DC Movies- if at first you don't succeed...

Cassandra

2 hours ago, Lord Liaden said:

Would it be fair to say you liked and approved of Captain America's USO show costume in The First Avenger? Because that was nearly as close to the comic-book original as it's possible to get.

No, that would not be fair to say. The USO costume was meant to look like a cheap off-Broadway costume, purely for its humor value, and they succeeded there.

I feel that you have to adapt his classic costume in much the same way you have to adapt Spidey's costume. You add some texture, maybe some light armor elements (more kevlar, less plates and pads), and tone down the blue a bit like they did for Spidey, but not as dark as it has progressed since Avengers. The key will be in how you do the face mask, but I am convinced it can be done without it looking silly or cheesy.

1 hour ago, Lord Liaden said:

I firmly agree, but it took Evans a while to get there. He's on record as saying he was uncomfortable with the super-suit in The First Avenger. Not just the actual costume, but that he was the only one dressed in such a manner.

To be fair, Iron Man was in his brightly-colored armor and Hulk was suitably green. However, Thor and Hawkeye were put into more "Ultimates" style costumes while Cap was not, and that mismatch was definitely a bit awkward. They should have either ditched the notion of giving Cap his classic look (and gone with something more like his Winter Soldier outfit), or they should have given Thor and Hawkeye more classic 616 style costumes. This mix-and-match nonsense is just poor overall aesthetic execution, IMO.

If Evans' discomfort came through in the first Cap movie, it came across (to me at least) as essential to the character of Steve Rogers being uncomfortable with the showmanship and notoriety of Cap, rather than any issue of actor and outfit

I agree, I think dislike for the look is causing him to read this into the portrayal.  I thought it looked great, myself and that it totally worked.  So did audiences, who loved the movie and the character.

I am convinced that footage is simply stunt-rehearsal footage, and not actual shot footage.

I'd think so, except I'm reasonably sure that Kristin Wiig can't jump that high on her own.

34 minutes ago, Christopher R Taylor said:

I agree, I think dislike for the look is causing him to read this into the portrayal.  I thought it looked great, myself and that it totally worked.  So did audiences, who loved the movie and the character.

Image result for the first avenger

Yeah... my favorites are the third and the fifth... though the seventh, Civil War, is great. It will be really telling how they decide to costume him in Avengers: 4, which is likely his last portrayal by Evans.

Still, like 'em or not, every single one of these evokes "Captain America." The fourth one just looks silly (in some ways sillier than the USO version, to be honest).

22 minutes ago, zslane said:

Yeah, well covering his ears without putting the full wings on the headpiece was a bad call.

Have we seen one with the head-wings that isn't the USO? I get it that it isn't smart design, and maybe would look dumb, but I'd like to see them try. Small, relatively close to the head, extended wings. Even if they were just raised, silver, wing shaped bumps near the temples?  I have to imagine the costume designers have tried that in various ways behind the scenes. I'd like to someday see the attempts.

7 hours ago, RDU Neil said:

The obsession with costume detail is weird to me.

That sounds like a you problem. :P

Do you look at that costume and see Captain Marvel? I sure as heck do... what else matters?

I agree. I'm generally OK with movie costumes if they evoke the basic look AND feel of the character. The Shazam! costume is serviceable on both levels, IMO.

Stitching? Foil embroidery? What is this, a sewing club? 

These matter. If you can't tell that the giant lightning bolt on the chest is a lightning bolt because it has a similar-colored border, then it doesn't really evoke the character. So, yes, it matters. The stitching and metallic accessories matter for the reasons I stated above.

Generally, I'm OK with movie costumes as long as they don't have Bat-nipples. Doesn't mean I won't comment on the details.

On 7/12/2018 at 10:32 AM, RDU Neil said:

There is a reason that he and RDJ and Hemsworth and Johansson (and I'd add Boseman to that now)... are worth their weight in gold to these franchises. They just imbue the screen with the presence of character, in or out of costume that is compelling in every scene. Gadot did that in Wonder Woman, but you could argue that is another issue with DC... none of the other actors in any way make that work. 

I'd argue that Cavill has embodied Superman about as well as Gadot has Wonder Woman, he just hasn't been blessed with as good writing and direction. He manages to pull off the feel of it actually being Superman on screen better than anyone since Christopher Reeve IMHO, and the only time I've had a problem with his acting (as opposed to a problem with what the script asked him to do) was that "Do you bleed?" moment in Justice League when his accent seemed to get away from him. I also thought Ray Fisher did a great job as Cyborg, actually good enough to erase my objections to a Teen Titans character being featured as one of the League's founders rather than Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern.

On 7/12/2018 at 1:27 PM, Christopher R Taylor said:

I'd think so, except I'm reasonably sure that Kristin Wiig can't jump that high on her own.

I feel confident that if you'd shone a spotlight on the wall of the SNL set 30 feet up she'd have been able to jump into it as if she were in a wuxia film.

46 minutes ago, Matt the Bruins said:

I also thought Ray Fisher did a great job as Cyborg, actually good enough to erase my objections to a Teen Titans character being featured as one of the League's founders rather than Martian Manhunter or Green Lantern.

Agreed! In fact, Ray Fisher's Cyborg was the one (and for me, only) area where the movie truly shined.

I thought Ben Affleck did a fine job playing an older, somewhat grizzled and jaded Batman. It's too bad that he didn't get to play Batman in better films, and that the gig was only ever intended to be a very short one for him (he never wanted to play the caped crusader for more than a movie or two).

Cavill isn't bad as Superman, but he doesn't really bring anything to the role, IMO. He's such a dial tone that about the most positive thing I can think of to say is that I can't think of anything that terribly negative to say.

For me, the true standouts in the DCEU so far have been Gal Gadot and Ray Fisher. Don't get me wrong, I thought Margot Robbie did a fine job playing Harley, but she wasn't given the best material to work with either, and I honestly don't feel her Harley would have garnered half the (enduring) attention it has if it hadn't been for the outfit she wore.

On 7/12/2018 at 12:24 PM, RDU Neil said:

Image result for the first avenger

Yeah... my favorites are the third and the fifth... though the seventh, Civil War, is great. It will be really telling how they decide to costume him in Avengers: 4, which is likely his last portrayal by Evans.

Still, like 'em or not, every single one of these evokes "Captain America." The fourth one just looks silly (in some ways sillier than the USO version, to be honest).

He looks puffy in the last one.

Those cowl necklines are not friends to someone with a rounded jaw. Once the cowl was off Evans was suitably commanding and iconic, but with it on he was someone's dad dressing up for Halloween in a costume from Wal-Mart. Returning him to the helmet w/chin strap look from the first movie was a very wise move.

Affleck actually has the Easter Island moa-esque bone structure you need to pull that style off, but gaining 30 lbs. between principal photography and reshoots made it look like Batman was Vince Vaughn after a month-long bender in Vegas in some scenes.