Cassandra

The Coming Epic Failure of the DC Movie Universe

22 minutes ago, Pattern Ghost said:

Setting aside the atrocious fake muscles...

A lot of discussion on the Internet right now since the release of those photos on whether they're real or fake (surprise, surprise). Some of the discussion and examples pro and con:

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a19299808/zachary-levi-shazam-set-photos-costume/

To be fair to Levi, I think he did put on an impressive amount of muscle for the part. One article I read (but can't find now), has a video of him doing one handed rows with an 80 lb dumbbell, and his arms are pretty impressive in that. I think he'd have been fine without any extra padding. Kind of makes me wonder just how over the top they're going to be.  (Though it'd be hard for them to match the pure silliness of the pre-DC Captain Marvel comics.)

Chris Reeve stated that when he was first cast as Superman he weighed 189 lb. at 6'4". They actually built a fake muscle suit for him to wear, but his pride wouldn't take that. Instead he worked out intensively under David Prowse for two months, and put on thirty pounds of muscle.

2 hours ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

These days Christopher Reeve looks positively anemic next to how Superman is potrayed in the comics.  He's bigger than the original Hulk.

Humans are just more swole nowadays.

only-the-rock.jpg

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

Agreed, but that's one factor among 4-5 others.  Wrong stories, weak villains, poor universe building, wrong director, completely misreading what people like about the heroes, etc.

PS:  For Wonder Woman, only weak villain applies from the above.

I think one problem is, I don't think of ares as the villain of Wonder Woman. I think of the German general and Doctor poison.

10 hours ago, Starlord said:

Agreed, but that's one factor among 4-5 others.  Wrong stories, weak villains, poor universe building, wrong director, completely misreading what people like about the heroes, etc.

PS:  For Wonder Woman, only weak villain applies from the above.

And that really only once Ares put on his videogame armor and started fighting. Thewliss did a great job right up to the moment he blew up that guard tower, as did Danny Houston throughout his parts of the movie.

10 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

And I'm happy about it. :D

Ditto here. I'd have preferred faithful rendition of the Alex Ross look, but this is closer than I thought we'd get. He's recognizable as Captain Marvel.

5 hours ago, slikmar said:

I think one problem is, I don't think of ares as the villain of Wonder Woman. I think of the German general and Doctor poison.

I think the real villain of Wonder Woman was war. Or more generally, Man's inhumanity to Man. (As in the species, not the gender.) As Ares said, he only facilitated our natural tendencies. General Ludendorff and Dr. Poison were just symptoms of our racial failings. The whole movie showed we don't need villains to cause evil.

24 minutes ago, Lord Liaden said:

I think the real villain of Wonder Woman was war. Or more generally, Man's inhumanity to Man. (As in the species, not the gender.) As Ares said, he only facilitated our natural tendencies. General Ludendorff and Dr. Poison were just symptoms of our racial failings. The whole movie showed we don't need villains to cause evil.

Villains?  We don't need no stinking villains!  :winkgrin:

14 hours ago, Old Man said:

Humans are just more swole nowadays.

only-the-rock.jpg

Left: This is your Rock. Right: This is your Rock on steriods. Don't do steroids.

2 hours ago, zslane said:

Left: This is your Rock. Right: This is your Rock on steriods. Don't do steroids.

The Rock Bench Press: 405 lbs

The Rock 2017 Acting Income: $65 million

"Don't do steroids"