep it closer to the source material and it could have been better, but it wasn't bad.  It just got worse halfway through, the bad guy sucked, the threat was confusing, and most of peoples' behavior was inexplicable.

I admire DC for trying to have a different feel and tone than Marvel, but I'm not super fond of the tone and feel they've chosen.

I saw Suicide Squad on bluray two weekends ago and I feel the best thing about that movie is its soundtrack, followed by Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. She's pretty much the only reason to watch that movie. I also thought that Jared Leto's Joker was an interesting take on the character. I kinda wanted to see more of him. I think a movie about Joker, Harley, and the death of Robin would make for a far more compelling movie than Suicide Squad.

I saw Suicide Squad on bluray two weekends ago and I feel the best thing about that movie is its soundtrack, followed by Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn. She's pretty much the only reason to watch that movie. I also thought that Jared Leto's Joker was an interesting take on the character. I kinda wanted to see more of him. I think a movie about Joker, Harley, and the death of Robin would make for a far more compelling movie than Suicide Squad.

My problem with Leto's Joker is that it feels like a reversal of the complaint people had with Tommy Lee Jones Two-Face. The Joker shown in SS was to much of a "gangster" style villain. I realize there were other things, but it felt that way. The problem I had with Two-Face is I wanted him to be more of a gangster villain and less a psychopath (ie Joker clone).

I guess there's no particular version or take on the Joker that I love so much that I take issue with alternate versions/takes (psychotic, not-psychotic, gangsta, not-gangsta, tatted-up, not-tatted-up, whatever). They are all pretty stupid as far as I'm concerned, so as long as the performance is compelling in some way, I'm okay with it.

Well, you have to use your imagination a bit when dealing with a love affair between two psychopaths (and I maintain that Harley had to be a latent psychopath to fall in love with the Joker while treating him in Arkham). It's not going to make rational sense much of the time, which is okay, but a movie that wants you to care about those characters would benefit from trying a little harder to make the relationship more relatable.

I love the idea of a Whedon-helmed Batgirl film. However, at one time Joss was doing a Wonder Woman movie and that fell through. I'm not holding my breath for this one either.

I suspect this "news item" is nothing more than WB sending the idea of a Whedon Batgirl movie up the flagpole to gauge the reaction. If the Internets fall apart with fans goobing uncontrollably over it, then they might actually move forward with it. But if not, this will simply pass into the realm of rumor and WB will deny ever seriously considering it.

IME no few people who go into the field of psychology have inner conflicts and/or insecurities they're trying to compensate for. Not so much trying to heal themselves, as trying to gain a sense of control over their own lives by learning how to influence others.

Very true. Much like the lack of social skills demonstrated by so many IT and engineering types seems related to autistic spectrum behaviors. And CEOs with antisocial traits.

Lots of broad observations to be made about career paths and quirks.

Dollhouse also got really dark by the end of its run. I think you'll find a degree of tragedy in anything Whedon does, simply because he understands classical drama and how it works. Of course, not everyone likes Shakespeare's tragedies as much as his comedies, but that doesn't mean his tragedies aren't just as important to our culture.

If they're going to hand over the reins of a Batgirl movie to someone, I'd rather it be Whedon than Snyder.