Need More HERO

Joe Walsh

So with my latest booty, here is my current physical collection put in order of HERO#/DOJHERO# where possible:

post-2288-0-12451800-1462249994.jpg

post-2288-0-13441400-1462250154.jpg

post-2288-0-07219100-1462250246.jpg

post-2288-0-06924000-1462250326.jpg

post-2288-0-13567100-1462250395.jpg

post-2288-0-10502500-1462250505.jpg

And here's my immediate wishlist for now that will need to wait on finances and more shelf space for the time being:

4e
Champions Deluxe Hardback ?

5e
Lucha Libre Hero (Book+PDF) $15.00
Alien Wars (Book+PDF) $13.50
Terran Empire Book $12.50
Worlds Of Empire (Book+PDF) $9.50

6e
Kazei 5 (Book+PDF) $39.00
The Widening Gyre (Book+PDF) $24.95
Narosia: Sea of Tears Fantasy RPG (Book + PDF) $34.99
Terracide (Book+ PDF) $24.95
The Fires of Heaven (Book+PDF) $24.95

HM :hex:

post-2288-0-12451800-1462249994_thumb.jpg

post-2288-0-13441400-1462250154_thumb.jpg

post-2288-0-07219100-1462250246_thumb.jpg

post-2288-0-06924000-1462250326_thumb.jpg

post-2288-0-13567100-1462250395_thumb.jpg

post-2288-0-10502500-1462250505_thumb.jpg

Very, very nice, HM! And it looks like the books are generally in great condition, too.

The explanation of the package routing problems makes sense. Still, you'd think there'd be a human in there somewhere who could stop stupid stuff like that from happening. All that misrouting wasted USPS's money, so you'd think they'd spend a little to avoid those sorts of situations...just someone to spot obvious weirdness, such as a package being routed back and forth across the country.

Still, I'm glad you finally got it! Now all you have to do is read them all and write reviews. =P

...Now all you have to do is read them all and write reviews. =P

Aghh!!

Book Reports are my Kryptonite! ;)

I'll have to think about it. I'm my own worst critic when it comes to that kind of writing.  When I've read other various HERO book reviews I always think about just how many good writers are out there and how I am not one of them.

:D

HM

How many folks here have a membership over at rpggeek.com?

It's a great place to keep an online inventory of what HERO stuff you have as well as what you want to get.

http://rpggeek.com/collection/user/HyperMan?rankobjecttype=subtype&rankobjectid=16&columns=title|thumbnail|status|version|postdate|rating|bggrating|comment&geekranks=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09RPG+Item+Rank%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&objecttype=thing&ff=1&subtype=rpgitem

You can also see the organization of the various HERO family editions over the years:

http://rpggeek.com/rpgfamily/993/hero

example pic from further down the page linked above:

post-2288-0-24212500-1462641750_thumb.jpg

:)

HM

Here is the list of HERO products compiled by Derek Hiemforth last updated in 2008.

https://web.archive.org/web/20101130192140/http://rhinobunny.com/derek/hero/herogameslist.html

Although it's out of date it still has more granular detail than the wiki page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Hero_System_Products

HM

Funny! I say that because my idea of the perfect RPG system entails exactly one book ... of 400 pages or less... resting on a coffee table with no other materials around it. That's actually -why- I was drawn to Champions: 1st through 3rd Editions were tiny and 4th Edition ended up being exactly what I was looking for, as one book absolutely could do it all.

I think it got kind of ridiculous with 5th Edition (too big) .... and the 2-volume 6th set is absurd in its verbosity ... so colour me pleased to see Champions Complete, since it was a return to what I felt Hero System should be. You just shouldn't need a crate of books or a directory full of PDF's to play any RPG, IMHO.

With Hero, you only ever need the main book. Everything else is superfluous. I think the 6th edition being two volumes was a mistake. But hey, whatever you need to do to sell more books.

The D&D tradition of breaking up the core rules material into a player's book and a GM's book has always been unnecessary structurally. It was done originally (for AD&D, I mean) because it was a way of releasing the material as it became ready for publication. However, ever since then, game rules have been written and edited as a single work, and the practice of breaking it up into two volumes is just a way to make the core rules cost player's a good 50% more than they should.

While the Complete books may have become a wee bit abridged for some folks' taste, the fundamental notion that the Hero System (core rulebook) can be, and ought to be streamlined and refocused on its essentials is a righteous one, IMO.

The reason I'm going to release a two part Players/GM book for Jolrhos Fantasy Hero is less about money or steady release, but about approach.

The Player's book has information about building characters, basic rules and play, and simple information about the world.  The intro to Fantasy Hero, in this campaign setting: 101

The GM book is about the world more in depth, running games, tips on combat and campaigning, scenario concepts, using the system, etc.  The advanced stuff, rules and info the players don't need to know.

I'm probably going to create a set of characters to kickstart play as well.

So the two-book concept actually makes a lot of sense, particularly for a fantasy setting.

I'm one of those guys that companies tend to dislike.  I have the core book for 4th along with a Fantasy Hero Companion II and III, 5th ed. core book with Ultimate Martial Artist and Fantasy Hero.  That's it.  I can say the same of any other RPG systems that I GM or play with though: I get the core books needed, and unless the material is something that I used repeatedly and often, that's all I work with, and pretty much never setting related stuff.  That last is just more fun to come up with on your own.

Does anyone know for sure if there was a Boxed Set version as well as a softcover version of Danger International?

I seem to recall that there was but I only own the softcover version and I can't find any conclusive evidence of the other*.

*I am trying to clean up the HERO database over on rpggeek which has 2 entries.

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/150073/danger-international

http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/47980/soft-cover

I know this is the case with Champions 3rd Edition:

Softcover: http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/47791/champions-3rd-edition

Boxed Set:  http://rpggeek.com/rpgitem/124106/champions-3rd-edition

Thanks!

:hex: HM

So with my latest booty, here is my current physical collection put in order of HERO#/DOJHERO# where possible:

And here's my immediate wishlist for now that will need to wait on finances and more shelf space for the time being:

4e

Champions Deluxe Hardback ?

5e

Lucha Libre Hero (Book+PDF) $15.00

Alien Wars (Book+PDF) $13.50

Terran Empire Book $12.50

Worlds Of Empire (Book+PDF) $9.50

6e

Kazei 5 (Book+PDF) $39.00

The Widening Gyre (Book+PDF) $24.95

Narosia: Sea of Tears Fantasy RPG (Book + PDF) $34.99

Terracide (Book+ PDF) $24.95

The Fires of Heaven (Book+PDF) $24.95

HM :hex:

I can mark a few more off the wishlist thanks to Ebay and Amazon:

The 3 highlighted above plus A Companion to Superworld which has arrived!

Now I need to consider upgrading my bookshelf as I am not sure I'll be able to make room for the 3 remaining 5e books published by Hero Games let alone anything else (a good problem to have). 

I also need to make sure Jason is aware of the shipping label issue with the Jacksonville USPS office before ordering anything directly through Hero Games again.

Finally, here are links what I currently own, my wishlist and Random Images from my gaming collection.

;) HM

Does anyone know for sure if there was a Boxed Set version as well as a softcover version of Danger International?

I don't own one and I've never personally seen one myself, but the PDF at this link is a scan of a 1985 Hero Games holiday mailer, and it references a limited box set of Danger International which included the regular softcover book, the older Border Crossing adventure, the classic double-sided Hero Games street map with hex grids (the same one from the Champions box sets), a poster, three dice, and a free sample copy of Adventurers Club magazine.  It doesn't seem like this "Deluxe" set of DI was ever made available through normal retail channels.  Note that the order form on the next to last page of the PDF is identical to the one found in the DI book itself, except it has been further marked up to reflect what is being offered in the mailer.

• 4 weeks later...

No new purchases other than the recent Kickstarter stuff but I have reorganized the bookshelves so there is actually room to add new stuff.

post-2288-0-22040700-1465968986_thumb.jpg

All the stuff on the right side of the 2nd shelf from the bottom is duplicate 1e-4e stuff that I haven't figured out how to get rid of yet.  I would like to sell it and get a reasonable amount of money but I doubt I would get nearly as much value selling as one lot vs. individual or smaller sub-groups. I really dread the time and effort it will take to mail the stuff as well. I'm half tempted to box it all up and take it down to the local FLGS and see what I can get. 

HM

The list of extra's hasn't really changed from what I showed in post 6 of this thread.

I really don't want to have to split this up into multiple sales.  I'll leave out Heroes Unlimited though. :)

The binding on this copy of 4e Champions has just about had it.

The spine of this Super Agents looks like somebody tried to tear it in half (you can just see the start of the tear in the pic below).

The H300 with bad lighting is San Angelo: City of Heroes for those unfamiliar with the book.

post-2288-0-12837700-1457839835.jpg

post-2288-0-76054000-1457839853.jpg

HM