Food, Glorious Food

tkdguy

• 4 weeks later...

These are City prices though, aren't they? Costs money to truck stuff in, yadda yadda...$1.50 looks real expensive but it's in the city...

The menu is for the dining car on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Not sure how that would affect prices compared to say, Joe's Diner on 5th.*

I love how even the train dining car gives the impression of elegant fine dining. I was surprised to see they had the waiter's name printed at the top of the menu, since printing wasn't as trivially easy as it is today. But I guess it makes sense they would have to print a new menu for each trip, based on what food they actually had available that week, and your waiter's going to be the same for the whole trip anyway.

* Genre rule: there's always a Joe's Diner on 5th.

The menu is for the dining car on the Pennsylvania Railroad. Not sure how that would affect prices compared to say, Joe's Diner on 5th.*

I love how even the train dining car gives the impression of elegant fine dining. I was surprised to see they had the waiter's name printed at the top of the menu, since printing wasn't as trivially easy as it is today. But I guess it makes sense they would have to print a new menu for each trip, based on what food they actually had available that week, and your waiter's going to be the same for the whole trip anyway.

* Genre rule: there's always a Joe's Diner on 5th.

Ah, yes railroad dining car would also be on the "pricey" side. One reason for the waiters name would be lack of turnover, rail jobs tend to be for "life". I'm partial to "Rose's" but Joe's has better specials...

• 2 months later...

I was surprised to see they had the waiter's name printed at the top of the menu, since printing wasn't as trivially easy as it is today.

Actually, I think the names of waiter at the top and head steward at the very bottom aren't printed as part of the menu; those are rubber stamp impressions. Getting a rubber stamp to order wasn't that expensive (though it took a week or two if the work was done elsewhere) ... I got one for myself (to stamp my name in books) back in the 1970s.

Actually, I think the names of waiter at the top and head steward at the very bottom aren't printed as part of the menu; those are rubber stamp impressions. Getting a rubber stamp to order wasn't that expensive (though it took a week or two if the work was done elsewhere) ... I got one for myself (to stamp my name in books) back in the 1970s.

Ah, I hadn't caught that, but looking at it again I believe you're right. Good eye!