DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

I regard Snyder as a tremendous visualist. He really knows how to make his shots look beautiful (the overall ugliness of JL notwithstanding), but when it comes to story I find him severely lacking. Then again, maybe we should be blaming the screenwriters for that. I don't think he gets involved with that much, does he?

2 hours ago, Starlord said:

???  I'm thinking GOTG was actually one of the most popular superhero movies.

The first GOTG movie made $773, 328, 629.00 worldwide at the box office: http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=marvel2014a.htm Certainly very respectable, but well down the list among superhero movies.

The reason why Cary Grant films were consistently popular in the 30s/40s was that the audience could leave the world & their troubles outside for 90 mins-2 hours and gain a bit of happiness. 

That is why Grant's films was mostly the same over and over again. It was to brighten up and give a bit of hope to those whose economic conditions were unfavourable. 

Basically, a Grant film was a reliable way to make you feel good. 

(Except for Cary Grant's dramatic role in Only Angels Have Wings).

Just got back from Justice League with my kids. Easily my favorite movie from the DCCU so far, I have the sads it is doing poorly in the box office.

More optimistic tone, solid portrayal of Superman, liked the set up they did for the Flash movie. Tons of canonical references, basically a love letter to fans (from "Booyah" to theme music to after credits).

Could see Snyder's finger prints on lots of it, but didn't bother me as much. 

Be interesting to see where they go with this. Figure a sequel is inevitable, given the parent company financial interests and ownership of the intellectual properties. Scary to think how the wrong lessons might be learned here.

Basically agree with folks comments above on motivations of producers to avoid Green Lantern and Adam West Batman, and carbon copy Dark Knight and Burton-bat. Hope they move away from that, Wonder Woman was the right direction (not Batman vs Superman).

Crossing my fingers. Loved the second after credits scene, that could be awesome.

9 minutes ago, Iuz the Evil said:

More optimistic tone, solid portrayal of Superman,..........

By solid do you mean actual Superman?  We haven't seen even an attempt at the character all through MoS to BvS.  Heck we even had whimpering Angstman.  Have they read any of the comics this time?

Just asking.... :winkgrin:

26 minutes ago, Spence said:

By solid do you mean actual Superman?  We haven't seen even an attempt at the character all through MoS to BvS.  Heck we even had whimpering Angstman.  Have they read any of the comics this time?

Just asking.... :winkgrin:

That's exactly what I mean. Vast improvement over whatever the Hell that was before.

I actually felt the whole opening where the world is mourning his death did more in 10 minutes of real Superman, then the other 2 movies combined. I really believe Joss probably put that part together. I know, from something I read, that he did the interview in the opening, because Cavil had grown a mustache for another movie, so they digitally removed it for the scene, which looked odd.

I can see Snyder in this, but I really think Joss tweaked stuff in editing, besides reshooting.

On 12/8/2017 at 9:33 AM, zslane said:

Actually, it is quite bad given that there is virtually no way JL will break even from its theatrical run.

There is a formula that, given the opening weekend box office results, will predict the overall revenue for a film to an uncanny degree of accuracy. The $94M opening number pretty much guarantees that JL will not make back its production and advertising costs until years from now after all its ancillary revenue has rolled in (home video, streaming, toys/games, etc.). That makes it difficult to bankroll the next round of films in the slate which need financing secured in 2018. The failure to hit it big with JL will have enormous repercussions within WB/DC. It screws them (and their plans) in ways that folks who have never been involved in the industry--and feature film financing in particular--can't begin to imagine.

Well I don't know about any "formula", but , according to figures on :Box Office Mojo" "Justice League " has already made back its production costs. Advertising costs, I don't know about.

Movie studios don't get the full box office value back.  In fact, each week that a film is in theaters, they get a smaller cut.  That's why they like huge opening weekends then a rapid tail off so they can replace it with the next big film.  At this point they probably have made back their production costs but promotion usually runs about equal to production so they're still in the red.  In the end, they'll make their money back, but its not bringing in the billion + bank they needed it to be to be the power house launching their next films.

Each DC film since Man of Steel has opened for less money.  They needed to reverse that trend and didn't.

13 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Each DC film since Man of Steel has opened for less money.  They needed to reverse that trend and didn't.

Maybe trailers showing Superman actually acting like Superman may have helped.  All I saw leading up to the movies release was lots'o'explosions.

While I am 100% on board with Wonder Woman movies.  The rest of the more recent models of Bats and Supes were well into the meh to blek range for me. 

At this point, if they want me to slap down $20+ to go to the theater, the preview will need to SCREAM Superman.   Not Dead Beat Dad or Casual Killer or Angstman....

Edited by Spence
spelling

Yeah, I've heard a lot of speculation about whether DC/WB shot themselves in the foot by leaving Superman out of all the trailers. I don't know how open a secret that was outside of geek circles, so I don't know how many more people might've gone if they'd known Supes was in it, let alone whether or not he was "the real Supes."

To me, the trailer just screamed more of the same Suicide-Squad-meets-300. If that's not fair to the movie (and it sounds like maybe it wasn't), they have no one to blame but themselves. Edit: We can't even blame Snyder for the trailer; that's all on the studio.