DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

On 11/14/2017 at 2:29 PM, mrinku said:

One of Darkseid's lackeys. I'd have preferred Granny Goodness, but maybe she'll turn up later.

Please Lord, if this happens let them convince Ed Asner to reprise the role in the live action film! He'd be perfect!

On 12/7/2017 at 7:52 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I do like the idea of a Flashpoint type story with the Flash rebooting the DC universe.  Erase the Snyder films and restart, doing the characters right. I mean right now the Batman mythos is a wreck: how old is he?  When did the films take place?  What incarnation is he?  Is Superman v Batman before or after Bane destroyed Gotham?  

It occurs to me that Flashpoint rewriting everything since Barry was 9 would have basically zero effect on the events of Wonder Woman, allowing them to keep the one film almost everyone approved of in continuity with no changes...

On 12/10/2017 at 9:03 PM, Iuz the Evil said:

I'd put Justice League as better than a number of Marvel movies. Liked it better than: Thor 1, Thor 2, Iron Man 2, Iron Man 3, Incredible Hulk, and Avengers 2. Wasn't as good imo as GOTG, GOTG 2, any of the Captain America movies, Avengers 1, Iron Man 1.

Mostly in agreement with your rankings. I'd set it almost a dead heat with Age of Ultron, except for some crappy CGI and production values. And the use of the Harley Quinn BootyCam® from Suicide Squad for a lot of Diana's scenes. In the pro column, I like Wonder Woman and Superman better than any of the Marvel characters.

It was good enough that I mostly enjoyed myself watching it, and there was nothing so bad it made me want to jump either director with a crowbar—something I can't say about the previous two DCEU team movies. I'd actually be more or less satisfied if Warner Bros. could maintain roughly this level of quality moving forward, though they'd probably need to cut their production budgets by about 60% to make the movies fiscal successes.

On 12/11/2017 at 1:55 PM, Cassandra said:

Someone said if DC wants to make successful movies just give Christopher Nolan have a billion dollars.

Every subsequent DC movie trying to emulate Nolan's Dark Knight trilogy is IMO a big part of what brought DC to this state.

I'm not sure it counts as an 'epic' fail given WW's critical and financial success.  Honestly, I didn't even find any of the other movies to be awful, just 'meh' at worst with a few awful scenes.  For example, I was forced to watch Valerian and the City of a Thousand Whatever because my wife got it on Redbox...THAT was awful.  I mean, wow, that dialogue was as bad as SW prequels dialogue.

That nobody seriously disputes the title years *after* it was made and a lot of DC movies have been released says something about the state of DC's movie dreams.

It's just sort of presumed that at least *one* of any of their upcoming movies will fail.

My vote's on Aquaman. I like Aquaman.  I like Jason Momoa.  I didn't see JL yet so I can't say if I like JM as Aquaman, - or if he was Aquaman in name only.  

It won't matter much, though, if people still think of pop culture jokes when they think of Aquaman.  Those who like DC comics will go.  Those who liked him in JL will go.  Those who were indifferent will give it a pass.

54 minutes ago, Jagged said:

And the last Nolan Batman movie wasn't that great either.

I agree completely. But I think the Nolan trilogy is generally graded as a whole, and two of the three films were quite good. I'd give the trilogy a solid B+ overall.

Nevertheless, while The Dark Knight is a landmark film deserving of (most of) the acclaim it has received, I think we all agree that is no reason to paint the entire DCEU with the grimdark brush. I think its towering success profoundly distorted WB/DC's (creative) perspective, and the fact that Nolan's third installment was a disappointment didn't recalibrate that perspective one bit.

5 hours ago, DasBroot said:

My vote's on Aquaman. I like Aquaman.  I like Jason Momoa.  I didn't see JL yet so I can't say if I like JM as Aquaman, - or if he was Aquaman in name only.  

Momoa isn't your saturday-morning-cartoon Aquaman, but I thought he nailed it.  He has something of a hero's journey arc in JL, though obviously they couldn't devote a lot of screen time to it.

Sidebar: I actually enjoyed Valerian. Don’t get me wrong, it was an objectively terrible film. But I was in just the right mood to completely turn off my brain and watch the pretty pictures. And they sure were pretty: the whole time I kept thinking how much I’d love to play in that campaign. Honestly if they’d cast a couple of competent  actors for the lead roles, and tightened up the script a bit (losing the so-dated Pepe le Peu hostile-work-environment subplot) they could’ve had a decent movie on their hands. Coulda shoulda woulda...