what could the next "Book of the....." be?

Bathawk1

Hey I know that it's harder than ever to get a pen & paper RPG book in print, at least not without the help of aickstart. And it worker with "Book of the Empress" to go along with "book of the Destroyer"and "book of the Machine" So for fun, if nothignelse, Iwas wondering what other "books" could be done? "organization books" like Demon and Viper are disqualified because organization books are nothing new.

Eurostar Manifesto: Right away I'm breaking one of my own rules as Eurostar is sometimes thought of as an "Organization" mainly be having more members than most superteams. But Eurostar dosen't have any "agents" and you can fit the entire group in a small school bus,so i'm counting them

--It would "collect" the missing members such as Pantera and Die Westgote

--- Provide stats for the "lost" members of both Eurostar and Terror Inc; (Giganto, Professor Muerte, Bora & The Whip)

---Description of Eurostars bases(s), vehicle(s) and support, even if they don't have "agents" surely they have a support staff, a medicalteam, and someone to fuel the jet....or dothe team members do this?

---  The world has changed since Eurostar was first in an enemies book. The Euro, The European Union.  Europe is far more unified than when Fiacho first started out. What does a terrorist do when his goals arealready met? And come to think of it, how much of European Unity is in response to Eurostar?

---Operation: Merovingian Mentioned in Enemies for Hire, this is an UNTIL profect designed for personal, weapons, and tactics specificly designed for taking Eurostar down

--The New Knights of the Round Table; As far as I know, only Bastion has been named, but from that alone I assume this is a different team than the one in the original "Kingdom of Champions". Though it should be noted that before the "current version" Eurostar had a former knight; "White Flame" as a member. So a write up of the team wouldn't be unwaranted, especialy since every member of Euostar has the New Knights as a member

---Tactics; Other than a reliance on killing attacks and a willingness to cause lots of collateral damage; what separates a "Super terrorist" like the members of Eurostar from that of a typical "Supervillan" team like the Ultimates?

---Book of the Tiger: Tiger Squad  With China becoming more and more a dominant Super power, I'm surprised these gusy haven't gotten more "press", a 40+ member team almost write itself. But there is of course more than that: the pro communisim vs. pro Democracy aspect, the relationship with Spirit Dragon/Dragonmaster. And How does a regime support colorful costumes and code names for it's heroes? a publicity stunt? How well do they treat their "heroes"? What if youdon't makethe grade, or want to leave the program?

Most importantsly, what do they do? shine the buttons on their uniforms and wait for an altercation with American super-heroes to come up? What are Chinese Super Villians like?

---Book of the Champions....wait what?a book about "the" champions? How would that work? well there have been a few lineups of those teams over the years. The Originals that started it all (Giant, Flare, icestar, Rose, Huntsman/Marksman, Gargoyle.....(and Dove?) ) (the additions from the comic "League of Champions" (Icicle and Poinsettia/Sparkplug), The 4th edition "examples (Seeker, Defender, Obsidian, Jaguar, Solitaire, Quantum) The "New millenium" versions (Solitaire, Quantum, Defender, Seeker, Behemoth) the "new" Champions(Defender, Witchcraft, Sapphire, Nighthawk, Nightwind,, Kinetic, Ironclad) not to mention those from Champions 3000

Think of it as a Justice League/Society mash-up showing Champions from across realities, heck if thee are Champions in the year 3000, what about other Time periods?the Old West? King Arthur? nah, too easy, show me The Champions of Egypt, or the Champions of Nobunaga!

Why stop with just the "classic" Homestead? Over the years the Avengers have lived in a Mansion, a floating artificial Island, a "bunker", a Tower, and a palatial Californian Estate. The Justice League had the "Secret Sanctuary" a Satellite, also a bunker, the Hall of Justice and the "Watchtower"....have the Champiosn always had the same base?, what happened to the old ones? are they occupied?Maybe some are used only on the alternate Earth Champions

---The Young/Teen Champions....'nuff said!

Any other ideas?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

---  The world has changed since Eurostar was first in an enemies book. The Euro, The European Union.  Europe is far more unified than when Fiacho first started out. What does a terrorist do when his goals are already met? And come to think of it, how much of European Unity is in response to Eurostar?

Europe united? Have you noticed how the various EU nations are all over the map on handling the Syrian refugee crisis? The Greek economic collapse? Russian aggression in Ukraine? Or how the United Kingdom will soon be holding a referendum on leaving the EU?

There's plenty of work left for a pro-Euro-unity terrorist to do.

Book of the Damned

That or "Book Of The Dead" would probably be the most appropriate titles for a volume on Takofanes, although either one would have a lot of drawbacks. But he would be my choice for the next master villain to be given that treatment. The Archlich is supposed to have armies of slaves and a lot of extra-dimensional real estate to store them in. He needs a few lesser-powered lieutenants as foes for heroes who aren't ready to face the Undying King himself. And we could use an official explanation for what Tak's long-term plans are, like what his seemingly-random rampages over the years are really leading up to.

I remember Steve Long posting that if he were to consider doing another "Book of..." it would be Book Of The Helix detailing Teleios. Personally I'm not sure his plans, operations, and facilities are numerous or diverse enough to warrant treatment in a full book, but I would have loved to see what Steve would come up with.

But to be honest, the next book in the Champions line I feel is needed was on the publication schedule before the Hero Games downsizing, Profit And Purity, detailing both ARGENT and the IHA. I know you suggested passing on organization books for this discussion, but IMHO both groups are long overdue for fleshing out.

The master villains we have left that I think merit "Book of" treatment would be:  Kinematik; the Slug (ya know I loves me some Elder Worm ;) ); Sunburst; Takofanes; Teleios; the Warlord. (Doctor Yin Wu would also qualify, but he should be saved for Martial Enemies.)

Or there could be a book I've discussed here on a couple of occasions, where we'd take 6-10 master villains not "big" enough to merit their own book, and put them in a one-per-chapter compilation. Teleios (and some others) could possibly be wedged in there as the lead-off and biggest chapter.

Mine is not the only voice in these decisions, of course, but I'd rather not do "Books of" focused on a team or organization. For one thing, I don't think most teams (including Eurostar, if not especially Eurostar) merit their own full book. For another, a book like that would have to be structured differently so I'd rather not compare apples and oranges (so to speak).

The master villains we have left that I think merit "Book of" treatment would be:  Kinematik; the Slug (ya know I loves me some Elder Worm ;) ); Sunburst; Takofanes; Teleios; the Warlord. (Doctor Yin Wu would also qualify, but he should be saved for Martial Enemies.)

I can't imagine what expansions you had in mind for Kinematik and Sunburst, to warrant treating them that way. To date they have only a small cadre of followers. (Mind you, I'd love to not have to imagine it.) :bounce:

Or there could be a book I've discussed here on a couple of occasions, where we'd take 6-10 master villains not "big" enough to merit their own book, and put them in a one-per-chapter compilation. Teleios (and some others) could possibly be wedged in there as the lead-off and biggest chapter.

I forgot about that proposal! That would be very neat. Might even be something you could release one "smaller" villain at a time in a PDF series, if there's no other practical way to put it out. Although I'm sure that wouldn't be your first preference any more than it would be mine.

Darn slow-coming lottery winnings! :angry:

I think as short, 96-page splat books groups like Eurostar could totally get their own book. Or PDFs.

Frankly, I'm tired of 200+ page hero books. The entire library is entirely too thick on the bookshelf. This system is entirely too verbose at times.

A Slug book would be cool to see though, that'd be interesting I think.

...the Slug (ya know I loves me some Elder Worm ;) );

Oh sure, now you talk about giving him more material - I just finished a mini-story arc with him as the Big Bad! :)

Honestly, I'd buy any of those mentioned (not just Steve's list), but I think my preference would be:

• Takofanes
  • The Slug
  • Tiger Squad (I know, you said no teams...)
  • ARGENT & IHA (I know, you said no organizations...)
  • Telios
  • The Warlord

• ARGENT & IHA (I know, you said no organizations...)

Well, to be precise, he said no "Book Of..." for organizations. Such books "would have to be structured differently." As I pointed out earlier, those two orgs were scheduled to appear in their own joint organization book before Hero Games hit the wall.

It's probably not in the cards, but now that I think of it a "Book Of Xarriel" could be stunning. (Probably need a better title, though.) This guy is the CU's answer to Thanos and Darkseid, probably the most powerful official villain actually given Hero stats, he rules an entire planet, and he aspires to conquer the Universe. But we've been given absolutely no details of his world, his subjects, or his schemes. He's so overwhelmingly mighty that without lesser-powered minions for PCs to fight instead, the only way to use him would be against whole teams of cosmic heroes.