Is there a better way...

Amorkca

Hi All

I've created a character that I want to be invulnerable,  I've currently purchased it as -15 DC's Physical Damage Negation and -10 DC's Energy Damage Negation.

In the past I would have used fairly high PD/ED resistant and 75% damage reduction.  

Any thoughts?

with the -15 DC's physical DN, she could fall from a great height and walk away...

I've left her open to mental attacks on purpose.

Damage negation is so messy.  I hate it.

I stick with the tried and true high defense and damage reduction.  It covers all scenarios - including being subjected to really high damage move through attacks, falling from orbit, or being hit by a LAW rocket - a genre staple for a tough character (40 DC that would barely tickle a character with 30 resistant PD and 75% damage reduction- even if they didn't have hardened on their PD).

There's also a 100% damage reduction in one of the advanced power guides (can't recall which - probably GM) for 120 points that, for obvious reasons, isn't recommended for characters. I've occasionally broken it out for simplicity's sake for certain enemy types.  For example I used it to make an air elemental with regards to physical attacks (though it had susceptible: magic so a magic sword would do damage to it) - much cleaner than an always on Desolidification (though it did have limited Desolidifcation too) and affects physical world on everything.

Nah, just count damage as for Explosion -- eliminate the highest rolled dice first.

That's certainly a quick method but I think it would make the power TOO good.  A more accurate method is to alternate between taking the highest and lowest dice off. Of course that doesn't work very well with Explosion attacks.  In that case I would recommend using different color dice to account for the Damage Negation and just don't count those for that character.  Only gets tricky if you have multiple PC's with DN.

:)

HM

Hi All

I've created a character that I want to be invulnerable,  I've currently purchased it as -15 DC's Physical Damage Negation and -10 DC's Energy Damage Negation.

In the past I would have used fairly high PD/ED resistant and 75% damage reduction.  

Any thoughts?

with the -15 DC's physical DN, she could fall from a great height and walk away...

I've left her open to mental attacks on purpose.

The real trick here is defining what it means to be invulnerable.

Does it mean they feel no pain below a certain threshold?

Or does it mean they do not sustain permanent injury beyond a certain threshold?

Notice that I did not use HERO terms in my questions but it's still fairly obvious what I was getting at (STUN vs. BODY).

I decided that the core of my rookie Superman's invulnerability would be the latter and built it with multiple static and framework slot abilities.  There is an HTML export available to view if you click on the Download button following the link. Having a copy of Hero Designer is NOT necessary to view it.

HM

The way I've thought of her, she just ignores the effects of damage to her person, I haven't actually brought the character into play yet, But hope to in the next few weeks.

Imagine the shock of a hero who fails to protect her from say a gun shot, but she stands up without a mark (except in her clothing).  Her role is still being defined as well, is she heroic? Villainess? or just someone wanting to live their life without getting in on the hero/villain trope..

I think you need an idea of just how invulnerable the person is.  Are they unhurt when they get shot by a gun?  Hit by a car?  Thrown through a building?  What happens if Grond haymakers her in the face?  Or if a nuclear bomb goes off?  Can she survive being hit by the Death Star superlaser?  You need to know just how resilient you want her to be.

If this is a noncombatant NPC, you don't really need a power writeup.  You're not going to be showing the players her character sheet.  Just know how you want it to work, and then define it that way.

DN is awkward when i used against area affect attacks that involve other targets

Nah, just count damage as for Explosion -- eliminate the highest rolled dice first.

That's certainly a quick method but I think it would make the power TOO good.  A more accurate method is to alternate between taking the highest and lowest dice off. Of course that doesn't work very well with Explosion attacks.  In that case I would recommend using different color dice to account for the Damage Negation and just don't count those for that character.  Only gets tricky if you have multiple PC's with DN.

HM

Or just use different colored dice...

12D6 Explosion; Character A has 3DC DN; Character B has 5 DC DN; Character C has no DN:

3 Red, 2 Blue, 7 White Dice = Character A takes White + Blues Dice; Character B takes White Dice; Character C takes all Dice.

Or just use different colored dice...

12D6 Explosion; Character A has 3DC DN; Character B has 5 DC DN; Character C has no DN:

3 Red, 2 Blue, 7 White Dice = Character A takes White + Blues Dice; Character B takes White Dice; Character C takes all Dice.

OK, that's just...easy! I usually just discard the "X" dice that fall furthest to the right or somesuch, but now I'm embarrassed I didn't think of this.

There is a 60 AP limit to the PCs. So giving 15 physical DN and 10 EN means she will ignore most direct damage aimed at her.

She's a bodyguard for a politician, her strength is in the 35 range and she has martial arts, I will run her as is and see how she fares.

Thanks for the input.