DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

• 1 month later...

Basically that DC hardly needed to ease in extremely well known characters like Superman and Batman and used the Snyder films, bad as they were, to gradually accrete heroes in order of public familiarity, rather than introducing each character in its own franchise and then mash them all together in a huge Avengers-like event.

Basically that DC hardly needed to ease in extremely well known characters like Superman and Batman and used the Snyder films, bad as they were, to gradually accrete heroes in order of public familiarity, rather than introducing each character in its own franchise and then mash them all together in a huge Avengers-like event.

I think my counter-argument to that would be that the DCEU (Snyder) depictions of Superman and Batman are completely unfamiliar to general audiences. They run counter to expectations, and the only things that are familiar are the costumes and names. Audiences need to get accustomed to these new, brooding, cold, callous versions before throwing them all together, otherwise the shock of unfamiliarity would make a Justice League movie difficult to watch (moreso than it probably already will be). Thanks to MoS, at least we now know what kind of Superman we're getting going forward, and we realize it is an entirely new take on the character, one that makes past knowledge and assumptions invalid. He might as well be as unknown to us as Iron Man was prior to 2008.

I think the same argument could be made for all the DCEU characters. Lex Luthor was not any Lex Luthor I recognized. The Joker was not any Joker I recognized. Aquaman is new and broody and angry. Flash is young and nerdy and awkward (more like Kid Flash, if you ask me). And Wonder Woman isn't Lynda Carter. I mean, these are all so new and contrary to any prior knowledge general audiences have for these characters, that they are effectively unknown (like Cyborg). The Justice League movie will be all the better for having let us experience Wonder Woman in her own film first.

Given the degree of "re-imagining" going on here, a solo movie for each hero is certainly called for, IMO.

Justice League might still work, depending on how they approach it.  Their first move should be to get the post-processing guys to dial it back a bit.  I know its fun to play with the lighting and all but this is like when color TV first came out and everything had to be bright and gaudy as hell.

Even Marvel realizes that the "Avengers Assembly" model isn't the only way to do it; witness Guardians.

Well, I think Marvel's metric for who gets a solo movie is based more on publishing history in the comics than anything else. Each of the super-powered Avengers in the MCU has many decades of history as a solo character headlining his own title (or multiple titles) in the 616. Not so with the Guardians.

The Guardians aren't a premiere team the way the Avengers are. I think everything associated with them is going to be more compact and less ambitious by nature. You'll notice Marvel didn't rush out to make a Rockett solo movie, or a Rockett & Groot (flashback) buddy picture immediately after the success of GotG1. And it would have been pretty easy to do so since both characters are entirely CGI. I just don't think the Guardians characters have the necessary Marvel pedigree.

Gaudy is one thing, but MoS and BvS were too dark and washed-out for comic-book movies. IMO of course.

Sure but their work in post is why they were so dark and washed out.  It was a deliberate choice to make things a certain pallet.  The film crew didn't shoot things that dark and uniformly brown and gray, it was added later.  That works fine for 300 or Sin City where you're trying to create a certain mood or sense, but Superman??

• 4 weeks later...

And the colossal ineptitude of WB/DC just keeps undoing what little success they manage to achieve. Now Affleck is out as Batman and Reeves is pitching a whole new reboot trilogy for the Caped Crusader. We are back to a rotating roster of actors donning the cowl and different directors delivering different takes on the character. The DCEU continues to be a sh*tshow run by studio execs who can't get out of their own way (and their heads out of their own a$$e$).

Let's wait and see what news spirals out of Warner Brothers in the next few weeks. They wouldn't want news of Affleck's departure as Batman derailing the Comic-Con panel, so if it was true, they would be denying it like crazy. Of course, it could all just be Marvel's agents provocateur stirring the pot in an attempt to undermine the WB presentation. But given the generally poor track record for the DCEU, I am not entirely ready to call the Affleck Out theory debunked.

No lantern, sadly.  One of the most powerful of the league.

I can't comprehend how they can describe the Superman of those last two films as "a beacon to the world" or that he "didn't just save people, he made them see the best parts of themselves."  That's what he was supposed to be, and would have been with better writing and directing, but that's not what we got in those films.

Which is why they were such a travesty.