Wonder Woman

Greywind

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the impossibility of finding an actress with the looks, the physique, and the acting chops to play Wonder Woman perfectly, Hollywood must compromise. If an actress can get into good physical shape (for their own body type), then not being 6" tall and Olympian in stature is the first and easiest thing to sacrifice in exchange for decent acting ability and a beautiful face that will look great on a poster (and on screen).

Take a look at the upcoming "X-Men: Apocalypse" film. Wolverine (Hugh Jackman) is going to be taller than Apocalypse (Oscar Isaac). Wolverine is a character known for being short (in fact, it shapes his personality) and Apocalypse is a character known for being tall (towering over all the X-Men, as a matter of fact). I've expressed my disapproval with this contrast.

Does this mean that I am "body-shaming" Mr. Isaac? Nope...I just like fidelity to iconic appearances/builds. These complaints are not slights against respective actors' builds or personalities.

BTW, every bit of leaked information points to Apocalypse only growing in size within a "battle in the center of the mind" sequence as opposed to reality, where he normally does.

Then there's the fact that this Apocalypse seems to be soft-spoken whereas Apocalypse in his major appearances (including the animated series, of course) has a booming, resonant voice that conveys his megalomaniacal nature. Ugh.

But Porkylips can grow, and apparently does in the trailer so his "actual" height is a non-issue.

Was a new trailer released?

Doesn't matter anyhow. His default form is easily NBA player height. Apocalypse isn't known for being a soft-spoken small dude.

Edit: I just saw the trailer. That mansion scene could very well be the "battle in the center of the mind" sequence (given that he's brawling with Xavier). If so, it does not count.

Are you body shaming Gal Gadot?  Absolutely not.

Can any woman who has ever existed play a great actress, who is 6 feet with huge breasts and has the body of an incredibly powerful fighter?  NO.  OBVIOUSLY.

Gal Gadot is fine...until she proves she cannot act.

Are you body shaming Gal Gadot?  Absolutely not.

Can any woman who has ever existed play a great actress, who is 6 feet with huge breasts and has the body of an incredibly powerful fighter?  NO.  OBVIOUSLY.

Gal Gadot is fine...until she proves she cannot act.

There are plenty of actors out in the wide world. Getting someone that can act is a non-issue. Finding the right actor to portray an iconic character's appearance is the challenge.

These continued excuses for the halfway attempts film studios churn out when adapting comic material (of all sorts, really...not just this particular IP) are tiring. They can do better...they should do better.

In general I believe there are many things that Hollywood fails at regularly. I have gone on record repeatedly expressing the opinion that Hollywood writers are mostly lazy, sloppy, mediocre hacks that don't deserve to be called writers. However, there are many things which are legitimately difficult to do in the realm of filmmaking. Casting humans as superheroes is one of them.

I have worked in film production; even spent some time working with a casting director. I can only suggest that before anyone gets too critical of Hollywood's inability to "accurately" cast comic book characters with actors who have the unusual physical dimensions of these characters and can act well/be directed, they should try it themselves. You will be soon pulling your hair out in frustration, I assure you.

I can only suggest that before anyone gets too critical of Hollywood's inability to accurately cast comic book characters with actors who have the unusual physical dimensions of these characters and can act well/be directed, they should try it themselves.

Not buying it in this instance.

There are actors that more resemble the characters they portray than others, and some actually put in the effort to better emulate the role they'll be stepping into. As much as I dislike Henry Cavill's acting as Superman, at least he both looks like, and sufficiently bulked up to be, Superman. Ditto for Christian Bale as Batman (though I think he does a better Batman than Cavill does Superman).

Gadot, on the other hand, is slight of frame (her former work was as a fashion model...people that are part of an industry that prizes thinness) and whatever bodybuilding she committed to was woefully inadequate.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Greek+amazon+statues&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjg87mo49rLAhUCxmMKHas7COMQ_AUIBygB#imgrc=_

I've seen Wonder Woman drawn enough different ways body wise that this really doesn't bother me any more than Hugh Jackman being way taller than classic Wolverine. She's slender, no doubt, but the pics I've seen have shown muscle definition enough for me to buy it.

Admittedly, I can be exceptionally forgiving sometimes. However, in the comments I've heard about Batman V Superman, she's getting a lot of praise for her short time in it, so that speaks well