Need More HERO

Joe Walsh

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

With Hero, you only ever need the main book. Everything else is superfluous. I think the 6th edition being two volumes was a mistake. But hey, whatever you need to do to sell more books.

I really wish that Hero would release, if only in PDF, the rules extracted from Champions or Fantasy Hero complete and call it the Hero 6th Edition: Abridged or something. An easy reference instead of slogging through two big books (or PDFs) to find what you want. I will say that the Index at the end of either of the main books is very useful, but a quicker reference in the form of a smaller, single book would be something I'd throw more cash at.

My goal is a complete collection of first-party physical publications. I'm very selective with third-party stuff and the PDF-only stuff.

though until fairly recently there hasn't been a ton of third party material available for Hero. Probably an artifact of them being owned by ICE for awhile and the Palladium vs WotC lawsuit.

Pretty much all of the third party stuff was good. I can't think of a single product that was "Bad".

The early PDF were all pretty decent products too.

The later more modern stuff has also been decent to great. Depending on buyer taste mostly.

• 2 weeks later...

Back in 2014 I went through a major Lulu phase, pulling together PDFs and making "deluxe" hardcovers for many things. Only a couple of them were Hero System related. Among the other books I had made was this deluxe hardcover collection of the old FASERIP books:

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

These are fat hardcovers with full-color interior pages. Each one cost me about as much as a brand new college textbook, and that's after applying a substantial discount. The fun part was designing the cover graphics and, of course, seeing the final product in all its glory.

I'm betting that you've got them from the same place where I've got HD V2; Noble knight Games

• 3 months later...

I assume you're talking about stuff you can find out there in acceptable condition at an acceptable price. In that case, I'd go for the stuff that's rarer rather than stuff I can still buy brand new from the publisher...unless it's stuff the publisher looks about to run out of.

• 3 months later...

Here's a curious thing I just noticed. My three BBBs are all different, but all claim to be first printing!

The one on the left is the one I've always had. I bought it as soon as it arrived at my FLGS back in '89. I believe it is a true first print run book. It has held up extremely well over the years (tho I do take good care of my books).  The other two are additional copies I acquired over the years.  Notice the middle and left-hand ones have different positioning of the stock number (400) in the stripe at the top. Unseen in the photo is the difference between the middle and last volumes: the last one has significantly thicker pages.

They must have gone through several print runs, perhaps with different print houses, but never did get around to incorporating the errata (all show Climbing as being 9+(STR/5), for example).

post-2197-0-43008800-1494784413_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

At last, I have all the 1e stuff (click to enlarge the photos):

post-2197-0-42616200-1495827836_thumb.jpg

That GM screen was hard to find!

This is probably old hat to everyone else, but it was new to me: there are at least two versions of Adventure 2: Escape from Stronghold. You can easily tell which is which because the later printing is slightly smaller, causing the front cover image to have a "zoomed in" appearance if you compare the right-hand sides:

post-2197-0-16653500-1495827876_thumb.jpg

But more importantly, the newer one's booklet is stapled into the cover, and the inside of the cover is blank -- no map!

post-2197-0-91120600-1495827899_thumb.jpg

Just thought I'd mention it in case anyone else was getting into HERO System's history.

I really wish that Hero would release, if only in PDF, the rules extracted from Champions or Fantasy Hero complete and call it the Hero 6th Edition: Abridged or something. An easy reference instead of slogging through two big books (or PDFs) to find what you want. I will say that the Index at the end of either of the main books is very useful, but a quicker reference in the form of a smaller, single book would be something I'd throw more cash at.

Personally, I think they should make two small rules books.  The HERO rule book and everything but Powers in it similar to Champions Complete and a HERO Powers rule book, with just rules for making powers, vehicles, and bases.  Then, if they want to make a new campaign supplement, they include the small HERO rulebook or both with the campaign book.  If people already have the rules, they can sell the campaign book by itself.

Say someone wants to make an Indiana Jones campaign module.  They just bundle the HERO rulebook with the Campaign book.  The campaign book would have all the villains, weapons, special vehicles and bases, and any special powers as set costs.  Older players who do not want the excess rules, don't have to buy the rules all over again.  Newer players get a rule set they can use without extra detail they don't need.  Later, after the honeymoon phase with the RPG is over and they find they have found true love, they can simply buy the Powers book.

This is probably old hat to everyone else, but it was new to me: there are at least two versions of Adventure 2: Escape from Stronghold. You can easily tell which is which because the later printing is slightly smaller, causing the front cover image to have a "zoomed in" appearance if you compare the right-hand sides:

[snip]

But more importantly, the newer one's booklet is stapled into the cover, and the inside of the cover is blank -- no map!

Good to know, GM Joe!  According to http://towerofzenopus.blogspot.com/2012/08/old-school-champions-1st-edition-2nd.html, a similar situation exists for Adventure 1: The Island of Dr. Destroyer.  There also seem to have been multiple versions of 1e Champions itself (see this older thread that I started: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/88322-different-printings-of-champions-1st-edition/).

Good to know, GM Joe!  According to http://towerofzenopus.blogspot.com/2012/08/old-school-champions-1st-edition-2nd.html, a similar situation exists for Adventure 1: The Island of Dr. Destroyer.  There also seem to have been multiple versions of 1e Champions itself (see this older thread that I started: http://www.herogames.com/forums/topic/88322-different-printings-of-champions-1st-edition/).

I'd wondered whether there was a Dr. Destroyer version without the map. Thank you for pointing that out!

I decided to make some adjustments to my collection. I am now 100% PDF-only for the old sixth edition line (not for the CC/FC line). I came to the realization that it is simply occasional reference material for me, yet people will pay good money for it. So I decided to take the money and allow someone else to more fully enjoy it.

Also, earlier this year I reversed my policy on third-party books from the 1e-4e era and have begun purchasing them when I can find them in great condition for an inexpensive price. Many of those books are quite good, as was said upthread. I'm enjoying them immensely.

I realize that the above two statements are somewhat at odds, but I never claimed to be consistent. :)

I like to have extras for people to use/borrow, plus I bought a couple replacements when my original copies started to fall apart (the 6E books and the 4E books had that in common--a problem with the binding coming unglued). Personally, I'd love it if my players would have bought copies for their own use, but as it was I had to practically drag some of them kicking and screaming into the light of HERO... They're smart people, good gamers, but they have a tough time grokking the way the game works. 

Well, if you ever feel the need to unburden yourself of some of those triplicates, please let me know! I've been using .pdfs and would love some actual bound copies for the table.