Champions Begins - the GM Starter pack

Christopher R Taylor

That reminds me of my first time playing champions. The gm handed me the character sheet, but didn't really explain anything. Seeing numbers ranging from 18 to 60I was unsure what a high stat was. So were playing along and the bad guys are setting off a bomb. As I figured I was playing a dumb brick, after all if stats went to 60 18 couldn't have been a good int, My first thought was to suppress the bomb with my own body. The guy sitting next to me got an what an idiot smile on their face, and said they wouldn't. So I reconsidered and the gm took 5 minutes explaining the terrible injuries people suffered from it.

As I understand it, Champions and various characters may be used by Hero Games as they have co-ownership with Cryptic (but probably different spheres, such as print being Hero and computer gaming stuff Cryptic).

I want to avoid danger room style scenarios just because I want the setting to establish and enforce heroism and doing good deeds at personal expense, rather than practicing against stuff without anything to gain or lose.  If its a game inside a game, players do not learn to be heroic or enjoy the various themes of comic books.

There is no co-ownership. Cryptic/Perfect World owns the IP outright. Hero Games has a license in perpetuity to publish RPG products using the IP but like all licenses, such products need to be approved by the owner of the IP. Now, if the product does not use the Champions name or the Champions Universe IP, then I believe the product does not require Cryptic approval. Note, for example, that the Kickstarter material on Aaron Allston's Strike Force only mentions the Hero System not Champions.

At least, that's my understanding of the situation but as I mentioned earlier, you probably want to clarify the situation with Jason Walters.

I think using bigdamnhero's type of character sheet with text descriptions of abilities, background, and image for players to choose their characters, then give them one with stats and numbers once they have their choice.

Thats all well and good but that may not suffice for everyone. Im the type thst has to so it in action to make sense. Reading about it just doesn't click.

Just have to get their OK, not exactly tough. I can't imagine why they'd say no.

Well, Perfect World is focused on the computer game, so if they don't see any benefits for the computer game, they might not give their OK. Cryptic might of been OK with it, but now as they are part of a bigger company, who knows.

we can write and work on it all we want, its just best to get permission before putting something out.

Except some people may not want to even work on something if there's a decent chance that work will be in vain.

As to it benefiting the computer game, one could point out that a product such as this that increases the Champions (rpg) player base would likely result in bringing some of those new players into the computer game as well. 

I'll just say I am not at all worried about a copyright infringement lawsuit.  Using the name "Champions" isn't a big deal to me.  You could just as easily call it "A super-hero adventure for the Hero System".  I'm going to keep poking at things, fiddling with Hero Designer files, and putting stuff together when I'm bored and feel like messing with it.  I like doing that sort of thing anyway.  If I get to the point where an adventure is almost complete, I'll probably post the stuff here and see what everyone thinks.  I can do pretty much everything on my own except for artwork.  If I post it, and it inspires anyone who can draw, I'll happily work with them to put together a final product.  If not, oh well.

I've been building the Nest Leader from Viper's Nest (in Hero Designer) and have a question.

On P. 210 of Champions Complete at the bottom of the page it has Find Weakness.  Armor Piercing (+1/4) for up to 60 Active Points in character's attack (15 Active points); Requires An Analyse Roll (-1/2). Real Cost 10 CP.

When I build this in HD, I can add an 11-less roll for the -1/2, but if I buy this character the Analyze Skill defined as combat, his intelligence makes it a 12-less roll. (no way to lower the analyze skill).  Does he get FW on an 11- or a 12-?? Or does he have to make two rolls? one to Analyze and one to activate the power?

If I change the 11- part of the roll to a 12-, the limitation goes from -1/2 to -1/4

I will also post this in the HD forum, thanks for any enlightenment in advance!!

I'm fine with Diamond Spear being the one that keeps people on track and focused, organizing who does what, etc.  I can be the editor and do some writing and art.  If need be, I can do layouts and publishing work as well, I have quite a bit of experience with that and have a little business that does publishing.

I vote for a reboot of Deathstroke, myself.  One of the ways new players can learn to design characters is to check out how other characters are designed, so they can see what can and cannot be done with the game, and get their own ideas for builds and powersets.

Plus, on a sentimental level, I was fond of the Villains & Vigilantes introductory adventure Crisis At Crusader Citadel.  I think something like that would work really well for Champions.