DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

1 hour ago, zslane said:

Yeah, I agree that this last season of AoS has the reek of a slashed production budget. But I think they're doing a pretty fine job given those constraints. The CW shows generally do a better job of squeezing production value out of a shoestring budget, but it is evident that none of that money goes towards hiring decent writers, which is a critical problem in my view.

Yes, I think you're being too hard on Marvel (and Supergirl, shame on you). But you are definitely not being too hard on The Inhumans. Nor would you be unfairly harsh by calling Iron Fist a steaming pile as well. However, I think the overall high quality of Marvel's live action efforts so vastly overshadows their occasional failures, that it is unfair to pretend like those failures define Marvel on television.

Fair enough, but don't make me mention The Gifted.

Flash etc on WB are all basically teen soap operas that happen to have costumes and special effects.  The writing is abysmal, and Flash especially does so poorly with his powers in terms of what he can and cannot do, its ridiculous.  In the same show he can dodge bullets but not a fist.  After a while your ability to suspend disbelief out of the desire for the show to not suck just breaks.

2 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Flash etc on WB are all basically teen soap operas that happen to have costumes and special effects.  The writing is abysmal, and Flash especially does so poorly with his powers in terms of what he can and cannot do, its ridiculous.  In the same show he can dodge bullets but not a fist.  After a while your ability to suspend disbelief out of the desire for the show to not suck just breaks.

Be that as it may, it's still not Saw/Hostel that Agents of SHIELD has become.  The writers seem to delight in torturing their characters and then have them pull out a solution at the last moment. 

And this season is particular infuriating because it's basically abandoned the universe they created.  At the end of last season SHIELD was framed for a series of crime and considered a terrorist organization once again, and instead of trying to clear their good names went to have dinner and allow themselves to be captured by aliens for some reason.

It's what I like the "Thelma and Louise" option.

Agents of SHIELD was a failure from the first episode, but that was by the very design and concept of the show.  Instead of being about SHIELD it was about yet another Joss Whedon super waif and the team around her.  Instead of being about an international organization dedicated to keeping peace and fighting international bad guys it was about dumb little meaningless plots vaguely related to a superhero world.  Agents of SHIELD was used as Disney's Animatrix, stuff that sets up later movies rather than stories for themselves.  They even made me dislike Agent Coulson, the most likable guy in the Marvel cinematic universe.  I tried and tried to give that show a chance, and while it had a few entertaining bits, it was overall dreary and just completely missed the target. Like, facing the other way from where the target is.

AoS didn't get interesting until almost the end of Season 1.  I was compelled to follow it through the Hydra/Gideon Malick storyline, but fell off after that.  I hear good things, but the only show I even sort of have time to follow is Orville, and then only because I DVR the hell out of it.  I'd also love to keep watching Vikings and Last Kingdom and Gifted and Legion and so on, but there's no way.

27 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

Agents of SHIELD was a failure from the first episode, but that was by the very design and concept of the show.  Instead of being about SHIELD it was about yet another Joss Whedon super waif and the team around her.  Instead of being about an international organization dedicated to keeping peace and fighting international bad guys it was about dumb little meaningless plots vaguely related to a superhero world.  Agents of SHIELD was used as Disney's Animatrix, stuff that sets up later movies rather than stories for themselves.  They even made me dislike Agent Coulson, the most likable guy in the Marvel cinematic universe.  I tried and tried to give that show a chance, and while it had a few entertaining bits, it was overall dreary and just completely missed the target. Like, facing the other way from where the target is.

I liked Chloe Bennett, and the cast gave it a good try, but they were dragging a safe with the plots.

The lack was a proper villain.  Except for the late Bill Paxton no Marvel show has had an interesting villain.

24 minutes ago, Old Man said:

AoS didn't get interesting until almost the end of Season 1.  I was compelled to follow it through the Hydra/Gideon Malick storyline, but fell off after that.  I hear good things, but the only show I even sort of have time to follow is Orville, and then only because I DVR the hell out of it.  I'd also love to keep watching Vikings and Last Kingdom and Gifted and Legion and so on, but there's no way.

Good choice for watching The Orville.  Agents of SHIELD was crazy to let Adrienne Palicki go.

Fisk is a good villain, very interesting and well done.  Other than that, though, not really.  I mean they're setting up Jigsaw to show up in Punisher, but while I liked some of Power Man (sorry Luke Cage) it really didn't have any good bad guys.  I mean Cottonmouth was pretty interesting as a person but no particular threat.  I liked the evil politician woman as a bad guy but she was just annoying, not dangerous.  I couldn't stand Jessica Jones so I don't even care what Tennant was like.

I agree that Fisk and Kilgrave were amazing villains. Kilgrave was especially effective as a villain. And while I personally felt he had to die, it was nevertheless a shame to lose him. I felt that the villains of Luke Cage were mostly lame and uninteresting; the stakes were just too small and inconsequential to get me to care about what was going on. And the less said about Iron Fist, the better.

The main "villain" in Punisher is basically Corrupt Government Official #16 (Rawlins), which is a trope that I just feel is completely played out by now. It is only because I really like the cast and the quality of the writing (despite the paint-by-numbers plot) that I give Punisher a passing grade.

So yes, I agree that nearly all superhero shows (not just Marvel's) suffer from the problem of having a bland or cheesy villain (season after season). But Marvel has had some truly standout villains they can feel good about.